Business travel is arguably one of the most gut-wrenching processes known to man. All you business professionals out there know what I’m talking about. You have to make sure to save every single receipt from your travels for months and months after the fact, and spend hours putting together an expense report upon your return.
Thankfully, one company out there is trying to make our business lives a little easier. ProOnGo Expense is a new Android application that allows users to track their expenses by taking pictures of their receipts, and uploading them to their Receipt Reader service where the Merchant information and total prices are sent back to your phone in a matter of minutes. Once all your receipts from your travels are read, you have the option to email yourself an expense report in Microsoft Excel, XML, CSV, PayServ, or even QuickBooks Pro formats.
Once I was able to figure out how to get ProOnGo Expense to work (which was, of course, user error on my part), I was not able to trip it up, even when taking pictures of a mile-long receipt. It still read the receipt perfectly, including inputing the correct date from text that seemed to be 2 point font on my 3.7 inch screen.
Though ProOnGo Expense is a free application, you will need a subscription plan to ensure full functionality. Unfortunately, this is a monthly charge rather than a one-time fee, so this will set you back a couple bucks a month depending on which plan you chose.
The pricing scheme is detailed in the picture below. The basic plan starts at $1 per month ($12 per year) with minimal features, and the price plans increase to $3 per month ($36 per year) for increased functionality, and $5 per month ($60 per year) for full functionality.
If you need more than 50 receipt reads per month, it looks like today there isn’t a plan that will allow you to fully utilize the ProOnGo service, which could turn off the heavy users that travel near 100% of the time, though I’m sure there aren’t too many of you out there.
- Very easy to use.
- Receipt reads are accurate and only take a few minutes to analyze no matter whether you submit them at noon on a Monday or midnight on Sunday. Works 24/7.
- Easily email expense reports to yourself for easy submission.
- Users can customize the look of the expense reports. This is very helpful if your employer requires you to submit expense reports in a standard format.
- Even though I’m not a huge fan of the pricing scheme, they do allow you to try out ProOnGo for a full month before you’re ever charged a dime.
- Pricing – I would much rather pay $30-$50 upfront for unlimited use for life than $1-$5 a month for as long as I choose to use the service.
Yes, the only con I was able to find was the pricing scheme, though that is the one con that is likely to deter many users from actually adopting the service. As it stands, I can very highly recommend ProOnGo only to enterprise users who travel regularly for their job, which seems to be the niche ProOnGo is shooting for anyway. ProOnGo is a very well put together application, and something that can be highly useful for enterprise users.
Bottom line: If you travel for business, ProOnGo Expense will make your life much easier, and is definitely worth the minimal monthly fee.