Aug 20 AT 12:57 AM Taylor Wimberly 19 Comments

Dish Network assumes Google TV boxes will be around $300

Google TV is coming this fall in multiple flavors, which will allow customers more choices at several different price points. Sony’s Smart TV sets will require the highest entry point, while the Logitech Revue will be the cheaper option for those who wish to add a set-top box to their existing HDTV. Dish Network is also an exclusive launch partner and plans to offer Google TV service integrated into their boxes for a monthly fee.

Most of the exact pricing details remain a mystery, but a new survey sent out to Dish Network customers assumes that Google TV boxes could debut around $300. Logitech is the exclusive box maker for the Google TV launch, so that $300 price point is likely pointing towards their Revue.

As for Dish Network, their box could sell for $199-229 upfront with a monthly free of $1-5. Dish also claims their Google TV service will have exclusive features like advanced integration with the TV guide, DVR, and on-demand programming. There were also survey questions related to Google TV boxes with Blu-ray players, so that might be another option for Dish Network customers.

Most of Google’s plans for their TV strategy still remain a mystery (Google Me, Google Games, Google Music, etc.), but considering what we know so far I think $300 is a fair price for a set-top box that brings the full power of internet to your TV. Adobe and Logitech see Google TV as an emerging gaming platform and Intel’s CE4100 processor should offer graphics performance comparable to (or better than) a PS2 and Xbox.

What do you think is a fair price for a Google TV box?

Source: Android Guys

• http://Website calvin

free I hope since its google, but all honestly I’ll pay no more than $ 300 for it

• http://Website Mark

$99

It should be no more than Apple TV.

• http://www.exposedtechnology.com Tony O

I’d gladly bay £100 – £150 for it …. if only Google thought the UK was worthy of a release! :-(

• http://Website Tito!

For Google TV, I say about.. $50 .
    Sorry, this economy iss baad . &while Google TV isn’t a necessity. They won’t receive as much, as they would if it were indeed this cheap.
    I indeed though, do shall see myself purchasing for a resonable $200-300 price (:

• http://Website Matthew

I’m all about the Google takeover!

• http://Website keef

It needs to be much cheaper than $300 so regular folk will see the Google name and pick it up as an impulse buy.

• http://finer.mobi iPaulPro

The survey that Engadget posted did not actually state $300 for a standalone box, that was the price mentioned for a Blu-ray player with GTV. In fact, the other prices in question were mostly for Google TV boxes with advanced DISH integration. Thats probably not the Revue.

Personally, I can’t see the Revue catching on if its priced higher than $199. Unfortunately, Google is not Apple, and cannot sway public opinion of a product/service necessity by simply releasing a it.

That said, I can’t wait to get my hands one!

• http://Website Sinanovski

I fail to see the point of this type of tv. is it better than cable or an addition to it?

• http://Website CesarB

If it can replace my dvr competely and its hd and it has a lot of space I say hands down its a very good buy. I would downgrade my receivers to regular hd and save a lot of money.

• http://Website Tony

Any word on Google TV on PS3?

• http://Website koiutree

I already have my laptop plugged-in to my (with wireless keyboard and mouse) hdTV and i do not see why i should spend more money on a box or dish monthly fee to get what i already have.

• http://Website Derrick

$300!! Are you kidding me? This will die with the same death as WebTV. There’s no way in hell I’m going to pay Google $300 for a box, PLUS an additional monthly fee so Google can become more powerful and more intrusive. I’m sure this box will somehow be serving up ads to “make my life easier” right Google?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Google I have a ton of their products (Android lover here), but to ask for us to pay $300 to add yet another box to my already cluttered TV stand is insane. Especially when you consider tablets which serve little more use than sitting next to the couch near a TV for the very thing these Google boxes purport to do.

Then take into account that many new TVs, Sony, Panasonic etc can already be Internet connected for streaming, and more and I’m not sure I see the value in this.

• http://alcoholandabuse.com Dave Andrews

I think the main question with this is not the cost up front, but the monthly cost. 300 is a lot, but if it integrated well with TV, gives lot of TV viewing options without a lot of commercials, i.e. Hulu HD, then I think it could be real interesting…

• http://Website charley

It seems that 300 dollars is way to much money with a monthly fee also for the box especially when you can go to rasio shack and buy one cord for around 30 bucks that hooks from your PC to the back of your HD television and you can watch everything off of the internet on your tv screen.This is another money making scheme especially when i heard dish network is involved they charge 115 bucks just to get a 2nd HD box to hook up to your 2nd HD tv that should be free.Any thing good that you can watch off of this google tV like good movies they are more than likely going to charge you for each newer movie like dish already does with there on demand movies.Dish took over a free movie web site a few years a go and then started charging people on that website to start paying to watch those movies that were free i cant stand these satelitte and cable companies that are in it just to make a lot iof money off of the poor people out there.At least comcast cable has a free on demand movie section even though most of there free movies are just repeats of older movies they should show diffrent movies nobody has seen before than just a bunch of older re runs every once in a while though they will show a newer movie on there mostly there horror movies off of there on demand fearnet channel.Comcast gives you free HD boxes but there HD isnt as good as Dish network who charges a fee every month if you dont sign up online which is another scam by Dish network. They just want to get people hooked into a contract where you have to sign up for a few more years of there service.At least with comcast cable they dont have any contracts for tv they tell you.

• http://Website Michael

I wouldn’t pay any more monthly fees. Besides, I already have a Windows 7 Media Center PC which works great.

• http://Website Jason Surber

Even as a dish network employee when I look at that price of 300.00, I know that can be a little steep in price. But if the Revue is ordered through Dish Network you get 120.00 off the at price, so you pay 179.00 for the Revue and that is with no commitment. If you chose to add the integration fee into that which allows two way communication between the dish receiver and the revue, it does have a 4.00 monthly fee. It def does have a lot of added benefits to it though. You can always check out the latest info at dish.com/googletv

-Jason

• http://www.cablebuster.net satellite tv

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this submit and if I may just I wish to counsel you few interesting issues or suggestions. Maybe you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to read more issues about it!

• http://www.office2010business.net/ office key

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your website by accident, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

• Cody

Man! The monthly charge seems to be too much. I recently got my cable connection from another service provider for a rate much cheaper than this one. Everything seems to be working out fine. The service, the clarity, the package- all are satisfactory.

1. calvinGuest 5 years ago

• MarkGuest 5 years ago

$99

It should be no more than Apple TV.

2. Tony OGuest 5 years ago

3. Tito!Guest 5 years ago

For Google TV, I say about.. $50 .

4. MatthewGuest 5 years ago

I’m all about the Google takeover!

5. keefGuest 5 years ago

6. iPaulProGuest 5 years ago

That said, I can’t wait to get my hands one!

7. SinanovskiGuest 5 years ago

8. CesarBGuest 5 years ago

9. TonyGuest 5 years ago

Any word on Google TV on PS3?

10. koiutreeGuest 5 years ago