Sep 14 AT 4:30 PM Taylor Wimberly 13 Comments

T-Mobile 3G to reach 21Mbps in 2010

T-Mobile CTO Cole Brodman revealed that T-Mobile will ramp up their 3G speeds to 21 Mbps in 2010. They expect to have its 7.2Mbps HSDPA service online by the end of 2009 and move to HSPA+ in 2010. It remains unclear when T-Mobile will build their 4G network, but HSPA+ should extend the life of their growing 3G network. According to Cole Brodman, T-Mobile is likely to go with LTE technology for 4G.

Sprint has chosen WiMax for their 4G network and claims peek download speeds of 10Mbps. Verizon is going to be building their 4G network in 2011 and has selected LTE technology which offers 50 to 60 Mbps.

You can see an archived copy of Cole Brodman’s talk with Om Malik on GigaOM TV.

Fantastic…now if only I had better then 13Kbps down in Cincinnati, OH over edge….

• ryan mills

Good to see TMo working to make us go alittle faster.

Now, for the phones with the faster processers.

• http://www.nexsoftware.net nEx.Software

The existing Android phones cap out at about 7.2 Mbps… So, don’t fret… you’ll have to go buy that new phone with faster processor… :)

• http://www.cyclebrain.com Brandon

Now if they would only finish rolling out 3G to their existing markets, why doesn’t Salt Lake get any love?

• Ogdenite

Here, here!!!

• Tydiz

No kidding…Nonetheless though, I get an amazing edge connection in Salt Lake..almost 200Kbps last time I tested it(You can blame the new Donut radio improvements for that increased speed :) )

• Rizoh66

10-4, Copy that!!! I was told by a T-Mobile rep in the T-Mobile store that we should have 3G by the end of the month…

• http://www.twitter.com/DrJeckyl Dr.Jeckyl

Wish they would just have 7.2 here where I live. I won’t complain about it then, I promise.

• Tom

So how can you tell how fast the 3G is in your area?

I just got a new myTouch, will I be able to take advantage of the faster speed when it comes? I would hope so.

• webby

Tom – I have an app called Extreme Labs Speedtest I have had for some time. Using it, I can run speed tests on my G1 on 3G, Edge, or WiFi. Check the Market and see if that app is still available. If not, I’m sure there is one or more speedtest apps of some kind on the Market.

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android and Me()

1. loginfliggleGuest 6 years ago

2. ryan millsGuest 6 years ago

Good to see TMo working to make us go alittle faster.

Now, for the phones with the faster processers.

3. nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

4. BrandonGuest 6 years ago

• OgdeniteGuest 6 years ago

Here, here!!!

• TydizGuest 6 years ago

• Rizoh66Guest 6 years ago

5. Dr.JeckylGuest 6 years ago

6. TomGuest 6 years ago

So how can you tell how fast the 3G is in your area?

7. webbyGuest 6 years ago

8. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] know T-Mobile is working to upgrade their 3G network to HSDPA (7.2 Mbps) in 2009 and HSDPA+ (21 Mbps) in 2010, but how fast is it right now? The T-Mobile G1 and myTouch 3G are capable of HSDPA  7.2, but I do [...]

9. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] Turn it on in Settings › Safari to view this website. Select category: 7 Complaints  (3) Accessories  (9) Android Bounty  (5) Android OS News  (43) Applications  (71) Ask Andy  (8) AT&T  (2) Beginners  (1) Carriers  (36) Cellular South  (1) China Mobile  (1) Contests  (30) Developers  (4) dotw  (2) Fujitsu  (1) Games  (34) Google I/O  (9) Guides  (37) Hacks  (13) HTC  (8) Interviews  (1) Lenovo  (1) LG  (2) Manufacturers  (19) Mobile Analytics  (5) Motorola  (14) News  (171) Phones  (14) Reviews  (72) Samsung  (5) Site News  (6) Sprint  (9) T-Mobile  (17) Telefónica Europe  (1) Three Tips For New Users  (2) Uncategorized  (5) Verizon  (12) Videos  (36) Vodafone  (1) Select Tag: adc2 (7) ahome (7) ahome g1 (6) android (106) android 1.5 (10) android 2.0 (10) android answers (7) android application (10) android applications (12) android bounty (8) android game (10) android games (29) android market (23) android news (12) android phone (7) android phones (14) android questions (8) android review (25) android reviews (7) android widgets (6) ask andy (8) bendroid (7) bits (47) contest (11) cupcake (18) desktop replacement (7) donut (12) dxtop (8) eclair (11) featured (28) google (7) google android (22) Google I/O (10) guide (9) htc (12) htc g1 (8) jesusfreke (7) motorola (15) motorola sholes (14) mytouch 3g (11) open home (7) planetandroid (16) shinobiwan23 (7) Sprint (11) t-mobile (16) t-mobile g1 (11) tmobile g1 (7) twitter (7) Verizon (11) youtube (16) My Account: T-Mobile 3G to get speed boost later this year Sep 29th, 2009 @ 08:00 am › Taylor Wimberly ↓ Leave a comment Ads by GoogleBlackBerry® Official Site – Discover How Much More You Can Do – http://www.BlackBerry.com/Curve8520 Over the weekend I asked our readers to benchmark their 3G network using an Android phone and the response was great. After reviewing the results, it looks like T-Mobile 3G tops out around 1.0 Mbps on Android phones. This got me thinking because we reported several weeks ago that T-Mobile had announced it would be upgrading their network in 2010 to HSPA+ which goes up to 21 Mbps. [...]

10. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] 3G network, but come later this year they will have the fastest. CTO Cole Brodman first revealed in September that T-Mobile would upgrade their 3G network to HSPA 7.2 in 2009 and HSPA+ (21 Mbps) in [...]