Feb 26 AT 1:27 PM Taylor Wimberly 14 Comments

Canada could finally gain access to paid Android apps next week

One of the biggest complaints about the Android Market comes from other countries that do not have access to paid applications. Google currently supports paid apps in 11 countries (vs 77 for Apple App Store), but they could be expanding soon.

A new report out of the Montreal Gazette says Google could be making an announcement about paid apps next week.

“There are many factors that come into play to make sure the selling and purchasing processes run smoothly. It takes time to bring support to more countries, which is something we are working hard to do.”Wendy RozelukGoogle Canada

Another interesting bit from the article is the first hint of ADC3 (Android Developers Challenge). The Gazette reports that Canadian developers will still not be able to participate in Google’s upcoming challenge because of contest rules in Quebec. Actually according to the story, Canadians will be able to take part in Google’s upcoming contest, just not those that reside in Quebec because of the lottery laws in place there. (Thanks for the correction.)

Via: Androinica

Source: Montreal Gazette

• http://whosthisguy.com Brendan

• http://Website John

Can this mean that Google Voice is on its way too?

• http://ellianth.com Anthony

of course not. Don’t be silly. *whack* now you’re gonna get people’s hopes up *whack*

Watch at the announcement they announce that the market will be coming soon, instead of ‘available today!’

P.S. I just got my milestone! YAY YAY!!

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• http://Website John

LOL … I tried!

Hey, u can probably answer this…

Do u use Google Voice in Canada with the few ‘workarounds’ available? If so, how is it? What are the trade-offs, if any?

• http://Website Haywir3

Actually according to the story, Canadians WILL be able to take part in Google’s upcoming contest, just not those that reside in Quebec because of the lottery laws in place there. Should edit that.

• http://Website G

YES FINALY, I can move a way from using slieme.org for my apps.

That is there is nothing wrong with slideme.org just low amount of apps and the apps are not updated on time.

• http://Website Daniel

And they don’t tell you about app upgrades, and you have to re-enter your login info every single time you reopen the store, and they have this sloppy “if the store upgrade fails, uninstall and reinstall it” policy, and their hacked-on procedure for upgrade of paid apps (which makes you worried they might be billing you again). And I haven’t seen them moving a finger to improve these problems, or any other, since when I first used it, around last September I think.

I don’t wish them bad, but considering the quality of their service, I’m avoiding to have to deal with them as much as possible. Hopefully they’ll improve over time, but honestly I’m not holding my breath.

• http://Website STENDEC

I’m kind of in the same boat as you poor Canadians. I’m in Australia, and we DO have access to paid apps on some carriers, BUT NOT MINE. And what’s really annoying is that it’s only because my carrier (Virgin) piggy-backs off of Optus, and they’re the ones who refuse to allow access to paid apps. Apparently they want a larger cut of the profits from Google and of course they’re not getting it. So even though I’m not with Optus, I can’t get to the paid apps sections. Grrrr.

• http://Website Kevin

Oh! Good news for canadian. By the way, I don’t know when the people who live in Thailand like me can get this service. So sad.

• http://Website Al

I don’t get this, how did Apple manage to bring their app store to so many different countries so quickly? Surely Google can manage it if Apple can?

• http://Website qlimy

Please open paid market for developers in Swiss….my app iswaiting….bye

• Pingback: Welcome to the wonderful world of paid apps Canada! – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Canada could finally gain access to paid Android apps next week | UX Archives()

1. FINALLY! Not that there aren’t alternatives, but it will be so nice to be able to purchase via the Market.

2. JohnGuest 5 years ago

Can this mean that Google Voice is on its way too?

• AnthonyGuest 5 years ago

P.S. I just got my milestone! YAY YAY!!

• Most of the previous announcements from Google were in the form of “these countries are turned on today” and not the “coming soon” type. We will have to wait and see.

• JohnGuest 5 years ago

LOL … I tried!

Hey, u can probably answer this…

3. Haywir3Guest 5 years ago

4. GGuest 5 years ago

YES FINALY, I can move a way from using slieme.org for my apps.

• DanielGuest 5 years ago

5. STENDECGuest 5 years ago

6. KevinGuest 5 years ago

7. AlGuest 5 years ago

8. qlimyGuest 5 years ago

Please open paid market for developers in Swiss….my app iswaiting….bye

9. Welcome to the wonderful world of paid apps Canada! – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] the possibly imminent arrival of paid apps in Canada a couple weeks ago and Androidandme reader “G__” tipped us to the fact that they have gone live today. The [...]

10. Canada could finally gain access to paid Android apps next week | UX ArchivesGuest 1 year ago

[…] Canada could finally gain access to paid Android apps next week […]