Motorola has scheduled an event on September 10th at the GigaOM Mobilize 09 conference. We know Motorola will make some Android announcements, but no official word has been given on which phones will appear. Some sites are speculating the Motorola Sholes will be absent because Verizon is not participating on that day. I have a different take on the event and I’m going to try and convince you otherwise.
The following is a short list of reasons I think the Motorola Sholes (and Android 2.0) will be unveiled on September 10th, 2009.
1. During Motorola’s earnings call last month, CEO Sanjay Jha responded with the following when asked about potential advertising for new Android phones.
“In terms of when you will see ads, well, let me tell you, around mid September timeframe we hope to be able to let you play with these devices more and get your feedback as to where you think it fits into the marketplace.”
Devices is plural.
2. When GigaOM sent an email to Motorola PR last week, they responded with the following.
Motorola Mobile Devices CEO Sanjay Jha will be making an announcement regarding the company’s Android portfolio during his keynote that day at GigaOM’s Mobilize conference.
Portfolio implies more than one Android device.
3. I was recently talking with an inside source at Motorola about the September 10th event. When I asked about which phones would be present they responded, “Morrison definitely, Sholes maybe.” If Sholes was not going to make an appearance, I think I would have been told “no” by now.
4. I’ve seen internal Motorla documents that discuss the Sholes features. They had a release date of September 10th, 2009. Obviously this is not the date the phone is going on sale, but I believe it was referring to the date when Sholes would be revealed.
5. Andy Rubin, the father of Android, is a speaker at the Mobilize 09 event. Google has been working closely with Motorola and I think Mr. Rubin will finally announce that Android 2.0 will debut on the Motorola Sholes.
If anyone has evidence to the contrary, we would love to hear what you have to say.