On the same day that Facebook decided to refresh their app, Twitter has also launched an update to their official Android client. Just like previous versions it needs Android 2.1 and up, but anyone that meets those requirements can grab it for free right now from the Android Market.
The big improvements to this version are mainly speed and polish. Twitter updated the Android app to match what is already available in the iOS and Windows versions, including a details page for each Tweet. Those people who like to retweet will also enjoy the new quote option that allows you to add your own comments.
After you have a chance to play with the new update, let us know what you think. Are there any other features that the official Twitter client is still missing?
New features of Twitter for Android version 1.0.5 include:
- Tweet details page. We changed the layout of the timeline and introduced a Tweet details page, which you can access by simply clicking on a Tweet. This feature – which is already available in Twitter for iPhone, Twitter for iPad and Twitter for Windows Phone – makes it easier to click on links and reply to, retweet, or favorite a Tweet.
- Speed. The app is now even faster. In this version, we’ve tried a new way of drawing a timeline of Tweets that optimizes for scrolling speed. Try it out, and you’ll see how much faster and smoother the timeline loads and scrolls.
- Polish. We added some more nice touches to the application as well:
- Pull to Refresh: This popular feature, which was first available through our iPhone app, functions just as it sounds – when you’re at the top of your timeline, simply pull down to load new Tweets.
- Swipe to Reveal: Swipe across a Tweet to get quick access to several options, such as viewing a user’s profile, sharing a tweet, or replying.
- Quote a Tweet: Clicking the retweet icon now gives you the option to quote a Tweet. Of course, you can still retweet as you normally would.