Jul 02 AT 12:41 AM Clark Wimberly 19 Comments

Android and Me News Widget Version 2.0 Released

It happened a few days ago, but in case you missed it: the Android and Me News Widget Version 2.0 has been released in the Android Market. The new version features numerous improvements over the old widget, including multiple sizes, notifications, and updated styling. The new look was designed by ClarkLab and the widget was again coded by nEx.Software.

The new widget comes in two sizes, large and small. The widget has a notification system that can alert you of new stories with an icon, LED, or vibration.

largeLarge Widget
The large widget is 4×1 and displays the most recent post title and blurb, along with a timestamp and ‘read more’ link. Clicking the entry will launch the widget into full screen mode.

smallSmall Widget
The small widget is a mini 1×1 and displays the most recent post title (sans blurb), along with the timestamp. Clicking the entry will launch the widget into full screen mode.

fullFull Screen Mode
The widget in full screen mode displays the 10 most recent posts, our most recent promotion (in the top corner), and buttons to refresh the feed and launch the mobile site. Pressing Menu when in full screen mode will bring up the Settings, shown below.

optionsSettings
The settings allow you to change the update frequency and notification preferences. When using the large or small widget, you can choose to turn on notifications that will alert you each time we make a new post. The alerts will place an icon in your notification tray along with an optional LED alert or vibration. You can even set the LED color to differentiate the alerts from those in your other apps.

alertAlerts
When a new story is posted and you’ve got notifications turned on, a small icon will appear in your tray. Each icon will display the number of stories posted since you last checked the widget. Clicking on the alert in the tray or launching the widget into full screen mode will clear the alert.

widgetsInstallation
The widget is currently available in the Android Market. Here is a direct link.. Alternately, you can scan the QR code below with your phone to be taken to the Market page. Once you’ve got the widget installed, simply long press in a blank spot on your home screen. A menu will come up where you can select ‘Widgets’ and then select Android and Me Large or Android and Me Small.

If you were a upgrading, please uninstall before downloading the new version.

Scan to download.

Scan to download.

The new version has been out for a day or two already and has already been downloaded over 1,000 times. Thanks for all the support you guys show our site, it really makes doing the work much easier. Also, keep an eye on the widget for a new contest announcement sometime in the next few days…

So what do you think? Do you guys like the new version? Is it an improvement over the old one?

Clark is a developer living in Austin, Texas. He runs ClarkLab, a small web firm with his wife, Angie. He's a big fan of usability, standards, and clean design.

1. Demi AdejuyigbeGuest 6 years ago

Absolutely amazing job! I wish the source code was available.

I really like the notifications icon & the full widget. Definitely a download.

2. Dylan AndersenGuest 6 years ago

Clark is the shit! Loving it.

3. nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

I’d have to agree…

4. masterpfaGuest 5 years ago

Great widget, does what it says on the tin, give us all the news we all want Android specific

5. TrinathGuest 5 years ago

Can u give the direct download from your website as in my phone there are no Android market installed

6. yes, can we get a direct link to the .apk? your site is the best and i want it on my homescreen but alas I’m I’m one of those suckers without the Google apps.

7. gregGuest 5 years ago

Its cool, only problem when I turn my phone off and on or change scenes it doesn’t load up…I have Sprint hero

8. Engadget releases Android application – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] glad the app came out when it did because we have been planning an update to our aging RSS widget which will be a full blown app. I know Clark is up to the challenge, but the bar has just been [...]

9. JosephGuest 5 years ago

Works well in widget form, but in full screen mode, everything is fuzzy. Might be due to how Nexus One pixels are displayed, hoping a solution can be made to render it differently. Otherwise, works well.

10. ApGuest 5 years ago

It sure looks good and all, but I’d really rather have a dedicated app (like Engadget) instead of a battery-draining widget.

11. Applicazioni Android per Leggere Blog e News Sites | Il blocco-note di MarkingegnoGuest 5 years ago

[...] Un esempio molto ben riuscito è l’applicazione di Engadget, Android And Me, autorevole fonte per tutto ciò che riguarda il sistema operativo di casa Google, ha invece scelto l’opzione widget. [...]

12. Name (required)Guest 5 years ago

does this slide (key pad)

13. T-Mobile fights battery drain with new Device Tune-up beta app - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid ForumGuest 5 years ago

[...] fights battery drain with new Device Tune-up beta app T-Mobile fights battery drain with new Device Tune-up beta app Taylor Wimberly on Jun 16 at 6:35 [...]

14. milkykungGuest 4 years ago

Wow :) Nice-looking app with good widgets.

What about listing only topics on the widget? Just my way of skimming thru feed topics :)

Please keep it up :)

Cheers,

15. Jose MarquezGuest 4 years ago

Hello, I lost my old phone last week. Now I have a new phone, but I can’t download the Widget from the Market, is simple not available. Do you have any info?

Someone can send me the app for installing in my phone?

Thanks