The Sidekick 4G was just announced this week and T-Mobile already has a quick hands-on video to show off the device. Expected to be available later this spring, the Sidekick 4G is designed for “social mavens and texting addicts”. Staying true to Sidekick brand, the updated model will feature a five-row QWERTY keyboard and come in two stylish colors (matte black or pearl magenta).
Some may label the Sidekick 4G as a mid-range Android phone because of its single-core CPU, but the 1 GHz Hummingbird processor is one of the fastest around and can run just about every game with ease. Other features like a front-facing camera and support for HSPA+ 21 Mbps downloads make the Sidekick 4G one of the best “mid-range” phones we have seen.
Exact pricing and availability is still unavailable, but T-Mobile is expected to announce more details in the coming weeks. Hopefully that information will come out next week at CTIA in Orlando.
Check out the video below and let us know what you think of the Sidekick’s design and unique pop-tilt hinge. Is the Sidekick 4G a worthy upgrade for this storied franchise?
Additional features to enhance messaging include:
- Group Text – lets customers create, name, manage and participate in reply-all group text conversations, enabling them to lead their social network in planning and conversation.
- Cloud Text – provides users the option to text with friends or groups from the comfort of their PC’s large screen and keyboard. All messages are synchronized between the Web App and their new Sidekick 4G.
- Social Media – Facebook and Twitter applications are preloaded for easy interaction with social networks, with features such as status updates straight from the notification pane and browse feeds from the home screen. Users can also sync social network contacts to the phone’s address book, which lets them instantly post to their friends’ walls or comment on a status.
- Jump Key – multitasking is easier than ever with the Jump Key, an easy to access physical button that enables customers to quickly switch between active applications or assign keyboard shortcuts to favorite functions or applications.
- Sidekick UI – a custom-designed User Interface brings Sidekick style to life, including artist designed wallpapers, themes and ringtones and many custom SMS capabilities like Sticky Widget, Notification Pop-Up, Universal Composer and more.