In just three days, the Samsung Galaxy S 2 will be announced at Mobile World Congress. Samsung has been teasing the unveiling pretty hard, but many of the device’s specs remain a mystery (or should I say, unconfirmed). Today we were graced with two fresh leaks, both claiming to reveal the Galaxy S 2 specs.
The first set of specs was provided by PocketNow, which claims they came from retailer Expansys. They say the Galaxy S 2 has a dual-core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon processor, 4.27-inch WVGA display, 16 GB storage, 512 MB RAM, 8 MP rear camera, 2 MP front-facing camera, and support for HSPA+ networks.
The specs alone sound believable for the type of high-end smartphones we expect to be announced, but the rest of the report includes leaked specs for the Desire 2, Desire HD2, and WildFire 2, all of which include multiple errors or typos. Some oddities include listing the wrong GPU for Qualcomm’s MSM8x60 Snapdragon (Adreno 205 vs Adreno 220), wrong Desire HD2 screen sizie (3.3-inch vs 4.3-inch), less RAM than the original Desire HD (512 MB vs 756 MB), and the Desire 2 using the year-old first-gen Snapdragon (MSM8x50).
Another set of specs appeared on the retail site Mobile Fun. They say the Galaxy S 2 will be powered by Samsung’s dual-core Orion processor (which is what we previously heard) and could be released as soon as March 4th.
New leaked specs from MobileFun:
- Powerful dual-core 1.2GHz Samsung Orion processor
- Ultra sharp 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus screen
- Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0
- NFC technology for contactless payments and more
- 1GB RAM lets you multitask with ease
- Comes with Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- 8MP camera with LED flash and 1080p video recording with 1.3MP front-facing camera for video calls
Everything on this list is also within reason for the current crop of high-end superphones. If I had to pick which specs were more current, I would go with the latter from MobileFun. Their site also list some product details which sounds like something anyone could write, but I included them below so you can be the judge.
Galaxy S 2 product description from MobileFun:
- Powerful dual-core 1.2GHz Samsung Orion processor – Welcome the next generation of smartphone. Featuring the powerful and efficient 1.2GHz Samsung Orion processor, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is less like a phone and more like a computer in your pocket. Run more powerful programs, record and play back full 1080p HD videos, switch between multiple programs on the fly, and much much more.
- Ultra sharp 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus screen – If you thought the screen on the original Galaxy S was good, you haven’t seen anything yet. The Samsung Galaxy S2 features the brand new and exclusive Super AMOLED Plus technology, at a resolution of 800 x 480. This screen has such a high contrast ratio and provides such vivid colours, it’s the closest you can get to lifelike image reproduction on a small screen.
- Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 – Transfer files faster and listen to higher fidelity music with the latest Bluetooth 3.0 technology. With a theoretical transfer rate of 24Mbit/s, you can play your music through a Bluetooth 3.0 headset or speaker with no loss of quality at all.
- NFC technology for contactless payments and more – Another innovative feature of the Samsung Galaxy S2 is NFC compatibility. Whether using your phone for contactless paymenents, or just to pair with a compatible speaker or headset instantly and seamlessly, NFC technology expands the possibilities of your mobile device.
- 1GB RAM lets you multitask with ease – In conjunction with the 1.2GHz dual-core Samsung Orion processor, the Galaxy S2 has 1GB of RAM to help power the latest Android apps. Keep more apps open simultaneously, while developers code newer, more functional apps to take advantage of the latest technology.
- Comes with Android 2.3 Gingerbread – The Samsung Galaxy S2 is preloaded with the latest version of Andriod, 2.3 Gingerbread. This offers the best in security, functionality and speed, while also providing maximum compatibility with the Android Market’s thousands of apps.
- 8MP camera with LED flash and 1080p video recording with 1.3MP front-facing camera for video calls – Share your memories with the 8MP camera with 1080p video recording on the Samsung Galaxy S2. Play back your videos with a mini-HDMI port on any HDTV, letting your friends and family see what you’ve been getting up to. Or if you want them to see what you’re doing while you’re doing it, use the best-in-class 1.3MP front-facing camera to show them in real-time.
The funny thing is that most of these recent specs are actually pretty close to the first leak from July 5, 2010. Back then we were reporting it would come with a “2GHz CPU”, but we now know that’s how some PR folk were describing a dual-core 1 GHz processor. The other specs like a 4.3 inch Super AMOLED 2 display, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, Bluetooth 3.0, and 8 megapixel camera with HD recording sound pretty close to what the final product might be.
Rumored Galaxy S 2 specs from July 2010:
- 4.3” 1280x720px Super AMOLED 2 display
- 2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM/4GB ROM
- 32GB of built-in flash memory, +32GB microSD card slot
- 8 megapixel camera with FullHD video recording
- A-GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi b/g/n
- 3.5 mm headset jack
- Accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensors
What do you think the specs will be?
We now have about 10 versions of the Galaxy S 2 specs, but most of the major hardware components are in agreement. I suspect the Galaxy S 2 will have a dual-core 1.2 GHz Orion CPU, 4.5 inch Super AMOLED Plus display, 1 GB RAM, 16/32 GB storage, NFC, Bluetooth 3.0, and support for multiple 4G networks. It’s not too hard to figure out that Samsung is aiming to have the best superphone, and they have the resources to go out and get the best available components.
If you want to see what the final Galaxy S 2 specs are, make sure watch the live broadcast on February 13th at SamsungUnpacked.