The 2010 election season is right around the corner, but we are breaking out the maps early for a mobile race. Android vs iPhone.
Myxer is a mobile entertainment company that has delivered more than a billion downloads (ringtones, wallpapers, videos, etc.) to mobile phones. They have over 350,000 unique registered users who have Android handsets so they decided to get in the mobile metrics game (And why not? Everyone else is doing it.)
In their January report, they found Android usage has overtaken iPhone in eight states. Of the eight states controlled by Android, seven of them are from the Midwest great plains including Arizona, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. Some are speculating Android has picked up in these states because Verizon is the only carrier to offer broad 3G coverage in these areas.
Other interesting notes from the Myxer report include:
- Google’s Nexus One is the ‘manliest’ of all the Android Handsets. 75% of registered Myxer users with the Nexus One phone are Male.
- The Samsung Behold II and the HTC myTouch both have the largest percentage of female user’s on Myxer, with 67% of users on each handset being female.
- In January 2010 the average woman downloaded more mobile entertainment than the average man across every single Android device.
- Motorola DROID users are the least active consumers on the Android operating system, with the average user consuming 4 pieces of mobile entertainment per month.
- HTC’s Dream (G1) seems to be the handset of choice for the younger demographic. 57% of the downloads Myxer sees from HTC Dream handset are initiated from users who are between the age of 18 and 24. This is the largest percentage of users in this age demographic on any Android device on Myxer.