Feb 18 AT 8:36 PM Taylor Wimberly 23 Comments

Google Shopper now available in Android Market

I did a Google search and found nothing, but Google Shopper is now available in the Android Market. As if the name didn’t tip you off, this is an application for shopping. Users can search for products using voice, pictures, barcodes, or plain old text. A YouTube video is upcoming, but I wanted to get this news out there.

From Google: Shopper recognizes books, CDs, DVDs, and video games by their cover art, and also offers barcode scanning and voice search. You can view prices, reviews, and specs, and star your favorites for later. Shopper also saves your history for use offline and lets you share products with friends. Currently U.S. prices only.

Download it and let us know what you think. Does ShopSavvy have a real competitor now?

Update: Speaking of ShopSavvy, we contacted the founder of Big in Japan to get his response.

“From our perspective it is more of the same. Google has always had a barcode scanner – i.e. ‘Barcode Scanner’. It was available the first day just like ShopSavvy was. It uses Google’s shopping data which is good (we include it in ShopSavvy), but we also have direct relationships with 20,000+ retailers. Google and Amazon are and have always been our biggest competitors.”Alexander MuseBig in Japan

Features of Google Shopper include:

• Detailed product information: Find prices, reviews, specs, and more. Shopper is powered by Google Product Search.
  • Barcode scanning: Scan the barcode of almost any product to quickly learn more about it.
  • Save your history and favorites: Shopper saves your history and lets you star your favorites for later.
  • Scan the covers of books and media: Find a product by simply pointing your camera phone at the cover art of a book, CD, DVD, or video game.
  • Voice search: Say the name of a product and find it easily in Shopper.
  • Share your finds with friends: Find something you want to share? Click on the share link to post to Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Instant Messaging, etc..

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Source: Google Shopper

• http://twitter.com/tdh004 tdh004

So far it seems to do what Shop Savvy does, and Google Goggles. Took a little bit, but I was finally able to find the link for the YouTube video in the screenshot. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3A6iPKhlrM)

I’m at work, so I don’t much in the way of items to scan, so I can’t fully test it. Hoping it’s faster than the barcode scanning in other apps on my G1. Man I need a Nexus One….

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Thanks but I found the official video now that the Shopper site is live.

How did you find that video by the way? It looks like it was uploaded 5 days ago.

• http://twitter.com/tdh004 tdh004

The login screen for Shopper on my G1. If I clicked on the screenshot of the video it opened the YouTube App. Added it to favorites, and then checked my YouTube account. I think the thing only had 9 views when I came across it.

• http://Website mendy

its pretty good… unlike shop savvy though, it doesn’t show real stores that carry the product, just online retailers.

out of curiosity, are there any other barcode scanners that people out there prefer instead of shop savvy?

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Yup ShopSavvy has a few extra options that Shopper does not. I bet Google starts including this with their firmwares though, just like they did Goggles.

• http://Website Bugdog

It worked great looking up a book cover for me, but wouldn’t scan a bar or QR code to save my life. Shop Savvy scanned the code in this post (to dl Shopper) in 2 seconds or less. Shopper didn’t read it at all. I’ll keep both for now, and hope Shopper gets updated to read codes (or I figure out how to do it right ;-)

• http://Website Jeff

Ill bet that the add all the features of shop savvy, google does what google does best, take other peoples ideas and make them better, look at what happened to more mapquest after maps came out.

• Pingback: Google Shopper now available in Android Market | Android Arena()

• http://twitter.com/tdh004 tdh004

I was finally able to play with the app once I got home.

I used to use Shop Savvy all the time, and after more and more OS updates for my G1, the barcode scanner got progressively crappier. It’s to the point that it keeps trying to auto focus and losing what it’s trying to scan.

I attempted to take picture searches of things like my PSP Go, or a DUALSHOCK 3 controller, a video game, or SNICKERS bar. It kept trying to scan, but couldn’t find anything. However if I scanned the barcode on a video game, or let it scan the title of a book, it pulled up results very well. One weird result however was when I scanned the barcode for the SNICKERS bar, it brought back a 2006-2009 Honda Ridgeline Fender left. Not quite as tasty as this SNICKERS will eventually be.

If you’re doing a barcode scan, it runs very fast on the G1. I bet this would be insane crazy fast on a Nexus One. Sadly I can’t get mine yet.

• http://gl0rify.com Stefing

The app is okay, as mentioned US prices only.
    I have a Nexus One and a G1 – the barcode scanning is way way better on the Nexus One. As are most things ;)

• http://Website James

Whereas the other barcode services that use Google Shopping pull through local (UK) results – this doesn’t. Bit strange.

• Pingback: Pandemia.info » Blog Archive » Google Shopper e basta la copertina()

• http://nickedynick.blogspot.com Nickedynick

• http://Website mendy

that’s a good point nick… unfortunately i’ve yet to find something near me (like the eiffel tower) that i can use google goggles on, but i would be curious to see if shopper would recognize landmarks such as that. any ideas?

• http://Website mendy

ok, just gave it a try using a picture of the eiffel tower… goggles brought it up right away, directing me to search results for it… shopper took a while, then brought me to “jimmy dunn – sheetrockin’ the eiffel tower” cd.

google should really just streamline the 2 apps. very cool, either way though.

• http://www.Realtime-Vista.com Michelle

You are right nick. Well, They should have included all these features in one program. But since they have done it this way, all we can do is use the program which is more applicable to us.

• MFK DGAF

• http://www.nooksurfer.com NookSurfer

Pretty interesting application. It seems like it works better than some of the ones that Apple offers. This one seems like it does more than just scan the bar code.

• Pingback: Google Shopper para Android | MuyMovil()

• Pingback: Android Solutions » Blog Archive » Google releases Google Shopper()

• Pingback: Google Shopper makes its debut in the Android market | GADGET BUZZ()

• Pingback: Google Launches Powerful Mobile Shopping App for Android | Peer Marketing Group()

• http://www.bluezeal.in saha

anyone provide me this app, I am not finding it anywhere else,even ont in android market

1. tdh004Guest 5 years ago

• Thanks but I found the official video now that the Shopper site is live.

• tdh004Guest 5 years ago

2. mendyGuest 5 years ago

3. BugdogGuest 5 years ago

4. JeffGuest 5 years ago

5. Google Shopper now available in Android Market | Android ArenaGuest 5 years ago

[...] If shopping is your thing, Google Shopper has just been added to the Android Marketplace which means that you can now whip your Android phone out at a store, scan the barcode from a product, or DVD cover and try to find a store with a lower price. You can share the results with friends, save it on the phone to visit the data later and you can even do a voice search. As far as that goes though, screaming into your phone ,”Kotex Overnight Maxis with wings” might gain you a few stares from those passing by. Check out the video below as a Nexus One is used as to show off the app. Android users can visit the source link that has a QR code that you can use to get the download. For now, only U.S. prices are available. source: GoogleMediaLabs via AndroidandMe [...]

6. tdh004Guest 5 years ago

I was finally able to play with the app once I got home.

7. StefingGuest 5 years ago

The app is okay, as mentioned US prices only.

8. JamesGuest 5 years ago

9. Pandemia.info » Blog Archive » Google Shopper e basta la copertinaGuest 5 years ago

[...] Google Shopper now available in Android Market — Android and Me. [...]

10. The thing that strikes me first about this is why didn’t they just include these features in Goggles and wait a bit to launch that? Do I really need 2 programs that do very similar things?

• mendyGuest 5 years ago

• mendyGuest 5 years ago

google should really just streamline the 2 apps. very cool, either way though.

• MichelleGuest 5 years ago

11. so after messing around with this and google goggles i’m kinda confused what the difference is. They both seem pretty much the same

12. NookSurferGuest 5 years ago

13. Google Shopper para Android | MuyMovilGuest 5 years ago

[...] Esto no es todo, ya que Google Shopper también soporta voice search, por lo que podrás decir el nombre de un producto en vez de usar la cámara. Actualmente ya existía una empresa llamada Big in Japan con un programa similar denominado ShopSawy. El fundador de la misma cree que el anuncio de la compañía de Mountain View no aporta demasiado: “Desde nuestra perspectiva es más de lo mismo, porque Google ya tenía su Barcode Scanner. Puede que usar sus datos sea fantástico, pero nosotros ya tenemos más de 20.000 retailers”. [...]

14. Android Solutions » Blog Archive » Google releases Google ShopperGuest 5 years ago

[...] Via AndroidandMe [...]

15. Google Shopper makes its debut in the Android market | GADGET BUZZGuest 5 years ago

[...] [Via Android and Me] [...]

16. Google Launches Powerful Mobile Shopping App for Android | Peer Marketing GroupGuest 5 years ago

[...] AndroidAndMe notes, the app clearly competes with the likes of ShopSavvy, who tells the publication that Google [and [...]

17. sahaGuest 5 years ago