To all those patient folk that have been waiting around with stock Android 2.1 and wondering when Google would finally see fit to give you your precious frozen treat the waiting is finally over.
This is the official file direct from Google’s servers so you can either wait for it to come to you or go ahead and install now. Please note that this version is only for those that are on stock Android 2.1 right now so if you are on another rom and/or are rooted you should wait for whatever you are running to be updated or get back to stock before updating.
All credit to the guys at Android Forums for the find and specifically forumites LarryR and NickMili.
To manually install Android 2.2 on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:
- Download the official Android 2.2 firmware from: Android 2.2 (FRG01B)
- Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
- Power off your phone. Hold down the “X” button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
- When you see the “/!” symbol, press volume up and the camera button to display the recovery options.
- Use the d-pad to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
- When you see “Install from sdcard complete”, select “reboot system now”.
- Great success!
If you have any problems or just feel like bragging about having Froyo hit us up in comments.
Update: If you are looking for Flash 10.1 it apparently is not appearing in the Market yet for updated Droid users, but according to Jeice it will allow you to get it directly from this page on Adobe’s site. It seems that the Adobe page isn’t working for some people either so here is a link to the .apk file.