Nov 30 AT 8:19 PM Taylor Wimberly 9 Comments

Twonky Mobile brings wireless media beaming to Android

Most high-end Android phones now ship with wireless, media streaming apps that support DLNA devices, but many older phones can also enjoy this cool feature with free apps from the Android Market.

One of the most popular DLNA apps is Twonky Mobile which we first looked at last year. It was recently updated with a new look and you can download it free for a limited time.

Twonky Mobile scans your phone for music, photos and video and shares the media it finds with UPnP or DLNA-certified devices on your home network. This means you can take media on your Android phone and share it with your Xbox, PS3, or internet connected TV with the push of a button.

I’ve read some mixed reviews on the Market, but most of them are positive and I’ve had a good experience myself when using Twonky Mobile. Make sure you visit the Twonky site or official DLNA page if you need more information on wireless media sharing.

With Twonky Mobile, you can:

• Take a video you shot with your phone and instantly share it on the big screen
  • Stream a great podcast or Pandora music to your home stereo
  • Share a photo from an email with a digital picture frame

Source: Twonky

• http://Website Alex

I love the people complaining how it doesn’t work over 3g. Ill take People who shouldn’t be allowed smartphones for 800 Mr. Trebek

• Female

My main problem with it is that it doesn’t have an option to re-encode (before serving) the audio part of some videos. You see, it on-the-fly changes 3GP to MP4 for more compatibility, but it does not re-encode AMR to AAC — which is also more compatible with most DLNA clients, e.g. the PS3. This is my main problem with my Nexus One, which unfortunately records in h.264/AMR/3GP, instead of the most popular h.264/AAC/MP4 format.

The other problem I had, after I tried it with 3 Android phones (both playing the role of the server and the client), is that each doesn’t “see” the other other all the time in the network. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Pretty flaky. But I guess this is easy to fix after some testing. The AAC compatibility problem is more complex.

• http://Website sniffs

Screw the app, where can I find that shelf!?!??????????

• http://Website ceppm

Much more interesting I find an app that can read FROM my DLNA devices and stream TO my phone. Chances are, all other devices in my house are going to have more storage than my phone so I want to be able to listen to my music collection or browse my pictures without downloading them to my phone.

UPnPlay does that. It connects to my WD 1TB network drive and accesses my 80+ GB music collection. I can plug my phone to my living room amplifier and play the music.

• http://Website TJ

ceppm,
      The nice thing about Twonky Mobile (over the original Twonky Server) is they integrated the control point and renderer capabilities. I have successfully done the use case you mentioned (browsed my nas and streamed music to the phone). You can also browse any upnp/dlna server in your home network and stream content to any dlna DMR compliant renderer. Works well with my Samsung 7 series TV and Sonos music player.
      TJ

• cschle

• http://Website John Riordan

Damn this is good stuff – it allows my network stored music to be streamed to my Linn DS.

Exactly what I was looking for!!

• autumnriver

Despite a number of articles claiming that Twoney Mobile can stream Pandora to a home network, it can’t. It can’t stream anything from the internet. It can download a music or video file to the mobile phone, and once downloaded it can be streamed to devices on a home network, but not directly from the internet. Apple has solved this for Pandora; the Android community has not.

If you are developer, it should not be that hard: create an app that takes the audio output from the Pandora app, and stream it to a home network. Once again, Apple is out in front.

• Mark

I have tried several application and I end up using ArkMC https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arkudadigital.arkmc.gm application. It has simple interface but a lof of functions.

1. AlexGuest 4 years ago

2. FemaleGuest 4 years ago

3. sniffsGuest 4 years ago

Screw the app, where can I find that shelf!?!??????????

4. ceppmGuest 4 years ago

• TJGuest 4 years ago

ceppm,
      TJ

5. works great for me. the only issue that i have either yet to work around or get over is that it only streams mp3′s from my computer, laptop or phone to my samsung tv. i haven’t attempted to do this through my xbox 360 but it still works well and i enjoy listening to my music through surround sound now rather than on my computer speakers.

6. John RiordanGuest 4 years ago

Exactly what I was looking for!!

7. autumnriverGuest 4 years ago