Mar 17 AT 5:34 PM Taylor Wimberly 22 Comments

Intel, Logitech and Sony team up for Android-powered Google TV

The New York Times is reporting that  Google and Intel have teamed up with Sony to develop a platform called Google TV. The new technology is based on Google’s Android operating system with Intel’s Atom chips powering the hardware. Google has built a prototype set-top box, but the service could eventually be integrated directly into TVs and Blu-ray players.

Logitech has been tapped to provide a remote with a tiny keyboard (picture the Boxee remote on steroids).

The project has been underway for several months, but details are limited because all testers are under a NDA with Google. We believe Google TV could also be the platform behind the recent Dish Network service that featured Google search.

A source with knowledge of the secret project said that Google TV would use a version of Google’s Chrome Web browser. The default Android browser is based off the same WebKit core, but this is the first time we have heard of Chrome running on Android. We were previously told that Android and Chrome OS would merge over time, so I can’t say this is a huge surprise.

Like Android, the Google TV software will be open source at its core so device and TV makers should be able to customize it. This means those MOTOBLUR TV rumors could actually turn out to be true.

What do you guys think? Are you ready to turn control of your TV over to Google? Which current Android apps would you like to access on a big screen?

Via: Gizmodo

Source: The New York Times

• http://blog.tenkely.net Tenkely

I would really just like to be able to search listings better. I think Google can pull that off. As far as apps are concerned… I don’t know, the Gallery app from 2.1 would be nice.

• http://Website Bob

I’ve been waiting for official set-top box news for a while but I’m surprised to hear of Intel’s involvement. An ARM chip seems to be the way to go these days. AppleTV runs on Intel’s Atom chip but that started out before the WebKit-inspired ascendancy of ARM. If AppleTV were just now coming to market, I’m sure Apple would pick ARM. ARM’s energy efficiency isn’t nearly as important for non-portable devices but it’s still cheaper. Do I really need to pay extra for an Intel chip on my next TV, Blu-ray player or set-top box? I’m also not entirely comfortable with an always-on device that demands a heat sink if not a cooling fan. ARM is good enough for the Boxee Box and Roku among others. It should be good enough for Google too.

• http://Website Jason

Good news for me. Google is taking over and I’m all for it. Unfortunately I feel it will be ad based. Well I guess that isn’t much different from normal television.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• http://Website Bob

I hope not. Now if they were giving these away for free or heavily subsidized then it would certainly be fair to fill my screen with ads every time I change the volume. Otherwise, I hope they just stick to data-mining my searches and relying on me to inevitably use their services through the included web browser, which has been Android’s strategy all along.

• http://qtp.blogspot.com Sachin

Google will buy earth one day….if it goes on like this to expand its businesses

• http://www.technoden.com vishal jindal

This seems that Google is going to explore each and every aspect where this Internet giant can put up Ads and earn revenue. http://www.technoden.com/?p=627

• http://Website Geo

OMG!! ROBO DEFENSE ON MY TELEVISION! win!

• http://Website Kenji O.

“…the service could eventually be integrated directly into TVs and Blu-ray players”

Very interesting. Wondering if cable giants like Comcast are concerned?

• http://www.droidgamers.com ExtremeT

I could see the cable companies being concerned about this since, with everything that is Google, it’ll probably be a free service, just pay for the box.

I do hope it’s an actual TV/Cable box though and not just a set-top box with a program like Boxee or Joost which are just basically video source aggregaters for the most part. If we could get premium cable channels and only have to put up with ads to get them then that would be great, even if the ads are like what Hulu does instead of banners like the google norm. Plus access to the market would be serious win all the way around.

Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

• http://www.swiftsaves.com/ emma

google is after and in every thing now days.

• http://www.kbklegal.com/ Lemon Law Attorney

They’re going for everything… just wondering if Google is going after AT&T’s Uverse market share as well

• http://Website Terrell

Google is going to become that one company in futuristic sc-fi movies that’s in everyones homes and you can connect anything and everything with one device. In this case Android based phones. I for one am all for it. love Android, love Chrome, love TV. Why not put them all together? For being a company originated as a search engine and profits from its ad, im extremely impressed by how far they have come and are willing to go.

• Pingback: Panasonic says Google TV sets will be expensive – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Google, Intel, Logitech och Sony i TV-samarbete | Teknik&Sport()

• Pingback: Google’s Android on TV set-top box()

• Pingback: A Boy And His Android » Blog Archive » Logitech Revue clears the FCC with new details revealed()

• Pingback: What kind of CPU and GPU will your first Google TV have? | A Boy And His Android()

• http://speedupmypctips.com Luther

GoogleTV has a chance to be really good. I haven’t come up with the 300 bucks it costs for a box, but I want to wait and get a better perspective of what the market is saying before spending that chunk of cash.

• http://www.ipadreviewsite.info Teach

If Google TV comes to the internet, will we be able to get it on our iPads? The iPad Review Blog is helpful, but I’m not sure how it will work?

• Pingback: 传英特尔、罗技和索尼联手打造基于 Android çš„ Google TV – 网络发现者()

1. TenkelyGuest 5 years ago

2. BobGuest 5 years ago

3. JasonGuest 5 years ago

• Yup, Google = advertising company. I don’t really mind the ads as long as they are targeted. It would be nice to filter out all the ads of crap I will never buy in exchange for products and services I would like to spend money on.

• BobGuest 5 years ago

4. SachinGuest 5 years ago

Google will buy earth one day….if it goes on like this to expand its businesses

5. vishal jindalGuest 5 years ago

6. GeoGuest 5 years ago

OMG!! ROBO DEFENSE ON MY TELEVISION! win!

7. Kenji O.Guest 5 years ago

Very interesting. Wondering if cable giants like Comcast are concerned?

8. ExtremeTGuest 5 years ago

Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

9. emmaGuest 5 years ago

google is after and in every thing now days.

10. Lemon Law AttorneyGuest 5 years ago

11. TerrellGuest 5 years ago

12. Panasonic says Google TV sets will be expensive – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] adds too much to the cost of the set”. The processing power they are referring to is likely the Intel Atom chipsets that Sony has chosen for their internet-connected [...]

13. Google, Intel, Logitech och Sony i TV-samarbete | Teknik&SportGuest 5 years ago

[...] Android and Me [...]

14. Google’s Android on TV set-top boxGuest 5 years ago

[...] Android on TV set-top box Published: March 17, 2010 http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news/intel-logitech-and-sony-team-up-for-android-powered-google-tv/Google’s Android on TV set-top box.Post from Google Buzz, 6 commentsJay NapierPosted March 18, [...]

15. A Boy And His Android » Blog Archive » Logitech Revue clears the FCC with new details revealedGuest 5 years ago

[...] Logitech Revue clears the FCC with new details revealedJuly 6th, 2010 by AdministratorGoogle TV is coming this fall and the Logitech Revue will be the first companion device available. We have learned several details about the set top box (it will run Android 2.1, support Flash 10.1, include Google Chrome Browser 5.0), but most of the hardware specs are still unknown.Thanks to a recent FCC filing, we now discover several new details via some internal and external pics. The Logitech Revue features a Gigabyte motherboard (GA-SBKAN2), 1.2 GHz Intel Atom processor (Z515), and 4 GB of memory. On the back of the device we can see 2x HDMI (in and out), 2x USB 2.0, ethernet, optical audio out, and what appears to be Control A1 (or Control S) ports. The Revue also features built in WiFi.Logitech must be really excited about the Revue because it will allow them to sell tons of their accessories to expand the functionality of the device. The company’s Harmony remote will work with the device along with several controllers, speakers and their webcams.The Revue will almost certainly support HD video calling from your living room. Logitech just released their HD Pro Webcam (C910) which records in 1080p and can make video calls in 720p. I expect Logitech will also add support for their existing line of webcams.No price point has been announced, but we expect the Revue will debut at under $499.RSS feed brought to you by the Android and Me StoreRelated PostsLogitech Revue: Meet the world’s first Google TV boxGoogle TV – An OverviewPanasonic says Google TV sets will be expensiveIntel, Logitech and Sony team up for Android-powered Google TV [...]

16. What kind of CPU and GPU will your first Google TV have? | A Boy And His AndroidGuest 5 years ago

[...] Intel, Logitech and Sony team up for Android-powered Google TV [...]