Our friends from Trendy Entertainment just informed us that their game Dungeon Defenders: Fist Wave is coming to the Android Market on December 23rd. This is a significant milestone for Android devices because it’s the first time that we have seen a game powered by the Unreal Engine, which many console and PC games are built with.
At first we thought the Unreal Engine might be limited to Android devices with dual-core processors, but later we learned it would be coming to many existing phones. Trendy Entertainment tells us the requirements for their game will be an 800 MHz CPU or great, 512 MB RAM, Android 2.1 or later, and at least 400 MB free space on your SD card.
Epic Games just released the new Unreal Developer Kit (UDK) with support for iOS, but the public Android release is coming later. Mark Reign, VP and Co-Founder of Epic Games, tweeted that iOS is their focus for now and Android will be coming later.
I expect we will hear an announcement about UDK support for Android next month at CES. Once that is publicly available, it will mean that all the big game studios can easily get their games running on Android. For an idea of the game studios working with Unreal Engine 3, check out this huge list from Wikipedia.
I’ve seen Dungeon Defenders run on the iPhone and it looks pretty awesome, so we are pretty excited to get our hands on it in a couple weeks. The game is said to offer cross-platform online play so we should be able to game with our iOS friends soon enough. Check out the trailer video and see below for a full list of system requirements and phones that will be supported.
- 512 MB RAM
- GPU capable of OpenGL ES 2.0
- Android 2.1 Eclair
- 800 Mhz CPU or greater recommended
- SD card with at least 400 MB free storage
Specifically Tested Compatibility List:
- All Tegra 2 Based Devices: Fully Compatible
- Nexus S: Fully Compatible
- Samsung Galaxy Tab: Fully Compatible
- Samsung Galaxy based Cell Phones: Fully Compatible on all with 100 MB RAM free
- Droid 2: Fully Compatible
- Droid X: Fully Compatible
- HTC Evo 4G: Fully Compatible
- HTC Incredible: Fully Compatible
- myTouch 4G: Mostly compatible, have some occasional stability issue
- T-Mobile G2: Fully compatible
- Dell Streak: Fully compatible
- HTC Desire: Fully compatible
- Nexus One: Fully compatible
Bonus: Want more info about Trendy Entertainment? Check out the interview with Development Director, Jeremy Stieglitz, done by our friends at Droid Gamers.