Oct 30 AT 2:17 PM Taylor Wimberly 12 Comments

Sprint to add carrier billing for Android Market

Sprint held their 9th annual developers conference this week and lots of Android bits are still slipping out. I previously reported that this was coming, but Sprint confirmed that they aim to add carrier billing for application purchases on all storefronts, including the Android Market. Hopefully, this will increase app purchases since customers will not be forced into signing up for a Google Checkout account. No word when this feature will become available, but more payment options is always better for the consumer.

I anticipate we will see a similar carrier billing option from T-Mobile as well.

• Danny

so this mean when we want to buy app on android market it going to be on our sprint bill

• http://www.nexsoftware.net nEx.Software

Sounds like it. I wonder what sort of impact this will have on the whole return policy in the Android market. I assume under the hood Google Checkout might still be involved and then they simply submit the charge to Sprint after that 24 hour period passes.

• Daniel

Wow, this is pretty big. I really hope they bring that to other countries too.

• George

“Forced to use Google Checkout?” What’s wrong with Google Checkout? It rocks!

• http://plankhead.com Zacqary Adam Green

Agreed. I have no idea why people would have a problem with it.

• http://Website Jan Klincewicz

I had my Google Checkout breached once and somebody charged a few Xboxes to my account and I lost my gmail for a week. That does NOT rock !!

• Pingback: Android and Me()

• Pingback: Celebrity Android User: Gina Trapani – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Game scope()

• Pingback: Android Users (and Devs) Get a Lift from AT&T()

• http://Website austin

Must suck for the billing guys at sprint. Its gonna be funny when little Johnny buys 30 games and dad sees the bill lol.

• Pingback: Android Market Now Offers AT&T Direct Carrier Billing — TheTelecomBlog.com()

1. DannyGuest 6 years ago

• nEx.SoftwareGuest 6 years ago

2. DanielGuest 6 years ago

Wow, this is pretty big. I really hope they bring that to other countries too.

3. GeorgeGuest 6 years ago

“Forced to use Google Checkout?” What’s wrong with Google Checkout? It rocks!

• Zacqary Adam GreenGuest 6 years ago

Agreed. I have no idea why people would have a problem with it.

• Jan KlincewiczGuest 5 years ago

4. Android and MeGuest 6 years ago

[...] has also recently announced they will be adding carrier billing for the Market and it will be interesting to see how Google [...]

5. Celebrity Android User: Gina Trapani – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] Sprint has also promised to allow carrier billing, but has yet to provide a launch date. [...]

6. Game scopeGuest 5 years ago

7. Android Users (and Devs) Get a Lift from AT&TGuest 4 years ago

[...] to do for a consumer is just tack it on to their bill. T-Mobile has previously supported this and Sprint announced last year that it would, though it hasn’t followed through. Verizon Wireless supports carrier billing [...]

8. austinGuest 4 years ago

9. Android Market Now Offers AT&T Direct Carrier Billing — TheTelecomBlog.comGuest 3 years ago

[...] fray, Google would expect Android Market sales in the U.S. to get a major boost. Sprint was also expected to support carrier billing but that hasn’t happened as yet. There’s no official word on whether Verizon plans to [...]