Update: The Droid Incredible is now on sale.
After months of endless leaks which generated huge buzz, the Droid Incredible finally goes on sale at Verizon tonight at midnight.
With its 1 GHz Snapdragon processor, the Droid Incredible will become the fastest Android phone available at a U.S. retail store. Google’s Nexus One also featured the same CPU, but it has only been available online.
Loaded on the phone will be the latest Android 2.1 firmware with HTC’s updated Sense UI. I was a critic of earlier versions of Sense, but after getting some hands on time with the new HTC Desire and Legend I found myself liking it more and more.
The only downside to the Incredible might be its custom Sense UI. Other HTC phones with Sense have been slow to upgrade from Android 1.x to Android 2.1 and the Incredible could suffer the same fate. Android 2.2 is around the corner and will be released for the Nexus One first, but there is no telling how long it might take Verizon to send out an update.
Users who already own a Droid or Nexus One will want to stick with their phone, but the Incredible makes a nice upgrade for anyone coming from a first generation device. If you are new to Android, the Incredible is your best option right now and you can’t go wrong with the nation’s largest 3G network.
New Verizon customers (2yr contract required) can pick up the Incredible at:
- $299 at Verizon retail stores (plus $100 mail in rebate)
- $199 on Verizon’s online site
- Special introductory price from our online phone store (more details at midnight)
All the cool kids on the block got their demo units early, but we are still waiting to review the phone. Check out the dozen reviews below to get a feeling for what the phone is like.
Reviews are up at:
- Engadget: “If you’re on Verizon right now, you’re finally getting really great options for phones, but the Incredible is currently sitting at the top of that heap with a good bit of distance to the next in line.”
- Gizmodo: “It’s also possibly the best Android phone you can buy in the US for now–with the caveat that running a custom user interface introduces the high possibility it will get screwed on future Android updates from Google, as owners of HTC’s other custom Android phones could attest to, still waiting patiently for the update to 2.1 themselves.”
- Infosync World: “After an afternoon with the HTC Droid Incredible, looking at our iPhone screen was like going from Nintendo 64 to NES.”
- CNET: “With its polished design and user interface and blazing fast speeds, the HTC Droid Incredible takes pole position as Verizon’s top smartphone and is now the Android device to beat.”
- Android Central: “For our money the Incredible quickly has made itself the Android smartphone to beat, at least in the United States, and at least until the Evo 4G arrives. And even then, it’s going to be a tough battle.”
- Android Community: “As you’d hope, the Incredible’s still photos are, well, incredible. Packed with detail, they’re a noticeable step up from what the Nexus One is capable of.”
- SlashGear: “Incredible, they call it, and for once the marketing hyperbole may be right. The Verizon Droid Incredible by HTC takes a somewhat familiar spec sheet and squeezes out something different enough to stand out from the crowd.”
- BGR: “What we do know is that HTC has come up with another incredible device, pushing the boundaries of Android in practically every direction we can think of.”
- IntoMobile: “The Incredible’s feature-set is one of the most impressive of any smartphone currently available today. You get high-end hardware packed into a slim and sexy package — and the hardware works well, without lag or any major snafus.”
- Phone Arena: “Unfortunately, the minimalistic design approach is the one glaringly eye sore that hinders the Droid Incredible to be elevated to a level beyond its brothers, and with the HTC EVO 4G on the horizon, it’ll have a small window of opportunity to make its impact. “
- DroidDog: “In summary, the HTC DROID Incredible is a fantastic device. While it has some of the same Sense quirks that the Hero had, it’s leaps and bounds above the Hero.”
Droid Incredible product video: