Feb 09 AT 1:23 PM Taylor Wimberly 24 Comments

MetroPCS debuts first 4G LTE Android phone, Samsung Galaxy Indulge

We don’t give MetroPCS much love on this site, but the nation’s fifth largest carrier just announced their first relevant Android smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy Indulge is the world’s first commercially available 4G LTE Android smartphone and it goes on sale later this week for $399 without a contract.

The Galaxy Indulge is MetroPCS’s version of the Galaxy S, as hinted by its name. It features the same 1 GHz Hummingbird processor we know and love, but MetroPCS opted for a 3.5-inch TFT LCD over the normal 4-inch Super AMOLED display to cut costs. Other features include Android 2.2,  a four-row QWERTY keyboard, 3 megapixel camera, 1500mAH battery, and support for 4G LTE.

Some of the original Galaxy S phones went for $599 at full retail price, so the Galaxy Indulge is a pretty darn good deal at $399 with its speedy Hummingbird processor and LTE support.

“The Galaxy Indulge integrates two of Samsung’s core product investments; the Android platform and bringing powerful and intuitive 4G-enabled devices to the U.S. market,” said Omar Khan, chief strategy officer for Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy Indulge is loaded with the speed of the Android OS, true mobile broadband connectivity and a 1GHz processor with rich multimedia features for premium movie and TV content.”

MetroPCS’s now covers 90 percent of the USA and the company began rolling out their 4G LTE network last year. The carrier’s motto is “Wireless for all” since they offer “unbeatable national rate plans for unlimited talk, text and web, with all-in pricing, additional taxes and regulatory fees included, no contracts, and no hidden surprises.”

Customers who pick up the Galaxy Indulge can choose from two 4G LTE smartphone service plans. Unlimited talk, text, and 1 GB of data will run $50 and unlimited talk, text, and web goes for $60. All of MetroPCS’s plans include all applicable taxes and regulatory fees, so these are some of the cheapest 4G plans you will find on any carrier, plus no contract is required!

“Our commitment to offering premium, feature-rich smartphones was once again fulfilled today with the introduction of the Samsung Galaxy Indulge, which will allow consumers to experience the vast benefits of both MetroPCS’ 4GLTE services and the Android operating system,” said Roger D. Linquist, president, CEO and chairman of MetroPCS. “Mobile consumers no longer have to choose between low cost service and high-end Android handsets. Instead, they can truly have it all by being able to select from a full spectrum of feature and smartphones paired with 4GLTE services at an unmatched value.”

If you are tired of the high rates that AT&T and Verizon are charging, then MetroPCS deserves a long hard look. They currently offer 4G coverage in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Detroit, North Florida (Orlando), South Florida (Miami), Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Sacramento, and San Francisco.

The Samsung Galaxy Indulge appears to be a great choice for Android fans looking for a 4G phone, but without the high 4G costs. Let’s hope that MetroPCS continues to expand their Android lineup.

Show Press Release

METROPCS AND SAMSUNG MOBILE UNVEIL THE SAMSUNG GALAXY INDULGE, THE WORLD’S FIRST COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE 4G LTE ANDROID SMARTPHONE

Consumers can have it all — apps, entertainment and organization tools with lightning fast speeds — at about half the price of other 4G smartphone service plans

DALLAS— February 9, 2011 – MetroPCS Communications, Inc. (NYSE: PCS), the nation’s leading provider of unlimited, no annual contract, flat-rate wireless service, and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), the number one mobile phone provider in the U.S. 1, today introduced the world’s first commercially available 4GLTE enabled Android smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy Indulge.

At about half the cost of other 4G smartphone service plans today, consumers can truly have it all with MetroPCS’ $50 and $60 4GLTE smartphone service plans, which include all applicable taxes and regulatory fees.  MetroPCS is delivering this unmatched value with unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE Web page browsing, along with data access to streaming audio, video and gaming content, downloads and Android applications.

Powered by Android 2.2 (Froyo), the Galaxy Indulge is the perfect smartphone for those who want to manage every aspect of their lives from a mobile device. MetroPCS’ 4GLTE service delivers lightning fast Web page browsing and also allows customers to watch and listen to exclusive entertainment and multimedia content from their favorite shows through the MetroSTUDIO application. Quick access to the Android Market provides more than 100,000 applications to consumers’ fingertips and Android’s intuitive user interface with Samsung TouchWiz enhancements makes customizing the device’s home screens simple and easy. The Galaxy Indulge’s combination touch screen/QWERTY keyboard means consumers can send messages via e-mail, SMS or social media channels through whichever input method they choose.

The Galaxy Indulge provides complete access to Google Mobile services, including Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail and YouTube. This sleek smartphone features a 3 megapixel camera and camcorder with auto-focus, music player, Stereo Bluetooth capabilities and expandable memory storage up to 32GB. Additionally, the Galaxy Indulge includes a 4GB microSDâ„¢ card, preloaded with the action film “IRONMAN 2,” produced by Paramount Pictures2.

The Samsung Galaxy Indulge is the second LTE-enabled mobile phone offered by MetroPCS, following the Samsung Craft TM which was introduced in late 2010. The Galaxy Indulge will be available in MetroPCS stores and online later this week with a suggested retail price of $399 plus tax.

Visit www.metropcs.com for store location information or to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Indulge online and sign up for service plans. To find out more information on the Samsung Galaxy Indulge, please visit www.samsungwireless.com or www.samsungusanews.com.

Source: MetroPCS

• http://Website Hans

Not bad for Metro.

• BiGMERF

• Prince77

Not if they don’t have a screen that big. Metro is smart, they probably have a bigger phone on the way.

• http://Website Deon

hmmm. I love my G2 but hate T-mobile. Their data has been spotty, 3G/HSPA coverage and even HSPA+ coverage is iffy at best. I’m not liking AT&T and Verizon’s pricing structures and contracts and taxes, etc. I was looking at Simple Mobile because they’re prepay and use T-Mobile’s network and phones and pricing is good. So I could just drop a Simple Mobile chip into my G2, but I’d still be on the same crappy network. I never thought much for MetroPCS but their site says I got LTE coverage in my area, and this phone ain’t half bad. I’ll have to play w/ it when it comes out and ‘consider’ the possibility.

• http://Website Raptor

I do not understand something. It is beyond me. I wrote to their CEO 2-3 years ago same things when seen the phone choices.

Is it hard to offer customers not the craphones, not the poor man junk, but ones everyone thinks are great? I mean just those high end phones people discuss in all forums. What the problem with this network? It’s like some kind of mental stupor. They always offered only crap as if they are themselves developing these phones. Despite LTE, who the hell need 3.5″ screen? Even children prefer more then 4″ (love those with 4.3″) , old people do not see anything on small screen too. Middle age ones think it is cheap.

iPhone4 by having 3.5″ made itself an outcast for asian hand people and girls (many would love to see “iPhone for man” with >4.3″ screen). The only excuse is its super-resolution, so that you can wear 2+ glasses and see stuff from 7-8″, but AMOLEDs has bad pentile matrix and even new ones do not match iPhone4

This network would have 3 times larger users base if they’d just put good phones there. Many good phones so your eyes would want them all. Is it hard?

• http://Website Confused

What?

Your post made no sense at all. I will respond to the one thing I understood. The reason they have the 3.5 inch screen is to keep costs down. There’s a reason not everyone owns a 55-inch LED TV, they cost more than a 40-inch. MetroPCS has to keep phone prices low since they don’t subsidize the phones like the big contract networks do and a lot of people don’t like to drop $600 on a phone. Also, your rant about the iPhone and Asians and women made absolutely no sense. I’m still trying to figure it out.

• http://Website Richard

As a former metropcs customer i am glad to see them making enrodes to better products plus there LTE service is up and running now. Still though they need to invest in better handsets besides SAMSUNG then maybe they will be TRULY CONSIDERED BY PEOPLE.. I am glad to see them making forward progress

• http://Website Addictive

With metros prices and no contract and samsungs processor who wouldn’t want this phone? People should really keep an eye on metro. Just give a bigger screen and what else do you need?

• http://Website jojo

is this going to be a CDMA only phone??

• http://Website YoSaintLaurent

I question the choice to go with the TFT rather than a AMOLED, SLCD or OLED display. I understand why the Super AMOLED was out of the question but there are better alternatives especially when you bundle the phone with a movie. I disagree with anyone complaining about the screen size. The iPhone and iPod Touch have always both featured that size screen and both devices have are not hindered by that fact. However it is good to see MetroPCS making moves like this. I think if the do decide to release some more phone like or better than this other carriers will have to look at them are more than just a company for people who can’t get a contact phone and more as a very serious competitor.

• Galen20K

• http://Website norman

im looking for android pfone for the first time thinking bout the android from hauwie ………let me no

• http://Website Dannydarko

Not sure where you are from but take a pass on the Huawei if you are referring to the Comet. If you want a value android handset worth its weight, get any of the LG Optimus variants even the Virgin Mobile one is good. Its a great starter handset without having to sacrifice to much. If you want a higher end phone and aree willing to spend the $400 then buy the newly released HTC Inspire from from AT&T. Have it unlocked if you do not like their service Thats what I am doing. Hope this helped out.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=HTC+Inspire+(TM)+4G*&q_sku=sku5100284?device=HTC+Inspire. Its the same price to buy outright :)

• Illeana

Def pass on the Hauwei. My fiance and I tried them out, and it just isn’t worth the lost money. Save your money for a better android, these Hauwei phones just give Android a bad name.

• http://yahoo.com remi

im getting 1 in 4 weeks

• http://Website lea

i love this phone its awsome!!!!! <3 and im getting one tomorrow!

• http://www.samsungsmarttv.co.uk/sitemap.xml buy the new smart tv

What?s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid other customers like its helped me. Great job.

• silvino

Why my phone is not cover with 4g speed?i have the samsung 4glt of metro pcs and the signal is sucks

• http://smsflatrate.wordpress.com/tag/smsflat/ sms senden

My brother suggested I may like this web site. He used to be totally right. This submit truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

• http://www.squidoo.com/samsung-galaxy-w Galaxy W SIM Free

That is very fascinating, You’re an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in the hunt for extra of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

• charliethesuperturtle

almost one year later ;D

• Chris

I have the galaxy 4G and I dnt get 4G signal. I just moved down the street and I got 4G signal at my old place and now I dnt what can I do to get 4G signal???

• Abbey

I have the samsung galaxy s 3 and love it!! Its Verizon, and I only pay 50 a month and have plenty of talk text and web time!

• ISAIAS BANDALA HERNANDEZ
  1. HansGuest 4 years ago

Not bad for Metro.

2. 3.5 screen? I understand the reason why but this will cause problems with those who already owned 4 inch + screens, even 3.7 seems a lot bigger. However low pricing/no contract makes you think

3. DeonGuest 4 years ago

4. RaptorGuest 4 years ago

• ConfusedGuest 4 years ago

What?

5. RichardGuest 4 years ago

6. AddictiveGuest 4 years ago

7. jojoGuest 4 years ago

is this going to be a CDMA only phone??

8. YoSaintLaurentGuest 4 years ago

9. the resolution on their website says HVGA (320X480), hmmm… another cost cutting tactic I guess.

10. normanGuest 4 years ago

• DannydarkoGuest 4 years ago

• IlleanaGuest 3 years ago

11. remiGuest 4 years ago

im getting 1 in 4 weeks

12. leaGuest 4 years ago

i love this phone its awsome!!!!! <3 and im getting one tomorrow!

13. buy the new smart tvGuest 3 years ago