Jun 28 AT 3:36 PM Anthony Domanico 26 Comments

Amazon Kindle App released into the Android Market

In a bit of surprising news, Amazon today announced that an Android application for their popular e-book Kindle service is now available on the Android market for your download pleasure.

The Kindle application does require Android 1.6 or greater, and allows users to search, browse, and purchase e-books from Amazon’s 600,000+ book database, right from the comfort of their Android phone. Users will not, however, be allowed to view or purchase Amazon’s newspaper, magazine, and blog database.

What’s great about the Kindle application is that it remembers what page you left off on, and automatically pulls you to that page when you launch any of Amazon’s Kindle applications, be it Kindle for PC, iPhone, or on your Kindle device itself. This is quite convenient and gives it one step up on several other e-book reader applications out there today. Add on Amazon’s impressive book database and you have yourselves one killer, must-have e-book application for the Android platform.

But don’t take our word for it, if you have Android 1.6+, go and download the Kindle app for yourself. The application itself is free, though most of the premium books will set you back about $10.

More information on Kindle for Android can be found an Amazon’s Kindle for Android website.

Source: Amazon's Kindle for Android Website

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• http://Website James

Heh, I like the view option to invert the default color scheme. The power savings from that alone are enormous for an app like this.

Background: AMOLED screens use zero power when displaying black.

• Time Pilot AKA

• http://www.jonathanharford.com/ Jonathan Harford

Will this really not let me read my own EPUBs or MOBIs? I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up.

• http://Website Michael

Actually as long as it’s not DRM it should. Catch is though, you have to trick the app to let you view them. If you put the mobi files in the kindle folder and open the app it’ll crash immediately but you might notice the book is listed on the list. Well if you cut your phone to airplane mode long enough to open the app so the auto sync will fail, you’re good to go to read whatever you want. Just turn your data/phone connection right back on afterwards. You just gotta do that every time you wanna read it though which is stupid

• Time Pilot AKA

Cool beans. Now if only B&N would release a public version of the Nook app…..

• http://Website John Perkins

Agreed. And with that same awesome “remember my page” function.

• Val-Zho

• http://Website GuardianAli

Who cares….reading on the Ipad…sure. On the Evo..maaaaaybe. But reading on a Droid or similar device? on a 3.7 inch LCD screen? no thanks. I will wait for the first decent android tablet that comes out that isnt vaporware ..then we’ll talk.

• http://Website Jeff

I used to feel the same way as you do. But I’ve been reading books on Aldiko for my G1, and on Kindle and Stanza on an Ipod touch, and I’ve got to say, it’s much better than I expected. Text rendering comes out quite well (it doesn’t feel like reading text off a website), and it’s really convenient having it remember your page. I still primarily read on paper, but it’s great having a whole bunch of books in your pocket wherever you go.

• http://Website Angel

I sold my Kindle to help finance my iPad, but when I don’t carry my iPad, I have absolutely no problems reading on my iPod touch. I would love to be able to read on my Cliq, but unfortunately I’m stuck on 1.5 until I move to Verizon and get the Droid X.

• http://Website Mo3taz

I have an x10 and believe me its so good to read on.

• http://Website John Perkins

I’ve been reading a book on my Droid Incredible using Aldiko, and actually like it. Not sure I’d want to stare at the screen for hours at a time, but it’s always with me, so it works great for quick bursts. I use it all the time when I’m sitting on the John.

I get your point about the screen being small, but it’s surprisingly easy to read. And again, probably not recommended for extended readings, but 5-20 minute short reads work perfectly for me.

• http://www.google.com/profiles/anakin78z anakin78z

• http://Website Rovex

Works great on the Dell Streak. Its great on that 5 inch screen. Much better than a smaller phone and much more practical than the over sized crack happy iPad.

• http://Website Bob

Deletes all apps in the download menu in the market.
    Nexus One FRF83

• http://www.tgdevelopment.com Thomas

Seems to be unavailable here in Malta.

Not found in the market place.

• http://Website Lasker

App not found on the market for me too. Not in the Free section anyway.

• http://Website zed

I don’t care. I spend all day at work looking at a screen, watch telly or play xbox at home and inbetween look at my phone a lot. Now books on screen. My poor eyes need a rest. And the e-books are no cheaper than real books. I think I’ll stick with proper books 90% of the time.

• Time Pilot AKA

• http://Website swarfrat

Does this mean that I can now chose from books at Amazon as well as B&N on my soon to be rooted nook? Excellente! While I can understand Amazon’s desire to promote it’s own product, it’s position as content provider I’m guessing ultimately trumps its hobby project selling a branded reader, and it’s in their interest to sell books to as many people as possible. Kindle is cool, but do you really want to cut off potential customers because they bought the other platform?

• http://Website Hend

Hi, Can any one please email me the apk file? I can’t find the Kindle app on the free market here.

thanks
    H

• http://www.cdmacellulars.com/ MotorolaVE440

I have installed app on my HTC incredible, I hope there will be some nice Android tablets earlier.As this will work great as a reader on. But i am not sure wheteher the Kindle Android app works on rooted B&N Nook.

• http://Website Cazzy

I have used this on my Htc Tattoo for about 2 months now and loved it. Then my phone recently decided to factory reset itself, i re-installed all my content, but now Amazon kindle will not download anything!! Even previously purchased books and books in my archive. It wavers between forcing close, refusing to sync or unable to download. I have uninstalled it and re-installed it several times to no avail. I have even de-registered then re-registered, but still nothing.
    I contacted Amazon but they can’t find a problem their end…..I am really stuck as to what to do now.

1. JamesGuest 5 years ago

Background: AMOLED screens use zero power when displaying black.

• How easy is it to read text on the SAMOLED? If it’s not too straining, it’d be a big selling point for phones the likes of the Galaxy S. I’d consider buying one of those rather than a phone AND a Kindle/Nook.

2. Jonathan HarfordGuest 5 years ago

• MichaelGuest 5 years ago

3. Cool beans. Now if only B&N would release a public version of the Nook app…..

4. 1.6? Dang it Cliq! Fail *AGAIN*! … now I can’t even read a new book on this thing? C’mon Moto!

5. GuardianAliGuest 5 years ago

• JeffGuest 5 years ago

• AngelGuest 5 years ago

• Mo3tazGuest 5 years ago

I have an x10 and believe me its so good to read on.

• John PerkinsGuest 5 years ago

• Consider that you always have your phone with you. Your main reading device may be something different, but if you’re stuck anywhere for 10 minutes without much to do, it’s handy to be able to continue that book you were reading.

6. RovexGuest 5 years ago

7. BobGuest 5 years ago

Deletes all apps in the download menu in the market.
    Nexus One FRF83

8. ThomasGuest 5 years ago

Seems to be unavailable here in Malta.

Not found in the market place.

9. LaskerGuest 5 years ago

App not found on the market for me too. Not in the Free section anyway.

10. zedGuest 5 years ago

• Besides all those excellent reasons, what would I put on my shelves so that people think I’m smart? The receipts from my online purchases? And ebooks don’t fulfill my instinctual need to collect stuff.

11. swarfratGuest 5 years ago