Feb 11 AT 5:25 AM Taylor Wimberly 12 Comments

Gustaf demos face recognition on the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is something we could call a “superphone”, except it is launching with Android 1.6. Sony Ericsson is hoping most customers will not care, by offering a crazy UI and exclusive apps like TimeScape and MediaScape.

Face recognition is another prime feature that SE is showing off on their product blog. The technology allows the phone to recognize people’s faces in pictures and automatically tag them with their name. This saves times in labeling photos and groups them together based on the contact.

The Xperia X10 is expected to go on sale next month in the UK for £499.99, but no U.S. carrier has announced they will support the phone. We continue to hear a U.S. launch will happen (possibly in Q2 2010), but it’s starting to look like Sony Ericsson might end up selling an unlocked device direct to consumers.

Gimmick or useful feature? You decide.

Via: Androinica

Source: Sony Ericsson Product Blog

• http://Website timdawg919

Phone looks nice and I’m a phone freak but I can’t do another android with an outdated system. I have a g1 and that might not get updated anymore ,i bought the cliq and I’m waiting for that to be updated. Bought Nexus One and I’m so glad it has the latest OS I can’t see me buying that and going backwards and hoping and waiting for software upgrade. It’s taken Sony this long to bring it out it should at least have 2.0

• http://headtoheadracing.appspot.com/ Craigo

Android 1.6 is still pretty darn good.

If it could auto tag the photo when you uploaded it to Facebook, then it would be rather handy.

• http://schwiz.net schwiz

1.6 that is really unfortunate, I predict fail.

• Manly Man

Damn it, why all these phone starting out at 1.6!

• http://Website RJ

… because handset manufacturers do extensive integration and testing for each new Android platform version that comes from Google, and that is for each and every phone released to each carrier… that, plus the fact that Google likes to keep new things in the dark as long as possible, and they are not very good about keeping other companies fully up to date… and the cherry on top is that Google benefits big-time from having the latest and greatest phone on the market with the N1… but supposedly, most phones will get some form of 2.1 update sooner or later… the Droid is getting it very soon… but I’m sure we can expect this sort of delayed rollout for Android phones long into the future of the platform.

• Manly Man

• Manly Man

* I mean life not like

P.S all upcoming Android phone need to begin with 2.0!

• http://Website Hans

I don’t see what the big deal about it being 1.6 is. I mean that’s closer to 2.0 than 1.5. IMO, what matters most is how it performs and not what version it’s running. Sure, some apps can only run on 2.0+, but this phone is supposed to be faster than the Droid. That itself would have been enough for me to get it if I didn’t already have the Droid. All in all, there’s not a huge difference between 1.6 and 2.0.

• http://Website RJ

When you get the 2.1 update on your Droid (coming soon), this is a partial list of the enhancements you’ll get:

– Battery improvements
      – Voice recognition, for text entry in any text box
      – Improved virtual keyboard
      – 3D Gallery
      – Pinch-to-zoom (browser, gallery, and maps)
      – News and Weather widgets
      – Enhanced music app
      – Google Goggles included

• http://blog.paulriley.me.uk Paul Riley

Note to all, the X10 will start off with 1.6, but thanks to the invention of OTA updates, before too much shine has rubbed off of your phone you will witness it going through 2.0, 2.1, 2.5, 3.0 and who knows after that.

• Pingback: Sony Ericsson confirms Android 2.1 rollout in September | Android Application [dot] us()

• Pingback: Sony Ericsson confirms Android 2.1 rollout in September | Android()

1. timdawg919Guest 5 years ago

2. CraigoGuest 5 years ago

Android 1.6 is still pretty darn good.

3. schwizGuest 5 years ago

1.6 that is really unfortunate, I predict fail.

4. Damn it, why all these phone starting out at 1.6!

5. RJGuest 5 years ago

• true. but is just wrong for the Non N1 owner to suffer for an update that can take months to get! but like isnt fair So………….. on that note I will be get a N1! first dibs on updates for the win ;)

6. HansGuest 5 years ago

• RJGuest 5 years ago

– Battery improvements
      – Voice recognition, for text entry in any text box
      – Improved virtual keyboard
      – 3D Gallery
      – Pinch-to-zoom (browser, gallery, and maps)
      – News and Weather widgets
      – Enhanced music app
      – Google Goggles included

7. Paul RileyGuest 5 years ago

8. Sony Ericsson confirms Android 2.1 rollout in September | Android Application [dot] usGuest 5 years ago

[...] Gustaf demos face recognition on the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 [...]

9. Sony Ericsson confirms Android 2.1 rollout in September | AndroidGuest 5 years ago

[...] Gustaf demos face recognition on the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 [...]