Aug 24 AT 10:10 AM Taylor Wimberly 16 Comments

First Verizon Android phone coming in October?

The Boy Genius Report has posted new images that reveal Verizon Wireless’ upcoming release schedule.  Among the phones listed is the Motorola Sholes with a “Late Oct” release.  When the first details of the Sholes leaked, I predicted an October release, but I would be surprised if it actually happened.  Our sources have told us Sholes will ship Eclair (a future Android upate) and I have a hard time believing it will be ready by October.  This is the reason I change my prediction to November.

The price is still to be determined, but we predicted $199.  This would put it in the same price point of the Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS.  We should get more details on the Motorola Sholes in mid September and get our hands on the device at the upcoming MOTODEV Summit this October 6th, 2009.

The Sholes might be coming sooner than we expected.

The Sholes might be coming sooner than we expected.

Verizon customers are in for a treat this holiday season.

Verizon customers are in for a treat this holiday season.

• William

I am at school right now and they blocked the forums :(

• http://www.thefutureofblog.com Jeremiah

Shhhh…. Don’t tell my girlfriend! I’m having her switch to T-Mobile for the MT3G :p

Great looking phone! Hopefully it has a ton more internal storage than either the G1 or MT3G. . . They’re going to need it to compete with the iPhone 3GS or Palm Pre!

• A-tai

Which phone is the MT3G? I want the HTC Hero but it looks like it’s only going to be avail on Sprint.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

MT3G = myTouch 3G for T-Mobile

Hero might be coming to AT&T and Sprint.

• Quasar

I was tempted to get the MT3G but now I’m waiting for the Motorola Morrison. If the leaked specs are right, it will be a better phone than the myTouch. It’s rumored to have more RAM, a better camera and possibly UMA. I’m waiting to hear about the battery life and screen size next. With any luck, maybe it will run smoother than the myTouch too.

• http://blog.wirelesszone.com cellulkarchloe

I thought Motorola’s Android was going to be the Calgary.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Calgary was an early code name. It has not been used in awhile. The first Motorola phones should be the Sholes (Verizon) and Morrison (T-Mobile).

• http://codeshogun.com lordhong

Can’t wait for this one!!!

• jasonlee

Taylor-
    Any idea if it will be total google experiance, or a locked verison waste of android and great hardware??

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Yes, my sources tell me you will get all the Google apps with this phone.

• chuksy

“The price is still to be determined, but we predicted $199. This would put it in the same price point of the Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS”

Before android was released we were told one of its attractions was that phones that run it would be considerably cheaper than its other rival smartphones. What is happening? I even think they are more pricey. Its like these companies are trying to reap us off.

• Daniel

I believe they’re just playing it safe. Developing a new operating system is a pretty big investment, and a similarly big risk (the platform could flop for various reasons: people wanting to stick to their WinMo/BlackBerry apps, no value being perceived compared to the iPhone, etc). So, companies want to cover all their costs ASAP (and getting some extra money from early adopters, sure). Once things stabilize (my prediction: mid-2010), prices should lower.

Remember how the iPhone was $200 more expensive on the first few months? Same reasons.

• frank fiasco

This question may be impossible to know at this point but I thought I’d ask.

Will CDMA phones prevent rooting? To me this is a huge bonus of an Android phone and I wouldn’t want to lose it even if the Scholes ends up being as good as I think it will.

• Pingback: 摩托罗拉的 Sholes 手机将于 10 月底由 Verizon 发售? | 谷奥——探寻谷歌的奥秘()

• http://motorola-android.com/ motorola android

We at http://motorola-android.com/ can’t wait for the new phones.

• Pingback: Motorola Sholes and Android 2.0 set for October launch on Verizon | Android and Me()

1. WilliamGuest 6 years ago

I am at school right now and they blocked the forums :(

2. JeremiahGuest 6 years ago

• A-taiGuest 6 years ago

• QuasarGuest 6 years ago

3. cellulkarchloeGuest 6 years ago

I thought Motorola’s Android was going to be the Calgary.

4. lordhongGuest 6 years ago

Can’t wait for this one!!!

5. jasonleeGuest 6 years ago

Taylor-

6. chuksyGuest 6 years ago

• DanielGuest 6 years ago

7. frank fiascoGuest 6 years ago

This question may be impossible to know at this point but I thought I’d ask.

8. 摩托罗拉的 Sholes 手机将于 10 月底由 Verizon 发售? | 谷奥——探寻谷歌的奥秘Guest 6 years ago

[...] Android and Me 本站文章除注明转载外,均为本站原创编译 [...]

9. motorola androidGuest 6 years ago

We at http://motorola-android.com/ can’t wait for the new phones.

10. Motorola Sholes and Android 2.0 set for October launch on Verizon | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[...] Motorola A855 Sholes Android device is slated for an October launch.  This October date matches an earlier Verizon roadmap that was leaked last [...]