UPDATE: Google and Verizon just finished their press conference and while they didn’t announce any new handsets, they did announce a strategic partnership. This is great news considering our recent poll which showed Verizon needs to gain the Android community’s trust.
Highlights of the agreement include:
- Multiple Android handsets (to be announced in a few weeks)
- Android market will ship on all devices
- Verizon will support Google Talk (unlike AT&T)
For full details you can view the official press release.
It is getting late and we are in San Diego to cover the Motodev Summit which is taking place in the morning. We were about to go to bed early when we received the following email.
VERIZON WIRELESS AND GOOGLE LIVE WEBCAST 10 A.M. EST TODAY (October 6, 2009)
WHO: Verizon Wireless, the nation’s leading wireless provider, and Google™
WHAT: Verizon Wireless and Google will host a webcast today. Speakers include:
- Lowell McAdam, chief executive officer, Verizon Wireless
- Eric Schmidt, chairman and chief executive officer, Google
What are the odds that Google and Verizon make a major announcement only hours before Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha will be giving a keynote at the Motodev Summit?
We have no idea what the Google/Verizon announcement is, but we will let you guys debate it over the next 9 hours.