Aug 18 AT 12:01 AM Clark Wimberly 23 Comments

First ever Android Network Awards winners announced

The Android Network Awards have come to an end and the official winners were announced tonight on the AndroidGuys podcast. By popular request we will also reveal the runner up in each category tomorrow.

When the polls finally closed we calculated over 43,000 votes casts. I think the group of winners does a pretty good job of representing some of the best apps that Android has to offer. Keep the site bookmarked, because it will be getting several updates this week. We will also be posting new information about the next time we decide to hold a similar event.

The best way to view the awards is from your Android phone. Go to http://androidnetworkawards.com and you can click on the QR codes to link you directly to the Market.

Best Security App

Mobile Defense
by Neevo

Best Camera App

Snap Photo Pro
by Bratag

Best Home Replacement App

Panda Home
by NetDragon Websoft Inc.

Best Streaming Music App

imeem Mobile
by imeem, Inc.

Best GPS Navigation App

CoPilot Live
by ALK Technologies, Inc.

Best Twitter App

by Mobile1Sports

Best Organization / Productivity App

Astrid
by We <3 Astrid

Best Wow Factor App

Shazam
by Shazam Entertainment Ltd.

Best Reference App

WikiMobile
by Bonfire Media, Inc.

Best News App

USA Today
by USA Today

Best Finance App

PayPal
by PayPal Mobile

Best Social Networking App

Babbler for Facebook
by Kalicinscy.com

Best Entertainment App

Shazam
by Shazam Entertainment Ltd.

Best Media Player App

TuneWiki
by TuneWiki

Clark is a developer living in Austin, Texas. He runs ClarkLab, a small web firm with his wife, Angie. He's a big fan of usability, standards, and clean design.

• Maff

I can’t believe PayPal won an award, they shouldn’t have been nominated because they only released their app in the US even though it works all over the world!
    In fact, I disagree with most of the winners and I voted for alternate apps

• Pingback: „The First Ever ANA Nominees“ - Android-Hilfe.de()

• chris

Same here.a few like babbler, taskiller stand out. But shazam, great app, but wow? I remember it as dialup service 5 year ago it seems; Tunewiki music subtitles wowed me more. Snowstorm weather widgets blow all the nominees out of the water And is free – I now have gps location specific forecasts in htc sense style on homepage.

• Pingback: Résultats des Android Network Awards()

• Pingback: Android Networks Awards » Beitrag » Punctilio Blog()

• Adrian

Curious to know if Sherpa is available in Australia. It is not appearing in the app market here. Is it a US only service at present?

• http://www.androinica.com AndrewKam

Sherpa is US only and available to TMobile USA customers. Geodelic wants to bring different versions to other countries but it takes a lot of time and requires them to get new map data/content partners to do it. Layar would probably be a good alternative to people outside the U.S.

• Adrian

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. Will check out Layar.

• Luke

Mobile Defense is US only too. Pretty stupid award system.

• http://www.nexsoftware.net nEx.Software

The fact that some U.S. only apps won simply indicates that there might have been less non-U.S. voters who voted, or these really are the better apps in those categories.

• Pingback: Winnaars van Android Network Awards bekend - Android - Androidplanet.nl()

• Johan

I’d say Snowstorm should’ve won the Weather App category :)

• David

Abduction and Camera ZOOM were robbed! Had people even tried these apps?! – I’m not sure how well these awards work without a proper judging panel who actually look at all apps in competition.

Panda Home a bit of a surprise too.

• Garron

I think a best way to do this would be to have 2 awards, 1 for paid apps and one for free apps. Bonsai blast may be the best free casual game, but there are lots of paid ones that are much better.

• http://www.siriusapplications.com/ Isaac Waller

None of my choices won :(

• VittyO

Jewellust is hardly a puzzle game. Casual maybe. Alphamixr should have gotten best puzzle game!

• roy

I am surprised Locale wasn’t even nominated in GPS, Tool or System apps.

Also, CameraZoom is an expensive rip-off of Snapphoto so no, it shouldn’t even have been nominated. This poll was for excellence, not theft of intellectual property. Snapphoto was the rightfull winner, because it is original and it is better than the rest.

• Steve

CameraZoom is not an expensive rip-off. It costs £1.29 and has better features like photobooth and stability meter.

I too would have seen CameraZoom as the winner in its category but I guess it hasn’t been around long enough for enought people to vote.

• wayne

Umm, snapphoto has photobooth and stability control…

• Steve

Snap has basic stability control but not a stability meter. Camera ZOOM has a meter – think of it like a heartbeat which shows whether you are in stable threshold and how long you have been inside it – pretty cool and much easier to use!

Also there is a difference between burstmode and photobooth – Snap has the former, but Camera ZOOM has both, which means you can create pictures like Quad Camera on iPhone (2×2, 1×4, etc.)

If more people took the time to try out competing products in each category, I think the results might have looked different … the organizers should take this on board for the next ANA’s!!

• Grammy

So, now I really don’t have faith in any of the award winners. I am a rookie grandma and need these types of awards picks to save me time and grief. Please give me your picks for security & music. Also, I have a MyTouch and it does not offer ShopSavvy…Grocery King is #1 on my phone, but I also want to be able to match what I have in the pantry with recipes & get a grocery list. Can someone give Gram some help? It could be worth a box of cookies.

• http://gl0rify.com Stefing

WeatherBug has a lot of issues (since when is Fahrenheit ‘English’?), I prefer The Weather Channel app.

• http://www.kacaudah.com Ramon Ritenour

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for inexperienced blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

1. MaffGuest 6 years ago

In fact, I disagree with most of the winners and I voted for alternate apps

2. „The First Ever ANA Nominees“ - Android-Hilfe.deGuest 6 years ago

[...] [...]

3. chrisGuest 6 years ago

4. Résultats des Android Network AwardsGuest 6 years ago

[...] : androidandme.com [QR] Cet article a été publié dans News avec les mots-clefs : Android, application, [...]

5. Android Networks Awards » Beitrag » Punctilio BlogGuest 6 years ago

[...] komplette Liste aller Sieger findet man auch im Android and me Blog. AKPC_IDS += "1044,";Popularität: [...]

6. AdrianGuest 6 years ago

• AndrewKamGuest 6 years ago

• AdrianGuest 6 years ago

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. Will check out Layar.

7. LukeGuest 6 years ago

Mobile Defense is US only too. Pretty stupid award system.

• nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

8. Winnaars van Android Network Awards bekend - Android - Androidplanet.nlGuest 6 years ago

[...] Android & Me [...]

9. JohanGuest 6 years ago

I’d say Snowstorm should’ve won the Weather App category :)

10. DavidGuest 6 years ago

Panda Home a bit of a surprise too.

11. GarronGuest 6 years ago

12. Isaac WallerGuest 6 years ago

None of my choices won :(

13. VittyOGuest 6 years ago

14. royGuest 6 years ago

I am surprised Locale wasn’t even nominated in GPS, Tool or System apps.

15. SteveGuest 6 years ago

16. wayneGuest 6 years ago

Umm, snapphoto has photobooth and stability control…

17. SteveGuest 6 years ago

• GrammyGuest 6 years ago

18. Mobile Defense is U.S. only (what tiny fraction of the world’s population lives there?!) but an international version is said to be on its way – although that may not be free.

19. Ramon RitenourGuest 4 years ago