Apr 29 AT 2:07 AM Taylor Wimberly 20 Comments

Android 2.2 and Flash 10.1 coming May 20?

There will be Android related announcements coming in a couple weeks at Google I/O and all signs point to the public unveiling of Android 2.2 (Froyo). We already speculated that Android 2.2 was coming and predicted Flash 10.1 would drop at I/O and now it looks like May 20th is the date. Given that Flash 10.1 is tied to Froyo, this bodes well for a joint announcement.

On the second day of Google I/O, May 20th, there are several Android sessions scheduled for the afternoon that are listed as TBA. They likely have no topic because they are related to Android features that have not been publicly announced. Google did this at last year’s I/O when they revealed Google Wave on the second day and directly followed it up with a series of sessions.

If you follow our Googlers Twitter list you might have noticed several employees tweeting the sessions link and pointing out the TBAs. Recent Google addition Tim Bray (who now runs the Android Developrs Blog) even said, “I don’t think that I’m telling any secrets when I say that there will be Android-related announcements at that event.”

Many insiders believe the Nexus One will be the first to receive Android 2.2, but we could see a simultaneous release on the Motorola Droid. Google already shipped every paid attendee a free Android phone and they were giving out the Droid and N1. Adobe has also regularly used the Droid when taunting us with all those Flash demos.

I’ll even go out on a limb and predict some first gen devices might see an upgrade as well. A new version of the Market was pictured on a myTouch 3G with Android 2.2 and we have been told all first gen U.S. phones will eventually be upgraded. Actually, Google has stopped selling their ADP1 (HTC Dream) so maybe that device is on the way out.

Via: Android Developers Blog

Source: Google I/O

1. Chris BGuest 5 years ago

Cant wait to get this on my N1!

2. ClaudioGuest 5 years ago

This will sooo kick-ass all the iPhoner’s ;-)

3. Mike K,Guest 5 years ago

Hope the Evo launches with 2.2/Froyo! How do you think 4G and Hulu would work on that phone? We need a Hulu app!!

4. the date is confirmed ? or its still a question?

5. daveGuest 5 years ago

> the date is confirmed ? or its still a question?

See the question mark at the end of the headline?

It means it’s a question?

yes? Or you could read the article? Where it talks about speculation?

6. ZeffGuest 5 years ago

And the WiFi Proxy support? Is there any?

7. I’m so glad I bought a N1. :-)

8. MGuest 5 years ago

remember how people was taking bout fragmentation been targeted for the next update, so provably all devices might get the update since it could come without all the extra apps.. like maps, FB, carhome, youtube, etc.

9. AndrewGuest 5 years ago

As a discouraged yet loyal (and not rooted) G1 user. I’m not gonna hold my breath.

10. kokoGuest 5 years ago
  11. Bubbles loves flashGuest 5 years ago

Bubbles wants flash on bubbles Sexus one, cant wait for it so I can flash my friends.

12. android guys posted a story saying preview will be may but its droppin in june…not sure if i can post the link so i wont

13. Flash 10.1 and Froyo are scheduled for a June release – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] we finally have confirmation of our speculations regarding the big unveiling coming at Google I/O. Pairing this with Andy Rubin’s statements that support for Flash 10.1 comes in Froyo we can [...]

14. Official Apps2SD support “coming soon” to Android – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] their biggest developer’s conference next month in San Francisco. We already predicted Android 2.2 and Flash 10.1 would be unveiled during Google I/O so there is a small possibility we could see the apps2SD solution in a couple of [...]

15. LuisGuest 5 years ago

WHAT DO U MEAN THE HTC DREAM WILL BE ON THE WAY OUT ?!

16. Droid does tablets: Verizon and Google collaborating on iPad competitor – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] I/O which may mean that we are finally going to see some tablet talk from the big G themselves (perhaps one of those TBA mystery sessions). We’re looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to [...]

17. Verizon and Google vs. Apple iPad | Web Tech BuzzGuest 5 years ago

[...] Update: A spokesman for Verizon, Marquett Smith, stated in a phone interview today that they will be releasing additional details regarding the tablet later this week. That places an announcement just days prior to Google I/O which may mean that we are finally going to see some tablet talk from the big G themselves (perhaps one of those TBA mystery sessions). [...]

18. francoGuest 5 years ago

will g1 get froyo 2.2?

19. danGuest 5 years ago

GROUNG BRAKING NEWS ??? My Desire was OK, all but PROXY on wifi.

How can you use Exchange account and Calendar withou proxy?.
    Are those people idiots.

Pepople haven’t you heard. There is an option IPHONE…

20. Drew GlickmanGuest 4 years ago

Hi there are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!