Apr 14 AT 11:10 PM Taylor Wimberly 15 Comments

RT: Official Twitter for Android confirmed

We hinted last month that Twitter was working on an official Android client, but some people found the news hard to believe. Since that time Twitter launched a BlackBerry app and acquired Tweetie for its official iPhone version.

Today at Twitter’s Chirp conference, CEO Ev Williams announced an Android client was next on their list.

“We found we were under-serving users. We realized we had to have a core experience on these major platforms just like we do on the Web, otherwise we are failing users. It’s (Android client) going to be awesome.”Ev WilliamsTwitter CEO

Some sites are speculating that Twitter might acquire a current Android app to make their own, but I’ve been told that an original client is already in development and has been in testing for several months.

The real question now is, how long before Twitter releases the app and when will Google integrate it into their Android operating system?

In exchange for offering their own native apps, Twitter will offer developers limitless user streams and annotations and continue to push their @anywhere platform. Twitter is hoping that devs will use their huge pipe of data to launch killer apps that start entirely new businesses.

Other Twitter announcements from Chirp included the coming additions of places to its geo-tweets (check-ins, but not really) and its own link shortener.

Speaking of Twitter, are you following @androidandme?

Source: TechCrunch

• http://www.emagenstudios.com Jesse

Interesting.

I haven’t purchased a Twitter app for my phone yet. I wonder how this will stack up to the great apps that are already available.

It’s ironic that I was going to buy one this weekend since I’m buying a Nexus One on friday.

I think I’ll wait.

• http://plankhead.com Zacqary Adam Green

The downside, of course, is that there will be no way to get away from the new sponsored tweets, whereas a third party client could still neglect to implement that “feature.”

That might be okay, because maybe they won’t be invasive, but who knows?

• stalker

Thats cool.. Android rocks.

• Pingback: La aplicación oficial de Twitter para Android está en desarrollo()

• http://Website B

Not following androidandme, but I do have your widget on my homescreen.

• http://www.aaronvailsblog.com Aaron Vail

yay! I’m very excited for this, I have a motorola Droid from verizon and I’m currently using the seesmic app for my twitter and I love it.. I hope that twitter makes one similar or better, because seesmic (in my opinion) is the best and free android client, twitter has to top them

• http://Website Justin

Yay! Just what we need…another Twitter app.
    I am quite content with Hootsuite and do see changing anytime soon.

• http://www.nooksurfer.com NookSurfer

I’m surprised it’s taking them this long. Were they just waiting to see if the Android will get more market share before committing their resources?

• http://Website Anthony

If by committing their resources you mean tweaking the iPhone version of Tweetie to be compatible with Android, then yes. :)

• http://Website Justin

Zing!

• http://www.uhanrodric.moonfruit.com Juan

Pumped about chcking this out. Now if Facebook would only un-crapify their app.

• Pingback: Official Twitter for Android now available – Android and Me()

• Pingback: Touiteur : le client twitter le plus abouti du moment | Application Android()

• Pingback: Twitter อาจทำ Client บน Android ด้วย! - AppReview- แอพรีวิว : iPad,iPhone,iPhone 4,Blackberry,Froyo,iOS 4,Android()

• http://trabajox5.com/ Trabajos Medio Tiempo

wow! That was 1 year ago, now there are some really cool apps for getting twitter in your android!

1. JesseGuest 5 years ago

Interesting.

I think I’ll wait.

2. Zacqary Adam GreenGuest 5 years ago

That might be okay, because maybe they won’t be invasive, but who knows?

3. Thats cool.. Android rocks.

4. La aplicación oficial de Twitter para Android está en desarrolloGuest 5 years ago

[...] Visto aquí AKPC_IDS += "10038,";Popularity: unranked [?] Compartelo: [...]

5. BGuest 5 years ago

Not following androidandme, but I do have your widget on my homescreen.

6. Aaron VailGuest 5 years ago

7. JustinGuest 5 years ago

Yay! Just what we need…another Twitter app.
    I am quite content with Hootsuite and do see changing anytime soon.

8. NookSurferGuest 5 years ago

• AnthonyGuest 5 years ago

9. Pumped about chcking this out. Now if Facebook would only un-crapify their app.

10. Official Twitter for Android now available – Android and MeGuest 5 years ago

[...] we hinted, then we confirmed, now we install. Today Twitter announced that their Android client is now available for download. [...]

11. Touiteur : le client twitter le plus abouti du moment | Application AndroidGuest 5 years ago

[...] consécutif à l’annonce par Twitter du rachat de Tweetie (et il semblerait qu’une application Android “made in twitter” soit en route), intéressons-nous à ce qui se fait de mieux toutes plateformes mobiles confondues [...]

12. Twitter อาจทำ Client บน Android ด้วย! - AppReview- แอพรีวิว : iPad,iPhone,iPhone 4,Blackberry,Froyo,iOS 4,AndroidGuest 4 years ago

[...] Androidandme No Comment var addthis_pub="izwan00"; [...]