Sprint delivered on their promise to release Android 2.2 to a select group of testers today with a broad roll out is scheduled for Tuesday August 2nd. You can wait through the weekend to automatically receive the update or you can spend a few minutes of your time and manually install it now.
HTC has posted the file needed to update to Android 2.2 and it can be easily installed in a few simple steps. All you have to do is download the file from HTC, rename it update.zip, and flash it. Feel free to use your PC to download and rename the file or you can perform all these tasks on your phone using an app like Linda File manager.
Keep in mind this update is intended for stock phones that are running an unmodified version of the operating system. If you have previously hacked or rooted your EVO, then you should not install this update.
This update file comes directly from HTC so there is a chance that the file which comes from Sprint could be different.
UPDATE: HTC has removed the file, so either wait for the download link from Google or hit up the source link for a mirror. HTC also tweeted that this was not the final version so install at your own risk.
Follow these steps to install Android 2.2 on the Sprint HTC EVO 4G:
- Download the Android 2.2 firmware from HTC: http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Supersonic_3.26.651.3-1.47.651.1_releaseu2cqjc2e98n4o6xn.zip
- Rename the file to update.zip and place it on your SD card.
- Power off your phone then restart it while holding VOLUME DOWN and hit POWER.
- Wait for fastboot to load (screen with skating Androids). Use the VOLUME DOWN key to navigate the menu to RECOVERY and select it by pressing POWER.
- When you see the “/!” symbol, press the VOLUME UP and POWER button at the same time to display the options. You should be presented with a menu and one of the options should be “Apply sdcard:update.zip”.
- Use the VOLUME DOWN to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
- Wait 10-15 minutes for the update to install and then reboot your phone when prompted.
I was able to complete the entire process in about 15 minutes and ran into no problems. Look for a video later tonight if you want to watch the entire process before proceeding.