Motorola announced the Droid would be receiving a new update (FRG22D) this week that would finally allow users to install Flash Player 10.1, but many phones have yet to receive the file. If you are tired of waiting and want to grab the update right now, then follow the simple steps below.
This update is intended for Droid owners who already received Android 2.2 (build FRG01B) and are waiting for the second update (FRG22D) to enable Flash Player 10.1. The firmware file comes directly from Google and it is the same version as what your phone would download over the air. I manually updated my Droid to make sure everything worked and the entire process takes about 10 minutes.
To manually install Android 2.2 FRG22D on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:
- Download the official Android 2.2 firmware from Google: FRG22D-from-FRG01B
- Copy the file to the root directory your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
- Power off your phone. Hold down the “X” button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
- When you see the “/!\” symbol, press volume up and the camera button at the same time to display the recovery options.
- Use the d-pad to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
- When you see “Install from sdcard complete”, select “reboot system now”.
- Open Android Market and search for “Flash Player 10.1″.
If you got a Droid, let us know how the update went and give us your impressions of the new Flash Player 10.1.