May 27 AT 2:55 PM Clark Wimberly 40 Comments

Unboxing the Google Ion (Free HTC Magic Phone from Google I/O)

After the big announcement this morning that all attendees would be getting free phones, we ran to the booth, collected our goodies, then hustled to the press box and promptly took a ton of photos of the unboxing. It was like Christmas. Except better.

We all got a free HTC Magic, newly rebranded as the Google Ion. It came complete in a custom box, has a custom boot screen, and have a Google I/O logo on the back. Also, the thing is tiny. I’m sure that’s been reported over and over, but man this thing feels awesome in my hand.

Head to Flickr and see ALL the pictures in high res goodness.

IMG_1478

IMG_1463

Clark is a developer living in Austin, Texas. He runs ClarkLab, a small web firm with his wife, Angie. He's a big fan of usability, standards, and clean design.

• TheLogik

Drool…

• Jonno.N

#jealousy

• http://profiles.google.com/michaelhaydel Michael

I dunno, sure, I’m a tad jealous I didn’t get a free phone, but I just don’t want a phone that doesn’t have a QWERTY keyboard on it.

Maybe it’s just me.

What are the benefits of the Ion over the G1? Longer battery life, larger screen, stuff like that?

• http://www.twitter.com/tdh004 tdh

I agree. HTC G1 was my first cell phone in years, and I’m pretty sure that any phone from this point forward will have to have a full keyboard for me. It’s just how it’s going to have to be.

Is it more “powerful?” RAM? CPU? PWN iPhone button included?

G1 itself makes me happy. Android does the trick. G1 battery makes me cry. Barely lasts a work day.

• Loco

this is truely amazing !

• http://www.mymedbox.com Jeff Brandt

I am bummed but on vacation.

• CW

Truly, FTW

This type of goodie is like those back in the dot-com boom days.

• http://nitenren.blogspot.com Renarudo

If I wanted a Touch-Screen Only Phone, I would have got an iPhone.

However, a Touch-Screen Only Phone that runs Android is STILL better than an iPhone.

Oh sheesh, it’s shiny…. Someone get InvisibleShield over here ASAP.

• !=CW

@CW, truly a defeatist attitude, mister. Pish, what a shame!

• http://www.adoleo.com Brandon Konkle

Fantastic! We’re all totally jealous!

• prmd142

Google ROCKS!!!!!

• John

And here I am Ion-less. Hmm, I work 4 blocks away from the convention center.

Maybe i will sit on the street and beg for phones instead of money.

• Nick

I am so jealous.I wish I could have gone, but alas, I couldn’t afford the travel/accommodations/etc. Google gives out the most amazing goodies.

• Pingback: Google I/O : HTC Magic gratuits pour tous !()

• Nick

You should do a contest to win one!

• http://twitter.com/rickyrescue Ricky

Wow, you guys are so lucky! :O
    That thing looks really nice.

• William

I wish i could have gone… although im getting my G1 today or tomorrow and i kinda like the hardware keyboard better

• Pingback: [图片+视频]Google I/O大会的礼品:黑色限量版HTC Magic! | 深度GPHONE()

• http://www.androidtapp.com AndroidTapp.com

Nicely Done! I need one now ;-P

• Pingback: Unboxing del Google Ion (HTC Magic) regalado en Google I/O | AndroidApps()

• http://YoLookAtDat.wordpress.com Justin Robinson

Jeeeeeezzz….. I am soooooo jealous . . .

• http://YoLookAtDat.wordpress.com Justin Robinson

SOOOOOOOO. . . what is the memory capacity on that … and can you just stick ya sim card in it and be ready to go?

• http://www.nexsoftware.net nEx.Software

As for memory, I’ve installed a few things on mine and am reporting 279 MB left on the internal memory. It came with a 2GB SD.

• http://www.nexsoftware.net nEx.Software

I haven’t tried sticking in my SIM yet. They gave us a month of free service along with it so I figure I’ll use that first.

• Pingback: androfun - Google I/O Opening Keynote Highlights (HTML 5 and FREE PHONES)()

• Pingback: ARTICLE: Free Android phones for all at Google I/O | Cell Phone Reviews()

• http://gardenwife.com Gardenwife

It came with a 2GB SD? Does it have any special tweakage for using that, or do you have to use Apps2sd?

• http://www.nexsoftware.net nEx.Software

There is nothing in this build to facilitate Apps2SD.

• Calldrop

I heard that all developer models cannot run apps that are ‘bought’ from the android market … is that true?

• Pingback: Off Beat Michael » New Android Phone To Be Announced Next Week()

• Pingback: New Android Phone To Be Announced Next Week | Techgeist()

• Pingback: T-Mobile myTouch 3G with Google | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• http://www.mobi.rs Mobilni

We hope that will be faster then iPhone 3GS and Sony Ericsson Xperia 10?

• http://dslr-camera.co.cc amz

let’s me see I love new androidandme website because it’s show me a new technology.

• Pingback: Google continues to give out free Nexii (Nexus One phones) – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Game scope()

• Pingback: Game scope()

1. TheLogikGuest 6 years ago

Drool…

2. Jonno.NGuest 6 years ago

#jealousy

3. MichaelGuest 6 years ago

Maybe it’s just me.

• tdhGuest 6 years ago

Is it more “powerful?” RAM? CPU? PWN iPhone button included?

4. LocoGuest 6 years ago

this is truely amazing !

5. Jeff BrandtGuest 6 years ago

I am bummed but on vacation.

6. CWGuest 6 years ago

Truly, FTW

This type of goodie is like those back in the dot-com boom days.

7. RenarudoGuest 6 years ago

If I wanted a Touch-Screen Only Phone, I would have got an iPhone.

Oh sheesh, it’s shiny…. Someone get InvisibleShield over here ASAP.

8. !=CWGuest 6 years ago

@CW, truly a defeatist attitude, mister. Pish, what a shame!

9. Brandon KonkleGuest 6 years ago

Fantastic! We’re all totally jealous!

10. prmd142Guest 6 years ago

Google ROCKS!!!!!

11. JohnGuest 6 years ago

And here I am Ion-less. Hmm, I work 4 blocks away from the convention center.

Maybe i will sit on the street and beg for phones instead of money.

12. NickGuest 6 years ago

13. Google I/O : HTC Magic gratuits pour tous !Guest 6 years ago

[...] Sources : AndroidGuys & Android and Me [...]

14. NickGuest 6 years ago

You should do a contest to win one!

15. RickyGuest 6 years ago

Wow, you guys are so lucky! :O
    That thing looks really nice.

16. WilliamGuest 6 years ago

17. [图片+视频]Google I/O大会的礼品:黑色限量版HTC Magic! | 深度GPHONEGuest 6 years ago

[...] [来自AndroidCentral,图片来自Androidandme,视频来自AndroidCommunity] 标签: Google I/O, Google Ion [...]

18. AndroidTapp.comGuest 6 years ago

Nicely Done! I need one now ;-P

19. Unboxing del Google Ion (HTC Magic) regalado en Google I/O | AndroidAppsGuest 6 years ago

[...] androidandme Artículos relacionados:(Vídeo) Google regala 4000 HTC Magic con Android en Google I/O(Vídeo) HTC [...]

20. Justin RobinsonGuest 6 years ago

Jeeeeeezzz….. I am soooooo jealous . . .

21. Justin RobinsonGuest 6 years ago

• nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

• nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

22. androfun - Google I/O Opening Keynote Highlights (HTML 5 and FREE PHONES)Guest 6 years ago

[...] HTC Dream has a new street name, the Google Ion. You can find pictures of the unboxing and details here. Again, I’m no speaker so I may have botched a few of the finer points here, but I think you get [...]

23. ARTICLE: Free Android phones for all at Google I/O | Cell Phone ReviewsGuest 6 years ago

[...] EDIT: Below is a video of the Google I/O keynote segment where the audience was told that all 4,000 of them would receive a free Android phone and a SIM that offers unlimited data and thousands of minutes for a 30-day period. It’s a variation on the Magic called Ion. [...]

24. GardenwifeGuest 6 years ago

• nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

There is nothing in this build to facilitate Apps2SD.

25. CalldropGuest 6 years ago

26. Off Beat Michael » New Android Phone To Be Announced Next WeekGuest 6 years ago

[...] next week. Suspicions are that the handset to be announced will be the Google Ion, which was already given away free to attendees of Google’s I/O conference. The Ion (also known as the Magic, the G2, and the [...]

27. New Android Phone To Be Announced Next Week | TechgeistGuest 6 years ago

[...] next week. Suspicions are that the handset to be announced will be the Google Ion, which was already given away free to attendees of Google's I/O conference. The Ion (also known as the Magic, the G2, and the MyTouch) [...]

28. T-Mobile myTouch 3G with Google | Android Tapp. Android App ReviewsGuest 6 years ago

[...] their second Android Phone called myTouch 3G with Google. Dubbed the “HTC Ion” and given away to developers at Google I/O 2009 annual conference earlier this year. The phone is staged to be the device users [...]

29. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] to discuss Android development and Sprint will be giving away 500 free Hero phones to developers (free phones are awesome). The registration fee is $350 and I would suggest signing up soon before the event fills [...]

30. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] months of waiting, Google has now officially released the ADP2 phone. The device is essentially the Google Ion phone (HTC Magic/myTouch 3G) that we received at last years Google I/O. Developers can now choose between [...]

31. Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] from Google. We were lucky enough to be invited to Google I/O 2009 where we received the Google Ion phone so I’m crossing my fingers we get a special invite to review the Nexus [...]

32. MobilniGuest 5 years ago

We hope that will be faster then iPhone 3GS and Sony Ericsson Xperia 10?

33. amzGuest 5 years ago

34. Google continues to give out free Nexii (Nexus One phones) – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] Google started the practice at last year’s Google I/O when they handed out several thousand Google Ion phones. This was followed by the Sprint Developer conference where Google and Sprint provided 500 HTC [...]

35. Game scopeGuest 5 years ago

[...] We attended the event last year and had an absolute blast. The keynote speeches by Vic Gundotra were filled with excitement and I hope he takes the stage again this year. We were spoiled treated like Google employees the entire time and even received free phones. [...]

36. Game scopeGuest 5 years ago