Feb 06 AT 3:17 PM Taylor Wimberly 22 Comments

T-Mobile Motorola CLIQ loses keyboard, gains XT, launches 3/10

A new leaked roadmap confirm earlier speculation that T-Mobile will launch an Android phone on March 10. The phone we have been calling the Zeppelin will be known as the T-Mobile Motorola CLIQ XT. This new device features virtually identical specs of the original CLIQ with the subtraction of a physical keyboard.

The CLIQ XT will launch with Android 1.5 and we expect Motorola will upgrade it to Android 2.1 in Q2 2010. We would like to see Motorola include at least Android 1.6 (like they did with the Devour), but that is unlikely to happen by launch. The Devour had a custom version of Motoblur powered by Android 1.6, but it features a different Qualcomm processor.

Motorola could probably build an Android 1.6 firmware for the CLIQ and CLIQ XT (and Backflip), but it looks like they chose to focus on Android 2.1 in order to deliver it on time.

Look for the CLIQ XT to ship in black and white colors, similar to the two designs offered for the CLIQ. Early photos of the CLIQ XT showed the device in white and the leaked roadmap shows it in black.

No price point has been announced, but expect something similar to the current T-Mobile CLIQ which debuted at $199 with 2 year agreement and now sits at $149.

Rumored specs of the Zeppelin include:

• Qualcomm MSM7201 528 MHz CPU
  • 512 MB flash ROM, 256 MB RAM
  • 3.1 inch capacitive display HVGA (480×320)
  • 5 megapixel camera with autofocus
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g, GPS, Bluetooth
  • Android 1.5 with Motoblur

An earlier pic of the Zeppelin aka CLIQ XT.

Via: TmoNews

Source: PPCGeeks

• http://facebook.com/FckingAllen Joseph Allen

It looks like a cute kids phone lol

• http://Website Tk

Boring!

Ok it looks like a nice mid level Android phone but has T-Mobile not learned from the success of the iPhone and Droid that customers want high end phones now? And the Nexus One doesn’t count with its online only status and weird restrictions in eligibility.

T-Mobile is once again the carrier with the worst lineup of phones. What’s the point of having so many Android phones when they are all boring and weak?

• http://Website DJ

I dont see much restrictions on the Nexus One, pay 530 bucks and do whatever you want with it with no strings attached. Your thinking that is a lot of money but not really if you are smart with what plan you choose with TMO you can save more money over time.

• http://Website Tk

See, Android/Cell phone nerds like you and I know about our options and are fine with paying the full price and having an Even More Plus plan. But i’m talking about the general T-Mo customer, i’m talking about my friends and family. They are too used to the subsidized model to pay so much for a phone. At the very least if T-Mo actually carried the phone in its stores it would be better.

I’m just saying that the iPhone has shown that the average person is willing to pay $200-300 for a high quality phone. But instead of releasing an Android phone with the power of a Nexus One or a Droid, they release these weak phones with last generation CPU’s and then they have ridiculous pricing like the CLIQ at $200. T-Mo has some incompetent people working in their sales department. They made the great decision to support Android, then they watch as every other carrier released a more powerful and better Android phone than them (Verizon with Droid AND Droid Eris, Sprint with Hero, and at this point i’m sure AT&T will end up with a better Android phone too soon).

Its just funny that T-Mobile is going to carry the beast of a device that is the HD2 with its 4.3″ screen and 1 GHz snapdragon CPU…, but for Android all we get this CLIQ XT with a 528 MHz ARM11 CPU.

• http://Website William Furr

Unless you’re already getting a sweet deal on a family plan, and you can’t switch to the Google-approved plan.

• http://Website telos104

yes you can, just have tmo move your line over to an indiv buy the phone and tmo will move you back to your fam plan…

• http://Website William Furr

How is this any different from the MyTouch 3G?

Oh boy, Motoblur! That’s a real big selling point….?

• http://Website adam

Yes. I have the Cliq. I didn’t get it for Blur, I got it because it has a keyboard, but now that I have had it for a few months, I like Blur. And soon I will have 2.1 AND Blur!

• http://Website Kyle

you guys can have all your “good reasons” why you dont like Blur but for me the fact that Megan Fox had it in a bath tub is reason enough for me to upgrade

• Manly Man
        • http://Website Connie

Does that mean I get to see McSteamy holding a CLIQ in the bathtub? Sign me up! Seriously, I REALLY wish when they come out with this stuff, they’d throw us a bone or something and add something to make it worth buying. I’ve had my eye on a CLIQ but why would I get this one over the original which will probably be cheaper. Hmmmm. Like the previous poster said, “C’Mon T-Mo, some of us really do want to throw our money at high end phones”.

• http://Website acdcbag

How does it differ from the My Touch? You can actually take a picture that doesnt turn out blurry and orange.

• http://Website Marcelo L

One word……Sucks.

Ok, two words…….Irrelevantly Sucks.

I can’t think of a reason for this phone. Apparently Motorola is a “hit or miss” company, and with this phone ( and frankly, from looking at the Devour, I’m inclined in the same direction with that one ) is irrelevant. Of the perhaps 5-8K people who purchase one of these throughout the lifetime of it’s availability, at least half should be intervened by their friends. Friends don’t let Friends buy crappy phones.

• http://Website RsoeHelk

I love it. Lol Looks so sleek and love the size and shape Kewl!!!!

• Pingback: Hands on T-Mobile Motorola CLIQ XT (Quench) – Android and Me()

• http://Website amethyst

I own the original cliq and I love it. It is the best
    phone I have ever owned and I love everything about my tmobile plan. I spent 5 years with sprint and 100s of $ on phones that were trash and had to deal with incompetent customer care. I dont see myself upgrading to the cliq xt because its not sigificantly different from the original but I can honestly say I will never return to sprint or any of the other big carriers like that.

• http://Website DL

I see this has WiFi. Will UMA work? I know that UMA looks to be phased out, but I’m still using it and love it.

• http://Website JB

I know I’d like to see more phones with WiFi *and* UMA. I get absolutely no service inside my apartment. So, without UMC, @Home wouldn’t even help.

• http://Website HT

I will definitely try this. I was so hooked of buying the original cliq, but that went away only after two minutes of holding the phone. Keyboard is awful, like in a cheap chinese baby toy, the screen was small and virtual keyboard and all touch things were worst than ever. And don;t get me wrong I had the money already on the counter but the cliq turned me down big time. Now this seems like it is ok.
    If it is not however I might to to test a backflip, of just fly back to Europe and buy a carrier unrestricted Nokia. I need an unlocked phone anyway so I am fine with paying the full price.

• http://Website Brett

I’m considering the Cliq xt for 2 reasons,
    1. Flash Lite, so I can get my BBC/CNN video fix
    2. Andriod 3g + TMobile = great , EZ Laptop tethering without being penalized, like at&t.

• http://Website topperr

Fine website — like it.

• frank

my phone doesnot support whatsapp

1. It looks like a cute kids phone lol

2. TkGuest 5 years ago

Boring!

• DJGuest 5 years ago

• TkGuest 5 years ago

• William FurrGuest 5 years ago

• telos104Guest 5 years ago

3. William FurrGuest 5 years ago

How is this any different from the MyTouch 3G?

Oh boy, Motoblur! That’s a real big selling point….?

• adamGuest 5 years ago

• KyleGuest 5 years ago

• ConnieGuest 5 years ago

• acdcbagGuest 5 years ago

4. Marcelo LGuest 5 years ago

One word……Sucks.

Ok, two words…….Irrelevantly Sucks.

5. RsoeHelkGuest 5 years ago

I love it. Lol Looks so sleek and love the size and shape Kewl!!!!

6. Hands on T-Mobile Motorola CLIQ XT (Quench) – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] expect T-Mobile to launch the CLIQ XT March 10, 2010 and we are still waiting on a price. This phone is essentially the same hardware of the original [...]

7. amethystGuest 5 years ago