ShopSavvy is the longest running barcode scanner application for Android, launching in the first wave of apps for the Android Market. Since it was released, it has truly been one of Android’s must-have applications. Today, Big in Japan has officially released the fourth version of ShopSavvy, which brings a revamped user interface that mimics the look of the new Android market.
Version 4.0 also brings the following new additional features:
- Live stream of recent scans using the ShopSavvy application (more on that in the next section)
- Better scanning technology which allows for full 360 degree scanning so you can scan the image from any direction
- Enhanced sharing features such as sharing info via Twitter and Facebook
- Export your historical scans to Microsoft Excel or Apple iWorks
- ShopSavvy Deals – a service which searches your historical scans to look for price changes at all retailers (including if a purchased product drops in price after you’ve bought it, alerting you whether you can take in your receipt for a refund of the difference)
The new homescreen for ShopSavvy 4 features a live feed of user scans from around the United States. This feature pulls in both the item name, the city in which the item was scanned, and the best available price for that item. Users can simply click on any item in the live feed, and it will scan both online and your local retailers to find the best available price. Think the live feed is a little too big-brother-y? Rest half-assured. Users can switch to the standard personal historical scans view in the settings, but there doesn’t appear to be a way to prevent your scans from showing up in other users’ live stream feeds.
All things considered, Shopsavvy version 4 is an awesome update which should please ShopSavvy users once you get used to the new layout and features. If you haven’t yet checked out ShopSavvy on your Android device, you may want to download the free application now.
Don’t like the new UI update? The folks at ShopSavvy have also released GoCart, which is basically a legacy edition of their most recent pre-4.0 update release (version 3.6).