Back in May, Google announced the imminent release of Android 2.2, codenamed Froyo, to great fanfare. Froyo brought with it JIT compiler that gives increased speed to the Android platform and applications, updates to the Google search bar and launcher, built in tethering, support for installing apps on the SD card, and all kinds of other tweaks and improvements.
Though these features are awesome in and of themselves, one Froyo benfit that has been somewhat overlooked is the Chrome to Phone application and Chrome extension. Chrome to Phone is one of the most useful Android features I have come across, and it’s a really simple idea that provides the ability to have a continuous stream of information no matter where we happen to go.
Chrome to Phone is a simple combination of a Chrome extension and Android application that allows you to click one button in your browser, and sync what you were viewing right to your Android phone to be check out at a later time.
Reading a news article but need to head out the door to drive to work? Simply click the Chrome to Phone button on your Chrome browser, launch the Chrome to Phone application on your Android device at work, and it immediately takes you to the webpage you were viewing at home so you can pick up right where you left off. I use this feature all the time, and assume many of you would as well.
Setting up Chrome to Phone (Google Chrome and Firefox):
- Head over to the Google Chrome to Phone Download Site
- Download and install the chrometophone-extension-v0.3.crx file (for Google Chrome) or the following Firefox extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161941/
- Download and install the chrometophone-android.apk Android application
- Launch the Chrome to Phone application from your Android phone and click the Register Device button
- Launch the Chrome to Phone Chrome Extension in your Chrome browser and enter your Google username and password
- Start sending stuff!
Fairly simple set-up for an immensely useful, must-have Froyo feature that could easily be used very frequently. Already on Android 2.2 and use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox? What are you waiting for? Go and install Chrome to Phone now!