The Xperia X10 Mini has competition as the cutest Android phone. Motorola today announced the T-Mobile Charm, the first device in the U.S. to feature an enhanced version of Motoblur built on Android 2.1.
T-Mobile is expected to release the Motorola Charm this summer, but no launch date or price was revealed. However, leaked information suggest the phone could arrive later this month (July 21st) and be offered for free with a 2-year contract. When it becomes available, customers will be able to pick up the phone in two colors – Golden Bronze and Cabernet.
The Charm is one of the smallest Android phones measuring only 67.2 x 98.4 x 11.4 mm and weighing in at 110 grams. It features a 2.8 inch screen which is one of the first QVGA displays (320 x 240 resolution) on an Android phone in the U.S.
Motorola left off most of the specs we care about (CPU, RAM, ROM) so it looks like this device is targeted towards the entry-level Android customer. Units that were sent out for testing suggest it features a 600 MHz TI OMAP3410 processor (unconfirmed) with 512MB ROM and 512MB RAM.
Other announced specs of the Charm include the 2.8 inch display (Gorilla Glass), 3 megapixel camera (no flash), dual microphones with with noise cancellation, QWERTY keyboard, and a 1170 mAh battery.
Just like the Motorola Backflip, the Charm also features a “BACKTRACK” navigation pad which allows users to navigate the phone by sliding their fingers across the back of the phone.
Even though the specs suggest this phone is an entry-level device, I’m still pretty excited about the BlackBerry-inspired form factor. The Charm could be the perfect messaging phone to introduce a whole new wave of users to Android for the first time. We have yet to confirm the exact processor model, but if it does feature the 600 MHz OMAP3410, then it could pack quite a punch.
Additional features on Motorola CHARM include:
- Adobe Flash enabled Web browsing experience to view most of today’s content-rich sites
- Full suite of Google services including: Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail and access to thousands of apps on Android Market
- Pinch to zoom functionality and two-finger swipe to easily surf the Web and sort through photos
- Capture sharp photos with a 3MP camera and KODAK PERFECT TOUCH technology for better, brighter pictures
- One-touch social media uploads to Facebook, MySpace, Picasa and PhotoBucket
- CrystalTalk PLUS for enhanced audio and call quality with a second microphone for increased voice quality while filtering out background noise
- Corporate email pushed immediately to the device for instant inbox updates