SMS Backup is a great app for someone who texts often but chooses not to delete their messages, and saves them for future records etc.
This app enables you to backup every text message you send and receive into your Gmail account online.
During initial set up, you save your Gmail login details, and manually backup all your previous messages until you’re up to date. Backups can be done in batches of 25, 50, 100, 150 and 200 at a time. Once you’re up to date, you can then set the app to automatically update texts as they come in and go out.
What makes this app great is that once your texts are stored in Gmail, you have permanent records that are easily searchable.
On phones such as the G1, memory can also be a concern as your phone fills up with more and more messages, so it’s great to be able to free up more memory by clearing your inbox, without worrying about losing vital information.
If you’re someone who has a rooted phone, and you’re constantly wiping, this is obviously a great way to ensure that you never lose your text messages.
- Option for automatic backups once the initial backup has been completed
- There’s an option available to mark the SMS’s as read as they’re uploaded into your inbox.
- The app automatically creates an SMS label in Gmail.
- Support for MMS. Currently, the app only backs up Text messages.
- Ability to select specific contacts to backup instead of everything.
- Ability to keep the conversation in one bundle and not in bundles of the amount backed up.
Special Notes: IMAP must be enabled on your Gmail account. See Settings --> Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
If you find it difficult parting ways with your text messages in order to clear clutter and memory, this is the app for you! Very stable and easy to use!
Reviewer's Device: Rooted G1 running Cyanogen 18.104.22.168 (Android 1.6)
App Version: 1.1.1
For more information, visit http://code.google.com/p/android-sms/wiki/UserGuide
Note: This review was submitted by Gareth Tiedt as part of our app review contest.