Jun 15 AT 9:42 AM Taylor Wimberly 12 Comments

HTC shortages force U.S. Cellular to delay Desire launch

U.S. Cellular planned to launch the HTC Desire in July, but the release date has now been pushed to at least August as the carrier waits on HTC to produce more devices. This comes as no surprise as HTC has struggled to keep up with demand for the Incredible and EVO 4G.

What is the main cause for the limited inventories? When the Incredible sold out, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam pointed the finger at Samsung who produces the AMOLED display found in the device. The Desire features the same 3.7 inch AMOLED display as the Incredible so we assume this is the same issue.

Even though the Desire was delayed, U.S. Cellular still plans to launch the Samsung Acclaim in July.

Via: DroidDog

Source: Facebook

• http://Website dave sacks

Breathe Owl Breathe

• sigamore

I say get the Nexus instead ;)

• http://Website jay555

Yes the N1 is an option but the problems it has with 3G reception and multi-touch are enough make me think twice. I can’t understand though how a regional carrier is getting the Desire and T-Mobile is wasting their time and resources promoting the MyTouch Slide.

• sigamore

• http://Website jay555

Google it and see for yourself, the multi-touch issue is mainly a problem for gaming, for all other uses it works fine. Gaming is a big deal to me so that’s why I have issues against getting it. I’m not sure if the 3G reception issues were ever fully solved or not, I know a software update was made for it but it didn’t fully fix it for everyone.

• http://alittleextramoneyuk.blogspot.com Bristolboy

There are also major issues with delays to the HTC Desire in the UK and elsewhere in Europe and Asia which may be an additional reason why it has been delayed in the US. I have a Desire though and can say that it is the best phone in the UK by far.

• http://Website MadCityScammer

This sucks! I’ve been waiting since January for a new smartphone, and now this thing gets delayed even further. Grumble, grumble.

• http://Website Niks

Got my Desire in may :) Denmark… can’t wait for froyo update

• http://Website eugene

I have already swithced to Sprint because it is on the same CDMA technology as U.S.Cellular and Verizon, but Sprint offers <<>> and it’s all for $69.99 Verizon and U.S.Cellular cannot beat that price. Also, if you get a HTC EVO 4G, you will have to pay $10 extra /mo, however, it is worth it because you will have a 4G connection which is 3-6 mb/s instead of 3G which is up to 1.5 mb/s AND you can talk on the phone and surf the net at the same timme on 4G (because 4G signal uses different friquency which does not interffere with your cell phone calls) Shop arround and you will see that no one can match a SPRINT $69.99 plan.

• http://Website man8dingo

You only get 4G when you are in a 4G area…. like Chicago…. Otherwise your just on 3G still!!! Plus their service is garbage!

• http://Website Steve

I’ve had Sprint for a while, and their service has definitely gotten a lot better than it was in the old days. Now if they would just stock the #$^#& EVO!

• http://Website ben

ive been on sprint with the evo and the service has been great,4g has been expanded to not only the actual city of chicago but also suburbs and what plus my 4g has gotten me 8.5 mb/s and 3g pushes around 2.5mb/s + the screen doesnt have those problems the others does

1. dave sacksGuest 5 years ago

Breathe Owl Breathe

2. I say get the Nexus instead ;)

• jay555Guest 5 years ago

• What’s wrong with 3G reception on the N1? Sorry I must’ve missed something important… mine really rocks!

• jay555Guest 5 years ago