Apr 27 AT 5:11 PM Sean Riley 47 Comments

Froyo (Android 2.2) will officially come with Flash 10.1 in its frosty center

Andy Rubin, VP of Mobile Platforms at Google, confirmed in an interview with the New York Times that Android 2.2 (a.k.a Froyo) will come with full Flash 10.1 support. We suspected this was a strong possibility for the Froyo release and expressed as much in our post last week.

Now we know that first gen devices will not support Flash 10.1, but with this new information a couple new question marks pop up.

Is Flash 10.1 exclusively supported by Android 2.2, or will users currently on Android 2.1 be able to download Flash separately somehow?

If it is exclusive to Android 2.2, which devices will be getting that update and when?

Does this news give any pause to any future Droid Incredible owners? The one major advantage that the Nexus One offered over the Incredible was the potential for rapid OS updates and with Flash potentially requiring just such an update that distinction just got a lot more significant.

Source: NY Times

Sean has been with Android and Me for over 4 years and covering mobile for the last 5. He occasionally muses about gadgets and tech outside of the Android universe at Techgasms.

• http://sweeterskins.net Lemon

Is it even confirmed that 2.2 will be Froyo?

• http://Website VicMatson

Ok, so does this mean that Sprint’s EVO-4G phone that hasn’t been released yet won’t get Flash 10.1 and FroYo for a year?

Sprint and HTC(Sense) have a terrible reputation of releasing new ROMs!

• http://Website Jay

I agree, I’m concerned about getting any future phones that run Sense UI because of what I’ve heard about how long it takes for HTC and the Carrier to issues updates for the Android OS.

• http://Website Bryan

• http://Website Nok

FYI.. It’s not really flash 10.1, but it’s the Flash Lite 4 that you have on your incredible right now. and the OTA you got from verizon was for the signal bar fix. Eclair doesn’t come with flash 10.1 support. I also have incredible.

• http://Website timothy helton

Will the new motorola clig xt be able to download flashplayer anytime soon??

• http://Website mor

If it has at least 1 GHz snapdragon procs then yes… hell its about time — I mean, we have been waiting this for 5 months now. Froyo goodness details.

• jeanpaul145

• http://Website Joe

The Cliq and Cliq XT, as well as all other 1st gen Android phones will get Flash 10.1 support; however, it will be in the form of Flash Lite, which is less processor intensive.

• http://Website KellyGwen

Will I be able to update my Moto Droid so that I can FINALLY have Flash or will I have to get a new phone? If I have to buy a new phone I will be royally cheesed off!

• http://Website Joe

Yes, but if the 2.1 update is any indication, you’ll probably have to wait 4-6 months for Motorola to push out the Froyo (2.2) update to Droid users, and by then, Gingerbread (2.3) will be out.

• http://Website Wallie

Nothing to do with Motorola seeing how the Droid runs on stock android all you need is for Google to openly release it which they do within a week of announcement anyway. Its Verizon that has to send out the update and the company they used to send out the 2.1 update kept screwing up. Hopefully they can get there stuff together this time

• jjl84

Motorola (finally) released a popular phone and they need to keep their customers happy. Unfortunately for the nerds, most of the Droid owners don’t even know about 2.2 so Moto doesn’t care. Just had a friend show me his “Droid” phone (It was an HTC Hero LOL) and I had no words for him.

• http://www.toysdiva.com PixelSlave

>> Just had a friend show me his “Droid” phone (It was an HTC Hero LOL) and I had no words for him.

Same here. But I don’t laugh at it. It’s actually a “good” thing to the platform as a whole. Verizon really did something good for the Android platform (at least in the US market) — it makes the word “Droid” a household name. We may not like it, we need some not so tech-savvy people to know about the Android platform. If that means they will mis-identify a HTC Hero as a “Droid”, so be it. The more users the Android platform get, the more developers it will attract. Ultimately, it will benefit us. Otherwise, all the money will just chase after the iPhone.

That said, the platform cannot suffer more segmentations. Google needs to find a way to update the OS quicker.

• http://Website mauricio

One of the benefits of owning a N1.

• stalker

I’ve also an N1. And I am agree with you on that.

• Biggbrother

• stalker

• http://Website HTConVZW

Yeah, enjoy that flash 10.1 for the few months before we get it on the incredible! Also, enjoy your 5MP camera (vs 8MP on the incredible), b/g Wifi (We have b/g/n) and ZERO onboard Storage (We have 8GB, plus the SD Card). :-)

• http://Website Digitalthug

I can tell you aren’t an avid Android follower. The N1 has wireless N built in, and it will be activated with Froyo. The update also adds apps2sd support. And its been discussed already that the N1′s 5mp camera is better than the Incredible’s 8mp. You really need to do ur research instead of just looking at numbers. I bet you believe Sprint’s 4G will be faster than Tmo’s 3.5G huh?

• http://Website Bryan

I just bought my HTC Incredible, 05/11. Right after set-up, or actually during, I received an OTA update from Verizon. My Incredible is running Flash 10.1, as confirmed by the Flash tester on Adobe’s website. My software version is listed as 2.1 – Update 1. Honestly.

• http://Website Daniel

I find it unlikely that Flash will be available as an update for earlier versions. You need the plug-in architecture for that, which AFAIK hasn’t been part of official releases yet (and it’s probably not the same as the one there’s on the repository right now, they’ll wait at least until I/O to drop the new code). Downloading a new “Browser” app isn’t enough, you need the whole WebView backend.

• jjl84

Also, what happened to the Flash beta we signed up for? I’m guessing there’s going to be a separate download for those on 2.1.

• stalker

• http://Website ROb

N1 ur the greatest thing thats ever happened to me…FrOyo here we come!! xD

• http://Website Darkseider

Right now the only phones mentioned by Adobe to be getting Flash right away are the Nexus One and the Motorola Droid. We will have to wait until Google I/O for any new news on this.

• http://Website EasyEMoney

Am I only one who thinks that having Flash built-in to an operating system is just about the worst idea since Windows Vista? It is a known fact that almost all browser security exploits are accomplished through Flash. And the privacy of cell phone data is even more important than a browsers because of the types of sensitive personal data.

Coupling Flash to the OS is a privacy and security betrayal on the part of Google. If Froyo comes with Flash built-in I will vomit in my mouth just a little, and opt to not upgrade my phone to a less secure OS that allows advertisers can sell more fancy ads.

• http://Website Joc44

Gotta love that Nexus One. Overall, it’s the best phone out and it proves it everyday!

• http://Website mojo

I completely agree, baking flash into the OS is idiotic. What will be next on this promise of openness? Apps that you cannoy uninstall, wait we have that. Or maybe gTunes?

• http://Website Bubbles hot boys holla

Bubbles loves the N1,flash will be sexy hott on it. Love android and me.

• Pingback: Flash 10.1 and Froyo are scheduled for a June release – Android and Me()

• http://www.mr.mtly@yahoo.com Earl Motley

Will I be able to down load flash 10.1 on my Motorola Droid and date when been waiting so I could get Hulu.
    Thank You.

• http://Website Jake

I heard that Hulu blocked access to the Skyfire browser for Android that converts (server-side) flash video into HTML5. If that’s true, I wonder whether they’d block any other mobile browser, even if it officially has flash.

• Pingback: Android 2.2 desktop spied on Nexus One – Android and Me()

• http://www.buyapc.org/ Jeremy Ashburn

Anyone know when this fall Froyo will be released? I’ve got the Motorola Droid and I’m jonesin for some Flash!

• Pingback: Sprint EVO 4G will ship with Android 2.1, no Flash 10.1 – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Sprint EVO 4G will ship with Android 2.1, no Flash 10.1 | Androidheadlines.com()

• Pingback: “Prepare to be blown away” by FroYo Android 2.2 – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Android 2.2 Will Officially Support Flash 10.1 [Android] | Peer Marketing Group()

• http://Website Knelly

I just got on the smartphone bandwagon with the HTC Incredible. I thought that flash would be available out of the box. After reading everyone’s posts it sounds like I will have to wait until firmware 2.2 Is that correct? Is there a way that I can download Flash and Froyo now?

Thank you!

• http://Website Dmowery

htc incredible, I’m new to this. What is Froyo, how does it work, and how do i get flash 10.1 and froyo on my droid incredible?
    Someone please explain these things to me. Thank you for your help,

• Pingback: Verizon pushes out Froyo update for the DROID Incredible | Android Application [dot] us()

• Pingback: Verizon pushes out Froyo update for the DROID Incredible()

• Pingback: Verizon pushes out Froyo update for the DROID Incredible | Android()

• http://www.uwsp.edu/ATHLETICS/mbb/05-06/index.htm Pointer Men’s Basketball

You you should edit the page name title Froyo (Android 2.2) will officially come with Flash 10.1 in its frosty center – Android and Me to more generic for your blog post you create. I liked the the writing all the same.

• Pingback: Android 2,2 supports Flash 10.1 - All Android Droid News Nachrichten()

1. Is it even confirmed that 2.2 will be Froyo?

2. VicMatsonGuest 5 years ago

Sprint and HTC(Sense) have a terrible reputation of releasing new ROMs!

• JayGuest 5 years ago

• BryanGuest 5 years ago

• NokGuest 5 years ago

3. timothy heltonGuest 5 years ago

Will the new motorola clig xt be able to download flashplayer anytime soon??

• morGuest 5 years ago

• The Cliq and Cliq XT are 1st-gen phones, so no, they wil never support flash 10.1.

• JoeGuest 5 years ago

4. KellyGwenGuest 5 years ago

• JoeGuest 5 years ago

• WallieGuest 5 years ago

5. This is why I’m extremely disappointed that the Nexus One isn’t coming to VZW. Phone service is more important to me than a particular phone, so I’ll stick with VZW. It would have been nice to have the N1 with Google’s support though. Although I’m heavily involved in the ROM community, it would be nice for the Droid to have quick updates once Google releases the SDK.

• PixelSlaveGuest 5 years ago

6. mauricioGuest 5 years ago

One of the benefits of owning a N1.

• I’ve also an N1. And I am agree with you on that.

• Yup. I’ll be enjoying Flash on my N1. But hey, Incredible owners will have their Sense UI and Flash Lite. ;)

• Yeah right… The only problem I am facing is don’t have option to install applications on SD card. That’s why I always have a limited set of applications installed. BTW I don’t like rooting otherwise this option is still there.

• HTConVZWGuest 5 years ago

• DigitalthugGuest 5 years ago

• BryanGuest 5 years ago

7. DanielGuest 5 years ago

8. I really liked this statement: “Sometimes being open ‘means not being militant about the things consumer are actually enjoying.’” – I wonder who Rubin was referring to? Hmm…

• Yes right. what happened to beta sign ups ? I’ve also signed up for flash beta. Still no info from the adobe about it.

9. RObGuest 5 years ago

N1 ur the greatest thing thats ever happened to me…FrOyo here we come!! xD

10. DarkseiderGuest 5 years ago

11. EasyEMoneyGuest 5 years ago

12. Joc44Guest 5 years ago

13. mojoGuest 5 years ago

14. Bubbles hot boys hollaGuest 5 years ago

Bubbles loves the N1,flash will be sexy hott on it. Love android and me.

15. Flash 10.1 and Froyo are scheduled for a June release – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] of our speculations regarding the big unveiling coming at Google I/O. Pairing this with Andy Rubin’s statements that support for Flash 10.1 comes in Froyo we can reasonably conclude that Froyo will debut [...]

16. Earl MotleyGuest 5 years ago

Thank You.

• JakeGuest 5 years ago

17. Android 2.2 desktop spied on Nexus One – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] 10.1 on his Nexus One. Adobe gave all their employees Android phones and we recently learned that Flash 10.1 is tied to the release of FroYo (Android [...]

18. Jeremy AshburnGuest 5 years ago

19. Sprint EVO 4G will ship with Android 2.1, no Flash 10.1 – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] Android 2.1, it will not initially support the new Flash 10.1. This is because Adobe and Google are requiring Android 2.2 in order to install the Flash 10.1 beta that will be released next week. Thankfully, the EVO should [...]

20. Sprint EVO 4G will ship with Android 2.1, no Flash 10.1 | Androidheadlines.comGuest 5 years ago

21. “Prepare to be blown away” by FroYo Android 2.2 – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] expecting many additions to Android including a major performance boost, possible Apps2SD support, Flash 10.1, an updated Android Market, native tethering, and a new [...]

22. Android 2.2 Will Officially Support Flash 10.1 [Android] | Peer Marketing GroupGuest 5 years ago

[...] Flash on Android first thing? Sign up for the beta test at Adobe’s site. [New York Times via Android and Me] [...]

23. KnellyGuest 5 years ago

Thank you!

24. DmoweryGuest 5 years ago

Someone please explain these things to me. Thank you for your help,

25. Verizon pushes out Froyo update for the DROID Incredible | Android Application [dot] usGuest 5 years ago

[...] Froyo (Android 2.2) will officially come with Flash 10.1 in its frosty center [...]

26. Verizon pushes out Froyo update for the DROID IncredibleGuest 5 years ago

[...] Motorola Droid owner in front of the cover Android 2.2 Froyo do most HTC phones from 2010 years Froyo (Android 2.2) are officially 10.1 Flash in their frosty Center How to manually install the latest firmware for FRG22D Droid to 10.1 Flash [...]

27. Verizon pushes out Froyo update for the DROID Incredible | AndroidGuest 5 years ago

28. Pointer Men's BasketballGuest 5 years ago

29. Android 2,2 supports Flash 10.1 - All Android Droid News NachrichtenGuest 4 years ago

[...] Android and Me More [...]