I did a Google search and found nothing, but Google Shopper is now available in the Android Market. As if the name didn’t tip you off, this is an application for shopping. Users can search for products using voice, pictures, barcodes, or plain old text. A YouTube video is upcoming, but I wanted to get this news out there.
From Google: Shopper recognizes books, CDs, DVDs, and video games by their cover art, and also offers barcode scanning and voice search. You can view prices, reviews, and specs, and star your favorites for later. Shopper also saves your history for use offline and lets you share products with friends. Currently U.S. prices only.
Download it and let us know what you think. Does ShopSavvy have a real competitor now?
Update: Speaking of ShopSavvy, we contacted the founder of Big in Japan to get his response.
“From our perspective it is more of the same. Google has always had a barcode scanner – i.e. ‘Barcode Scanner’. It was available the first day just like ShopSavvy was. It uses Google’s shopping data which is good (we include it in ShopSavvy), but we also have direct relationships with 20,000+ retailers. Google and Amazon are and have always been our biggest competitors.”Alexander MuseBig in Japan
Features of Google Shopper include:
- Detailed product information: Find prices, reviews, specs, and more. Shopper is powered by Google Product Search.
- Barcode scanning: Scan the barcode of almost any product to quickly learn more about it.
- Save your history and favorites: Shopper saves your history and lets you star your favorites for later.
- Scan the covers of books and media: Find a product by simply pointing your camera phone at the cover art of a book, CD, DVD, or video game.
- Voice search: Say the name of a product and find it easily in Shopper.
- Share your finds with friends: Find something you want to share? Click on the share link to post to Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Instant Messaging, etc..