It’s an e-reader. It’s a tablet. Meet the NOOKcolor by Barnes & Noble.
Barnes & Noble just unveiled the successor to the original NOOK, which is a 7 inch Android-powered tablet that claims to be “The ultimate reading experience”. The NOOKcolor is already available for pre-order on bn.com at $249 and is expected to ship around November 19th.
Considering that the NOOKcolor is targeted at moms, kids, and families I expect it will be one of the hottest gifts this Christmas season. The original NOOK pre-order exceeded all expectation and orders were heavily delayed, so if you are considering getting one then order early. Hopefully B&N will be ready this year to keep up with demand.
Details on the actual tech specs are limited at this point, but we know NOOKcolor is based off Android 2.1. We know the “VividView” display is made by LG and features 16 million colors at a 1024×600 resolution. Internal storage is set at 8 GB which can hold six thousand books out of the box. If that’s not enough, a microSD slot allows for expanded storage. The NOOKcolor also features built-in WiFi, but there is no 3G support this time around.
Probably the most exciting thing announced for the Android community is NOOK Developer. Developers will be able to create their own apps for the NOOKcolor and then sell them to millions of users through Barnes & Noble’s own app store. The NOOKcolor SDK will be available in the coming weeks and will allow you to quickly and easily optimize your application for our e-reading platform.
In addition to being sold at Barnes & Noble, look for the NOOKcolor (along with NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi) at your local Best Buy, Walmart, and Books-A-Million in late November.
For a full run down of all the reasons the NOOKcolor could be the ultimate reading experience, check out the official Barnes & Noble blog.
Highlights of the NOOKcolor include:
- Stunning 7-inch VividView Color Touchscreen and a thin, beautiful and highly portable design
- The first full-color touch device dedicated to reading everything and built on Android
- Access to the largest bookstore with an unprecedented selection of over two million digital titles a single search away
- Read bestsellers to favorite magazines in full color, and interactive children’s picture books and enhanced cookbooks
- Easy and fast book downloads in seconds over Wi-Fi
- The most social reading device ever built; you’re only touches away from sharing with friends via Facebook, Twitter and email.
- The new LendMe App, which enables NOOKcolor users to view LendMe books in their friends’ Barnes & Noble digital libraries and request to borrow a title they’ve been meaning to read
- 8GB of space plus expandable memory to store it all your digital books, magazines, newspapers and children’s books