Oct 19 AT 8:57 PM Taylor Wimberly 6 Comments

Spring Design announces Android powered eReader

Barnes & Noble is set to announce their eReader tomorrow, but it looks like another company is trying to beat them to the punch. This morning, Spring Design announced Alex, another e-book reader powered by Android. The device features two displays and looks oddly similar to the leaked pics of the B&N eReader. (This is not the B&N device!)

Engadget points out this press release might be part of a looming patent dispute. Spring Design has a domain registered by Albert Teng, who has numerous patents pending for “electronic devices having complementary dual-displays.”

Check out the official Spring Design site for the full press release.

This is not the Barnes & Noble e-reader.

This is not the Barnes & Noble e-reader.

• http://simplyblog.net Miguel

Looks neat but if I had to pick one I’d go with B&N eReader. :)

• http://www.kotad.com Midboss

• Pingback: Attack of Android eReaders – Android and Me()

• Christopher Silva

This is an interesting concept also. Seem very long, would like some more details.

• http://Website B

One of my greatest worries with buying an e-reader is that the format (file type) options are limited on certain readers. And as I’ve never had one before, I’d hate to buy one and find out I can’t get the book I want in the format I need for my reader. If this one works with all the formats listed here http://www.ask.com/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats (chart at bottom of the page) as compatible with Android, it puts it well above the competition and I’ll have to say I’m impressed. my two requirements for an ereader have been e-Ink and being able to read as many of the file types as possible because I just don’t know what file types I’ll be needing most.

I have to say, this sounds great!

• Pingback: Nook pre-orders get delayed | Android and Me()

1. MiguelGuest 5 years ago

Looks neat but if I had to pick one I’d go with B&N eReader. :)

2. Eh, I don’t like the look of it personally. The 2nd screen, while nice is too big for me. Besides it looks too long, longer than any textbook I own or anything and that wouldn’t cut it. I’m defiantly checking out the B&N one when its shown tomorrow. And if its at a $175 or less price range then its bought too!

3. Attack of Android eReaders – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] a big week for Android powered eReaders. First we had the Barnes & Noble Nook, followed by the Spring Alex, now enTourage ups the ante with the eDGe. The enTourage eDGe is the world’s first dualbook [...]

4. Christopher SilvaGuest 5 years ago

5. BGuest 4 years ago

I have to say, this sounds great!

6. Nook pre-orders get delayed | Android and MeGuest 2 years ago

[…] sites are speculating that B&N’s legal troubles with Spring Design (remember the Alex?) could be the source of the most recent delay. Spring Design had been trying to get an official […]