Oct 22 AT 3:52 AM Taylor Wimberly 17 Comments

Still not sold on Google TV yet? Take the virtual tour now

Are you still confused about all this Google TV talk? Consider yourself not alone because I’ve sat through several hour long demos (part 1, part 2) and I still can’t grasp exactly what the real-world experience will be like, but I know enough to say it will change the way we watch TV forever.

Google describes the experience as something new and amazing. “We haven’t been this excited about TV since Saturday morning cartoons”. Even though UPS hasn’t delivered my Logitech Revue yet, I would already say I believe Google’s claim because this is a product that is going to change and improve every week that you own it (and that does excite me like Saturday mornings as a kid).

There is no possible way for me to fit every detail about Google TV into this post so head over to the official Google TV site and explore the virtual tour. For those that are really out of it, check out our quick summary below.

Logitech Google TV devices

• Logitech Revue System ($299): Includes the Logitech Revue box and Logitech Keyboard controller.
  • Logitech TV Cam ($149): Make 720HD video calls from your TV to other Google TV users or anyone with a webcam and a Mac or PC. The Logitech TV Cam features a Carl Zeiss lens, 5x digital zoom, and dual-microphones for noise reduction. For more see Logitech’s promo video on YouTube.
  • Logitech Keyboard controller ($99): Same keyboard that ships with the Logitech Revue system. I was told by Logitech’s CEO that this would be sold separately and work with the Sony Internet TV, but that might no longer be the case. Logitech is not allowing customers to order this device from their website right now.
  • Logitech Mini Controller ($129): Same thing as the keyboard controller, but in a smaller package. It features a Li-ion battery that can go up to two weeks between charges.

Check out the official Logitech Smart TV site for even more details.

Sony Google TV devices

• Sony Internet TV ($599-1399): The Sony Internet TV is an HDTV with Google TV already built in. Multiple sizes are available including 24″, 32″, 40″, and 46″.
  • Sony Internet TV Blu-ray ($399): This is Sony’s answer to the Logitech Revue, but it has a Blu-ray player built in. If you are currently lacking a Blu-ray player, this might be the smart buy over the Revue if you can afford the $100 price difference.

Check out the official Sony Internet TV site for all the goods and another cool virtual tour.

Feedback? Questions?

If you were one of the early adopters and went ahead and ordered one of these Google TV devices, please let me know which one you went with and why. I picked up the Logitech Revue because it was available for pre-order first, it was the cheapest option, and I preferred Logitech’s more traditional keyboard verus the odd Sony controller.

Obviously, there is a ton of info that I’m holding back on in this post so if you have any random questions about Google TV or any of these devices just leave a comment and I’ll do my best to share what I know or point you in the right direction.

My Logitech Revue arrives this weekend, so fully expect me to be sitting on the couch watching my fantasy football players and checking out the Google TV experience. If all goes well, look for my first impressions on Monday.

p.s. It is the Colt’s bye week so I need a new QB to fill in for Manning. Would you rather start Cutler, Palmer, or Cassel in week 7?

Source: Google TV

• http://blog.nicholasnapp.com NickN

I went with the Sony blu-ray over the Logitech, primarily because a keyboard wouldn’t survive in my living (I have young kids). The wacky Sony remote actually works a lot better than I expected.

You can see a full write up of my first impressions here: http://blog.nicholasnapp.com/2010/10/21/great-googley-moogley-fun-with-google-tv/

• http://Website Daniel

Unfortunately the big networks are already blocking Google TV. This probably warrants it’s own topic…

• http://Website damien

the fact is these set top boxes need a dvr still and its just a companion box. so why would you waste $300 on a revue. if anything buy the new sony tv have it integrated or buy a apple tv for $99. google tv is being blocked my major media channels anyway. but wait yo ucan browse the iternet fro m your tv cough ( web tv) hmm if only there were devices yo ucan browse the internet on. but wait there are games. hmmm if only there things that played games. so basically buy google tv if you dont own: wii, ps3, xobx360, appletv, dvr box, cell phone , ipad,ipod, or anything else that already does most of those features. so basically a hug waste of money and you dont even know what it willget support for or of in the future. the only people i can see a use for this is older people who don’t have anything usually connected to there tvs except a dvd player.

• http://Website Westy

I agree. This would have been nice if it were on a DVR and able to give me my guide as well. I think Cable and TV networks try to throw up as much road blocks as they can for anything like this. These guys are 10000 years old and view the internet as a threat. So instead of trying to make things and seamless as possible they want to keep the internet and TV as fair apart as possible. They refuse to allow innovation to happen which sadly is what is keeping Google TV from being good. Definitely not worth 300 bucks.

• http://zalzalaweb.com/jens anakin78z

The lack of dvr is very annoying. The networks block internet streams, but there’s no good way to actually get a good live tv experience, because live tv is no longer live… it’s on my dvr (and no, I don’t have dish network).
      If I could get Google TV + Windows Media Center dvr… now that would be a game changer!

• http://Website Josh B

Cassel. (I have Peyton also I’m substituting with Sam Bradford) Oh and I’m waiting for the subsidized Revue box from dish network.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

• http://www.smartphoneheadlines.com ClickMe

It will be interesting to see how many people will invest in yet another box or will buy Google TV integrated in their next television purchase. With Apple TV not being so exciting and Netflix streaming service somewhat limited Google TV appears to be the best option at the moment.

• FrightenedByPenguins

If Google TV can come to the UK and sign some deals with Sky or one of the other main Cable/Satelite networks over here I’ll be splashing some cash on it ASAP.

Although I’m not holding my breathe for the moment.

Does anyone have any idea when the rest of world can get their hands on this?

• SGB101

i think its far to early in the game to pick a box, its the vhs/betamax, blu ray/HD battle all over again, but this time the choice on provider is much bigger and each offers only part of the content.

i can see Google winning this battle, and pulling all the services together, eg, net flix, Amazon, fox, bbc, etc..

its to early to adopt yet as your paying top dollar (as you do) now, and the service if far from complete, also above has highlighted that content providers have blocked content from Google. Also there was a story that for a short time fox was pulled from Hulu, in New Jersey (i think it was) over some dispute.

i think these issues are going to keep cropping up as the old style providers are still living on old business models and are not sure on how to make the new internet world work for them.

So this brings me back to my opening statement, just use your pc and you can access all the content available, plus Google have launched a lean-back service, check out http://www.youtube.com/leanback, its not great at the moment but its a start.

Another plus for the pc is that if you mask your ip, you can watch content from the US like hulu Fox and more that’s not meant to be available to the outside world. also if your in the US you can access the BBC iplayer, 4OD and others. use Expat shield to access UK content, and Hotspot shield to access US content.

• http://n.a Johnny

I consider myself fortunate to be able to have my PC close enough to 50″ HDTV. I laugh in the face of Google TV b/c I would never have a need for something silly like this. Couple my set up with GMote and you’re golden :)

• http://Website Johnny

Plus, who out there remembers WebTV?? *rolls eyes* This is strangely similar to me… Obviously you can’t compate the Internet now vs back when WebTV existed, but still…. Just hook up your PC to your TV people, save your money.

• http://www.joeyandroid.com JoeyAndroid

• http://www.joeyandroid.com JoeyAndroid

I wish I had time for Fantasy Football. But I’ve been following the growth and popularity of fantasy sports since the 80′s when I was one of the first to play Rotisserie Baseball.
    So I have had a lot of time to think about a better playing experience and I think Android devices/apps can provide a whole new way of experiencing Fantasy sports.

With Fantasy Football alone a billion dollar business, I can see a set of football apps that could be worth a hundred million dollars!

• http://Website fettman24

I really enjoyed my Logitech Revue during football season. While watch NFL RedZone I was also able to keep up with my scores on fantasy football in real time and on the same screen. I have it integrated with my DISH Network equipment so I can still use my DVR and have a seamless connection between the two. As a DISH employee I also know that they are offering it for only 179$. So if you are interested and have DISH that is a good way to save some money.

• twidget

I purchased the Sony Google TV and love it. Much eaiser to operate then having the computer connected to the tv, my wife finds it nice to be able to watch tv without having to mess with the computer. It is still new and cutting edge so there are some learning curves but this is the way to go. The only draw back was the Sony Google TV is all digital and has no analog inputs except the cable tv jack so a converter is needed if you want to use devices with analog outputs like an old vcr or dvd with only a/v outputs.

• twidget

a Roku is great if you are not ready to upgrade your tv. Got one for my Mom and she loves it.

1. NickNGuest 5 years ago

2. DanielGuest 5 years ago

3. damienGuest 5 years ago

• WestyGuest 5 years ago

• anakin78zGuest 5 years ago

4. Josh BGuest 5 years ago

• Haha believe it or not I had already picked up Cassel from the wire. I got Moeaki at TE this week so I wanted to pair them up.

5. ClickMeGuest 5 years ago

6. My main concern is that I’m a UK resident and excited as hell about Google TV – but I realise that any problems the US face with services being blocked by TV providers will be 10 times worse in the UK.

Although I’m not holding my breathe for the moment.

Does anyone have any idea when the rest of world can get their hands on this?

7. Just plug your pc in to your tv, and have a far grater range of content to watch. as each box/services all have their limitations.

• JohnnyGuest 5 years ago

• JohnnyGuest 5 years ago

8. I’m sold even more, the more I see demos of Google TV’s potential. But I can understand why someone may not be sold on it yet. Google TV is about the “real convergence” of the TV, the Internet, and if I can add: the Computer. There is a lot of work that needs to be done before this never-before-seen “real convergence” can be realized. Apps, not just TV content, will make or break Google TV. And the distinction between web content and TV content should get smaller if not disappear. I can see a whole new way of doing videoconferencing and 3D virtual worlds.

9. With Chicago @ home vs Was, Cincy away @ ATL, and KC @ home vs Jac; Cassel is not a bad choice! :-)

10. fettman24Guest 4 years ago