Nov 22 AT 3:49 PM Taylor Wimberly 15 Comments

Unreal Engine games coming to single-core Android phones

Previously we reported that some new 3D games built on the Unreal Engine would require dual-core processors like the Tegra 2, but new info suggests we should see some of these games on the current generation of single-core phones that support OpenGL ES 2.0.

The news comes via Trendy Entertainment who is currently developing Dungeon Defenders: First Wave and is planning a cross-platform launch for the holidays. Our friend Andrew from Droid Gamers spotted the following note on their site:

“It’s coming to all iOS devices 3GS & up, and most OpenGL ES2.0 capable Android devices, and with cross-compatible characters has essentially all the same features as the console version (though, at $2.99, less content). “

This means that existing phones like the Samsung Galaxy S, Droid 2, Droid X, and any HTC phone with the second-gen Snapdragon should all be able to enjoy Dungeon Defenders and hopefully other games built with the Unreal Engine.

In addition to iOS and Android, Dungeon Defenders will also be available on PC, Xbox Live, and Playstation Network. Check out the new teaser video for an idea of what to expect.

If you are looking for a 3D RPG to hold you over in the mean time, make sure to check out Pocket Legends for free on the Android Market.

Via: Droid Gamers

Source: Dungeon Defenders

Taylor is the founder of Android and Me. He resides in Dallas and carries the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and HTC One as his daily devices. Ask him a question on Twitter or Google+ and he is likely to respond. | Ethics statement

    Most Tweeted This Week

  • http://Website Ben

    YES! YES! YES!

  • http://Website Ban

    Well i guess this makes sense. I mean with that rage stuff on the iphone(for now) and the already capable gpus on most new phones.

  • http://Website Hans

    Damn, I guess it won’t work for the Droid. :(

    • Nicko01

      Actually, the original Droid does have OpenGL ES 2.0.

  • http://Website Bon

    So unreal games are a no go on the n1?

    • http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

      I would say maybe, but it might be slow. The Nexus One uses the first gen Snapdragon and it has a pretty weak GPU compared to the newer phones.

  • http://Website dezvous

    When I bought my vibrant, I did so based on the realization that my phone would be faster than an Iphone4 and that therefore any games created on iOS that were ported over to Android I could run with no trouble.

  • http://Website Lollipop

    Does the G2 have the second gen snapdragon??

    • http://Website Ullx

      You bet XD

  • http://Website metafor

    Why would it ever make sense for a game to be reliant on a dual-core CPU? The limiting factor is the GPU, not the CPU for gaming performance.

    And even if, somehow, it was trying to offload some of the graphics calculations to the CPU, you can’t do that on Tegra 2 anyway due to the lack of an FP unit.

  • http://Website Seph

    i guess nexus one is left out in the cold for this one :(

  • http://Website unc4life

    can the evo run this game?

  • http://Website zedklind

    except the problem with this is the licensing.. Epic is charging 25% of sales after $5,000. Google is charging 30% of total sale. 25$ to open up a dev profile on the market and 99$ for a license from epic. we’re talking about 125 just to push the game and 55% cut after $5,000. google and epic need to make a deal with the cut or it wont be very profitable to spend 6months making a game and then only get 45% out of it. thats not including taxes and if the game sells… 3rd party small businesses of 5-10 workers wont get what they worked for. cmon google fix this please. no one is going to spend 6months to a year with little to no payout. its just dumb..

    • http://stooch.net stooch

      Agreed. Fuck that

  • http://Website ultramega

    Great… So am I out of luck with my HTC Desire?

  1. BenGuest 5 years ago

    YES! YES! YES!

  2. BanGuest 5 years ago

    Well i guess this makes sense. I mean with that rage stuff on the iphone(for now) and the already capable gpus on most new phones.

  3. HansGuest 5 years ago

    Damn, I guess it won’t work for the Droid. :(

  4. BonGuest 5 years ago

    So unreal games are a no go on the n1?

    • I would say maybe, but it might be slow. The Nexus One uses the first gen Snapdragon and it has a pretty weak GPU compared to the newer phones.

  5. dezvousGuest 5 years ago

    When I bought my vibrant, I did so based on the realization that my phone would be faster than an Iphone4 and that therefore any games created on iOS that were ported over to Android I could run with no trouble.

  6. LollipopGuest 5 years ago

    Does the G2 have the second gen snapdragon??

  7. metaforGuest 5 years ago

    Why would it ever make sense for a game to be reliant on a dual-core CPU? The limiting factor is the GPU, not the CPU for gaming performance.

    And even if, somehow, it was trying to offload some of the graphics calculations to the CPU, you can’t do that on Tegra 2 anyway due to the lack of an FP unit.

  8. SephGuest 5 years ago

    i guess nexus one is left out in the cold for this one :(

  9. unc4lifeGuest 5 years ago

    can the evo run this game?

  10. zedklindGuest 4 years ago

    except the problem with this is the licensing.. Epic is charging 25% of sales after $5,000. Google is charging 30% of total sale. 25$ to open up a dev profile on the market and 99$ for a license from epic. we’re talking about 125 just to push the game and 55% cut after $5,000. google and epic need to make a deal with the cut or it wont be very profitable to spend 6months making a game and then only get 45% out of it. thats not including taxes and if the game sells… 3rd party small businesses of 5-10 workers wont get what they worked for. cmon google fix this please. no one is going to spend 6months to a year with little to no payout. its just dumb..

  11. ultramegaGuest 4 years ago

    Great… So am I out of luck with my HTC Desire?