Feb 08 AT 12:09 PM Taylor Wimberly 34 Comments

Myriad’s Alien Dalvik brings Android apps to non-Android phones

Today Myriad Group announced the launch of Alien Dalvik, which is a virtual machine that allows Android apps to run on non-Android platforms. Myriad was one of the original members of the Open Handset Alliance, so they have been with Android since the early days and already shipped over 3.7 billion software applications on more than 2.2 billion phones.

Myriad’s solution enables the majority of Android apps to run unmodified on new devices. App store owners just need to simply repackage Android Package (APK) files.

“The proliferation of Android has been staggering, but there is still room for growth. By extending Android to other platforms, we are opening up the market even further, creating new audiences and revenue opportunities,” said Simon Wilkinson, Chief Executive Officer, Myriad Group.

Alien Dalvik will be demoed for the first time at next week’s Mobile World Congress on a Nokia N900. Myriad plans to release Alien Dalvik for the MeeGo platform later this year and additional platform support will be announced in the coming months.

Which current devices do you own that you would like to see Android apps on one day?

Source: Myriad Group

• http://Website adryan

if you want android applications why not get one of the many awsome android phones. Problem solved

• http://Website tottyrice

because nokia makes awesome hardware but uses weak software to run them

• http://Website Dragos

Nokia buying Myriad (or at least buying a license to put it on Nokia smartphones) is probably the smartest thing Nokia can do now to save its butt. This seems to answer the main handicap of any newly created/upgraded OS: the lack of apps for it. Nokia indeed produce very nice hardware, so being able to run Android apps could be very nice.

Now let’s hope that someone makes a similar thing to be able to run iOS (and any other) apps on Android – that would be really cool for us Android lovers!

• http://Website uzunoff

How is this going to promote android by letting other OSes have the apps? That’s the opposite of promoting android. You can have the apps without android.

Doesn’t make sense

• http://Website Inquisitor

shit, clicked wrong button. meant that as a +1.

• http://Website Codino

Google has a big plan and spending so much on Android without a return. Google wants everybody to use Android and Android apps for free. Wants to reach a place where everybody depends on and uses Android. That’s the plan. Google at the end of the line is an ad company. It is making so much money from it’s search engines and services and spending that so much money on Android and Chrome OS and not willing to seek a return.

• http://Website Jason

Think about it. This means that building for Android is now a much better prospect for devs since they can easily repackage those apps for other OSes. Compare that to building for iOS or Windows Phone first. Instead of making your app accessible for only one section of the market, building for Android means making your app accessible to several.

Not only will this bring devs to Android, but this will mean that Android will get a lot of apps before other OSes.

• http://Website Codino

This is super! I just want to know what makes it hard for Android touch screens not to be so responsive and sophisticated like the iOS devices? Everything else in the Android is way better. I think people use iPhones just because of the nice user experience. Couldn’t find why other phones can’t reach the same user experience.
    2011 is the year of Android apps available in Blackberry Playbook and Nokia. Are they ever gonna be as responsive as the apps on the iPhones? Is this matter a hardware or software problem? Does the iPhone multitouch patent has to do anything with this?
    If anyone has an answer please do. Thanks

• http://Website Nate

Originally apple used a superior touch sensor to the ones that many android manufacturers were using. However at this point android phones are about on par with iphones in terms of touch responsiveness.

• http://Website Mathew

I want android apps on my ubuntu netbook :)

• kevin

Agree. The Android emulator is slow as molasses. If they can get this to work on a desktop machine it would make development much better.

• http://Website ablkida

Hellz yeah! Ubuntu + Android = Awesomeness!

• http://Website Roberto

so i own a Iphone4 and Nokia N900 how do i install this to my Nokia N900 that looks great and runs very smooth. Still to this day i think the N900 is such a good device i use it so much on skype too bad the adobe flash is not updated to 10.1

• MorphiusFaydal

• http://Website Anonymous

I wonder how long it will take to get this application to work on the ever so buggy & crappy iPhone (App Store or Cydia). Those poor souls with the iPhone need to really experience what Android has everyday.

• http://Website Derek

Buggy and crappy?? You fanboy-ness is really showing through. I have a samsung captivate and I know for a fact Android is much more buggy than iOS. One area the iphone beats the pants off of android phones…their stuff simply works. Its not flashy, no widgets or UI skins (whether good or bad) but their OS just works great, beats the pants off android in that department.

• http://Website Anonymous

Well, with all due respect, that right there is your problem… you have the Samsung Captivate.
        Perhaps you should try a different Android phone, say something other than Samsung?

• http://Website Anonymous

By the way: How is it Apple’s iPhone’s “stuff just works” when the antenna drops signals & calls?
        Apples solution: Put a big black rubber band around it to hold it together to work. lol

Furthermore, I believe I do qualify to comment on both, seeing as how I have owned both. And after seeing the best & worst of iOS & Android, Android is so much better. I enjoy useful widgets, custom ROM’s, themes, etc. I don’t need Steve Jobs telling me whats best for me & use only what he & his evil Apple empire wants me to have. I love having choices.

• http://Website Ryan Kim

I think it would be great if I could download apps off the online android market and run them on my computer. Imagine the possibilities.

• http://asurroca.com Alfonso Surroca

With how powerful Android devices are getting lately, what I’d like to do see is the ability to run Windows applications on an Android device. WINE for Android, anyone?

• http://Website @neidlinger

That is exactly what this sounds like. And with Chrome opening a WebStore that has chrome based applications in it. I could see a Android emulator coming to a Linux computer near you.

• http://Website Eion

Perhaps a “WINE for Android” would be better suited towards tablets. I think the G-slate and XOOM could handle that with no problems at all. Phone screens are too small, though, no matter how fast the processors are. They would need app versions made. I’d STILL love a decent Guitar Pro app on Android.. they just released an iPhail one, so yeahh.

• http://Website My Galaxy

Thats the problem with open source, if people with phones other than the iphone thinks they can get cool apps on there phones they just to have then they stick with them. I’m sure it would be harder to get iphone apps running on other phones.

Question is how does notification and widgets work on there?

• http://Website Eion

I think you misunderstand the concept of Dalvik and Alien Dalvik. Dalvik, on Android, is simply a VM that lets JAVA apps (the majority of Android apps) run on Android. The system itself isn’t run in Dalvik, but Dalvik runs in the system. Similarly, Alien Dalvik would be probably something of a framework app, an app used to tell Android apps how to run. Widgets would be a moot point unless you wanted to run a home screen app in Dalvik, which would be laggy and pointless. Notifications would be irrelevant, as well, I think.

• McLovin

I tried it and it worked. Basically they have a VM booting a standalone bootable Android .iso image. The stuff is a bit old (2009) and I didn’t go looking for more recent stuff yet.

• kevin

Is the emulator faster when run this way? The emulator is super slow when run natively in windows.

• http://Website lolobabes

how about multitasking? is that not going to be a problem?

• keridel

It would well on something like dells flip top laptop. Where when it is tablet mode you could run apps and in laptop mode run window programs.

• Uncemister

I want word wise on my nokia n900!!!

• http://Website Zyrquix

I want this on my Roku.

• http://Website busaapaniakic

Hi Friends,

This is Martin Bayless & i am newbie to this stunning forum. I bring about this forum dialect right captivating and more pragmatic thatswhy i am very much much uneasy to couple here. I desire all friends are plagiarize me on this trip and i pleasure enjoy to staying here.

Thanks a everything
    Martin Bayless

• http://www.aplikasiandroid.info/search/label/apps?updated-max=2011-08-23T13%3A36%3A00%2B07%3A00&max-results=20 aplikasi Android

Thank you, I’ve just been looking for info approximately this topic for a long time and yours is the best I’ve discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the source?

• qamber

when is this going to launch we have already passed to 2012 , i have been waiting for this app from almost 1 and half year ?

1. adryanGuest 4 years ago

• tottyriceGuest 4 years ago

because nokia makes awesome hardware but uses weak software to run them

• DragosGuest 4 years ago

2. uzunoffGuest 4 years ago

Doesn’t make sense

• InquisitorGuest 4 years ago

shit, clicked wrong button. meant that as a +1.

• CodinoGuest 4 years ago

• JasonGuest 4 years ago

3. CodinoGuest 4 years ago

If anyone has an answer please do. Thanks

• NateGuest 4 years ago

4. MathewGuest 4 years ago

I want android apps on my ubuntu netbook :)

5. RobertoGuest 4 years ago

• Presumably sometime after they show it off at Mobile World Congress next week they will make it available for download or purchase and you can get Android apps on your snazzy N900. :-)

6. AnonymousGuest 4 years ago

• DerekGuest 4 years ago

• AnonymousGuest 4 years ago

• AnonymousGuest 4 years ago

7. Ryan KimGuest 4 years ago

8. Alfonso SurrocaGuest 4 years ago

• @neidlingerGuest 4 years ago

• EionGuest 4 years ago

9. My GalaxyGuest 4 years ago

Question is how does notification and widgets work on there?

• EionGuest 4 years ago

10. This got me looking because I had heard of running an Android VM on a windows machine before. I found this: How To Run Android OS inside windows at:

11. lolobabesGuest 4 years ago

how about multitasking? is that not going to be a problem?

• If I understand correctly multi tasking is a.mmoot point as the VM would run each app separately I think.

12. I want word wise on my nokia n900!!!

13. ZyrquixGuest 4 years ago