The Atrix 4G is not your normal Android phone. It is a mobile computer that can transform into a laptop, desktop, set-top box, and a phone. We previously learned that the laptop dock might debut around $150 and today we discovered that the HD multimedia dock could sell for less than half that price.
A place-holder page on the wireless superstore Fommy.com has the HD dock currently listed for $59.95, which sounds like a reasonable price when you consider what the accessory can do. The HD dock includes three USB ports to hook up a keyboard, mouse, plus external storage and it also sports a micro HDMI port for full HD playback. Motorola also threw in a wireless remote control to control the media center app.
When the Atrix is placed in the HD dock it can launch Motorola’s webtop application for a full desktop experience or their entertainment center app. Each dock remembers which mode you originally set it up for, so you could purchase multiple docks and have your Atrix automatically know where you are and what you need.
If you don’t want all the extra bells and whistles, it looks like Motorola will also offer a standard dock as Fommy has one listed for $49.
We still don’t have an official launch date, but the Atrix 4G will be in stores by the end of February. It’s a good thing this phone might sell for $149 on new 2-year contract, because I’ll need to save my money to purchase all its accessories.
Features of the HD multimedia dock include:
- Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a full battery
- Automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit
- Phone can still be used during charging
- Compact, lightweight and stylish
- The desktop charger allows docking and charging
- It also allows you to connect to a PC or laptop for USB charging and data synchronization all from this compact little station
- Listen to music, see photos or watch HD videos using a standard HDMI cable (sold separately)
- In desktop-only mode, listen to your music or use as a digital picture frame while charging your Motorola ATRIX 4G