Oct 11 AT 9:55 AM Taylor Wimberly 16 Comments

Galaxy Tab pricing revealed, $649 full price, $399 with 2-yr contract

The U.S. debut of the Samsung Galaxy Tab is quickly approaching and new details of the launch are beginning to leak out. According to multiple sources it appears the 7-inch Tab will hit retail stores in November and sell for $399 with a 2-year contract or $599-649 at full price.

Verizon could be the first to sell the Tab with a rumored launch date of November 1st, followed by Sprint on the 14th, and leaks suggest AT&T and T-Mobile will also release their versions during Q4.

I got my hands-on the Galaxy Tab last month and it was the most impressive Android tablet I’ve seen yet, but I’m not completely sold on signing up for another 2-year contract when I already own an Android phone that can do nearly all the same tasks. With Google set to release their Honeycomb tablets sometime in 2011 (my guess is Q2), it is hard for me to commit to a device like the Tab that is going to be obsolete pretty soon.

A cheaper WiFi-only version might be a little easier to swallow (and Samsung confirmed one is coming), but we have heard no details on an actual release date and it might not be available till next year.

Based on the rumored pricing, how many of you are going to pick up a Galaxy Tab when it goes on sale next month?

Source: TmoNews

• http://thomashunsaker.com Thomas Hunsaker

I feel the same about the price and 2 year contract. I’d prefer the wifi only version, and tethering to my current phone, don’t think I’ll be using both at the same time anyway. Cheaper and w/o contract would be more intriguing. Glad that this tablet exists, only decent competition in the market, hopefully this drives prices down and quality up, though we may be in another netbook-like race to the bottom.

• http://Website jeremy

pricing FAIL….way to much money

• http://Website Jeb

Yep. Looks like I’m not getting a Android tablet for the next 1.5 – 2 years. Great job there Samsung.

• qdewolf

• http://droidandroidgames.com/ AndroidGames

649$ is too much for a 7inch tablet, most people will prefer iPad…

• http://www.google.com/profiles/anakin78z anakin78z

• http://Website johnny b

Ok so the pricing might be a little steep for a 7″ tablet but an ipad start at 499 and goes up to 699 for a wifi version. An 629 to 829 for a wifi/3g version. 399 isn’t so bad. And if a wifi version is even cheaper I think it will dominate the tablet market. It would be nice to get a 3g contract and not be stuck in it for 2 years though. Just my opinion though. I would buy an Android tab over an ipad or any apple product any day.

• asifriyaz

not worth it on this price?

• http://Website Chancy

Sorry but at that price, I’ll save up like a hundred more and buy a brand new laptop that can do much more. >_>

• http://Website randy

It’s a little too steep unless they have a really cheap monthly plan, like $20 a month. It needs to be cheaper than the iPad without a contract.

• http://Website gad

I’d rather buy a laptop than this with that money.So am out

• Beards

5MP Rear Facing Camera?????
    They got that wrong.

• http://Website Evo Longoria

I am disappointed to see Samsung squander this opportunity to make inroads against iPad Nation by getting greedy and going for the money first at this time. You cannot beat, or even compete, with iPads by charging *more* for your device, especially your initial device in that market. You provide innovation and value, you undercut, you peel off potential Apple customers. Charging more hands Apple the victory. Nobody’s going to pay more for the competition. It’s a ridiculous notion.

And why is there a delay in releasing the WiFi version? Because no one would buy the contract version then, of course. No one is going to go for having two contracts and the tablet form factor is inconvenient compared to the necessary cell phone form factor so no one is going to choose the tablet over a phone. And will there be any apps that are tablet-specific available, or is this tablet going to just run Android phone apps? (Non iPad-specific apps on an iPad are dull as hell, as they don’t use the larger screen to any advantage.)

Looks to me like Samsung is mixing up a recipe for failure, and that’s a shame..

• bluemarc22

• Uncemister

I still want one lol

• http://t-mobile.com MEME

I would love to have the phone…….But it’s tooooooooooooooooo much. Get Real…

1. Thomas HunsakerGuest 5 years ago

2. jeremyGuest 5 years ago

pricing FAIL….way to much money

3. JebGuest 5 years ago

4. If it could also be a full phone replacement instead of just a tablet then the price would not be as hard to swallow but now you have to keep 2 devices and 2 contracts. If i still have to have a phone then i want the tablet to be bigger.

5. This pricing is the only way to go if you don’t currently own any valuable smartphone and would like to just get this tablet and use it as a phone with bluetooth headset all the time,
    649$ is too much for a 7inch tablet, most people will prefer iPad…

6. Hmn… full price vs contract will come down to how much monthly costs are. I’m guessing I’ll pony up the 650, though if Wirefly or the Androidandme store have a killer deal on contract (say, $200 instead of $400… the Galaxy S phones went down that much, right?), it might just make the convenience of not having to tether worth it.

7. johnny bGuest 5 years ago

8. not worth it on this price?

9. ChancyGuest 5 years ago

10. randyGuest 5 years ago

11. gadGuest 5 years ago

I’d rather buy a laptop than this with that money.So am out

12. BeardsGuest 5 years ago

5MP Rear Facing Camera?????
    They got that wrong.

13. Evo LongoriaGuest 5 years ago

14. i’d pick one up for $399 and no contract. it needs to be cheaper than the 10″ iPad no matter what…. duhhhhhhhhh

15. I still want one lol

16. MEMEGuest 5 years ago

I would love to have the phone…….But it’s tooooooooooooooooo much. Get Real…