Feb 09 AT 2:26 PM Taylor Wimberly 15 Comments

Xperia Play to Verizon, Motorola Xoom also coming to AT&T?

Two high-profile Android devices received hints today about their potential future homes (carriers).

AT&T has been Sony Ericsson’s biggest supporter as of late so we assumed the Xperia Play might be headed their way, but a leak at Wirefly suggested that Verizon might get the “PlayStation Phone” first. Wirefly already updated their comparison chart to list the carrier as “to be determined” instead of Verizon, but they are one of the largest online retailers of smartphones so we trust they would know the carrier ahead of time and accidentally let it slip out.

Next we learned that the Motorola Xoom tablet will be making its way to AT&T sometime in 2011. Our friends at AllThingsD conducted an interview with AT&T Chief Marketing Officer David Christopher where he confirmed they will be launching several Android tablets including the Xoom. No release date was specified, but I expect we will see the Xoom on AT&T in the second half of 2011 after their LTE network launches.

It’s a little surprising to see Verizon go after the Xperia Play after they just switched their focus to the iPhone, but Android is still an important part of their strategy and I guess they don’t want AT&T to steal their Droid customers.

Via: AllThingsD

Source: Wirefly

• http://Website WRussom

I’m really surprised Verizon has taken to the iPhone with such vigor. I think they’re going to be sorely disappointed with the returns from android users who switch because of “grass is greener” syndrome. Verizon’s push for the iPhone doesn’t affect me as an at&t customer, but I switched to android from the iPhone and android is definitely the better OS. I just wish HTC had more of an offering on at&t. The only high-end device is the captivate which is a really good device IMO (with custom roms ) but a few things like the GPS has really made me regret my purchase w Samsung. In the future unless something big happens, Samsung will be my last choice.

• keridel

I think the PlayStation phone will come out on the orange/T-Mobile network here first and vodafone will get the xoom. Orange and T-Mobile are much more young person orientated where as coda tend to go high end.

The iPhone debuted on o2 though and it would be a coup for them to get the xoom..

I will do some digging with my phone seller contacts…

• http://Website R.S

I can’t remember where but I thought I had read somewhere that T-Mobile UK was receiving the Xperia Play. I don’t know how credible the source was but I’ll try and see if I can find it.

In all honesty, I figured AT&T would be the one to snag the Xperia Play. Aren’t they pretty much the only carrier that’s consistantly carried SE phones?

• http://Website Austin

Sounds awesome…i just wish Sprint would get some love…for anything!

• http://www.bestandroiddeals.com Paul Paulson

Ok, AT&T and Verizon are really taking over with all the lust worthy Android devices. I hope T-Mobile and Sprint can keep up. The G-Slate looks sweet but no great phones have been announced for Tmo yet and the Echo just isn’t cutting it for Sprint.

• http://Website Gomez

The Pyramid and Verdi should be on TMOBILE.

• http://Website Tito!

Trust Me, T-Mobile is not behind. They have plenty to be planned for this year :)
      Many of you that are fans of the upcoming “HTC-Sprint” deal, I’m sure many of you can agree Sprint isn’t either. (Unless it’s an Evo deal, than good luck!)
      But honestly, AT&T & Verizon are all the hype. (Perhaps boostered by the iPhone)
      That isn’t to say T-Mo & Sprint aren’t behind.
      G-Slate is promising to kick Xoom’s butt! (I personally see Xoom as another smartphone from Motrola only with a larger screen. With Verizon? Please. Other Manufacturers are more then ready to replace the hype, bond and overratedness of Verizon-Motorola.

Acknowledge, this is a comment of envy. I personally enjoy Motorola (especially MotoBLUR) & Expect to see more exciting things from them (T-Mobile Bound) but, I might have to take a resort and when their ready to deliver something I like, I’ll more then likely consider it.

Right now I have my eyes set on G-Slate (LG in General), shockingly Samsung (Maybe? Just their Sidekick) after clearly expressing how I despised them the most of all manufacturers I’m starting to come around.

Android is play pen, have fun in it! :)

G-Slate ♥
      LG Smartphone (3D?) ♥
      Samsung Sidekick ♥
      Galaxy S? Maybe.
      HTC Pyramid? Maybe.
      MotoBLUR ♥
      T-Mobile ♥

• http://Website Mike Wong

Xoom for AT&T better not cost $800. I’m hoping it will cost $500 or less.

• http://Website Nexus Eddie

I though SE didn’t make CDMA phones?

• http://Website Benjamin

I don’t think they do. Someone else also pointed out that SE and AT&T have been in bed for a long time. I see this going to AT&T maybe Tmobile. This would be a great asset to AT&T since they lost the iPhone exclusivity to get a actual gaming platform phone. The fact that it has android is a bonus. Either way SE will have a presentation on Sunday february 13 to announce the xperia play. I’m guessing AT&T in us if it’s in verizon I’d be shocked to say the least especially since their kissing apples bum right now.

• http://Website Drew

You’re right, they don’t make any CDMA phones. (inside the U.S. at least) http://www.zdnet.com/news/sony-ericsson-no-cdma-in-us-phones/130098

In all fairness, this could be an LTE device which would techinically be GSM, but it’s still gonna require a CDMA chipset for Verizon Wireless. So, I doubt it, this thing is probably going to AT&T.

• http://Website jose

Im so happy this phone might be coming to Verizon I’m praying it is as long the specs are good enough like an oled screen,dual core CPU (hopefully ) and 4g support ..still dreaming here ..

• http://Website Hans

Specs are out. Not even close.

• http://Website Tito!

Oh, & the fact that this might be coming Verizon is ridiculous.
    I Really Hate Verizon! Their starting to get exclusivity on lots of things, and its starting to get annoying.

I personally thought, way back last year or two when this rumor started that T-Mobile would be the lucky ones.
    For a while (for some weird reason?) All my local T-Mobile Stores had on display and sold PSP’s, so I figured it only made sense? Guess not.

I have to applaud Verizon tho if they do get this, because the sales could be potential (not only due to their network size) but some people might like the idea of a gaming phone, I guess; and also, because I know the specs on this phone are ridiculous! & if their are to be more “PlayStation Certified” phones, why not wait for the next one?

Go ahead & Have it Verizon, with Joy! :)

• http://Website Benjamin

I heard that they were going to make UNLOCKED versions of this phone so, it will work with any carrier.

1. WRussomGuest 4 years ago

2. I do love androidandme just wish you had a Europe base so we could figure out who’s gonna get them over here lol.

I will do some digging with my phone seller contacts…

• R.SGuest 4 years ago

3. AustinGuest 4 years ago

Sounds awesome…i just wish Sprint would get some love…for anything!

4. Paul PaulsonGuest 4 years ago

• GomezGuest 4 years ago

The Pyramid and Verdi should be on TMOBILE.

• Tito!Guest 4 years ago

That isn’t to say T-Mo & Sprint aren’t behind.

Android is play pen, have fun in it! :)

G-Slate ♥
      LG Smartphone (3D?) ♥
      Samsung Sidekick ♥
      Galaxy S? Maybe.
      HTC Pyramid? Maybe.
      MotoBLUR ♥
      T-Mobile ♥

5. Mike WongGuest 4 years ago

Xoom for AT&T better not cost $800. I’m hoping it will cost $500 or less.

6. Nexus EddieGuest 4 years ago

I though SE didn’t make CDMA phones?

• BenjaminGuest 4 years ago

7. joseGuest 4 years ago

8. Tito!Guest 4 years ago

Oh, & the fact that this might be coming Verizon is ridiculous.

Go ahead & Have it Verizon, with Joy! :)

9. BenjaminGuest 4 years ago