Starting today, Verizon will begin rolling out the Android 2.1 update for the Motorola Droid. Only 10,000 users should receive the OTA update on the first day, but anyone can manually install it in a few simple steps.
Update: This is the official update file that is being sent out over the air. You can wait a week to get it from Verizon or you can download it from Google now and install it today. This update is only intended for the Verizon Motorola Droid.
We already know how to manually flash an update and we are only waiting on the official download link to be discovered. As soon as someone sends me the link, I will verify it works on my Droid and then share it with everyone else.
For complete details and benefits of the Android 2.1 update, see the official Verizon support page.
To manually install Android 2.1 on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:
- Download the official Android 2.1 firmware from: Android 2.1 (ESE81)
- Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
- Power off your phone. Hold down the “X” button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
- When you see the “/!\” symbol, press volume up and the camera button to display the recovery options.
- Use the d-pad to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
- When you see “Install from sdcard complete”, select “reboot system now”.
Having problems? Leave a comment or start a thread in our forums for help.