Today T-Mobile officially announced the G2x with Google by LG. Expected to be available this spring (around April 20th), the G2x will become T-Mobile’s first smartphone with a dual-core CPU.
“More consumers than ever are turning to their smartphones to stay entertained wherever they are with access to their favorite video games, TV programs and more,” said Andrew Sherrard, SVP marketing, T-Mobile USA. “By combining the latest innovative hardware and pre-loaded content with our 4G network and the power of the dual core processor, the G2x offers the mobile gaming and entertainment experience our customers crave.”
The G2x is T-Mobile’s version of the LG Optimus 2X, so it features the same exact hardware as the global version. Highlights of the G2x include a Tegra 2 mobile processor with dual-core CPU, 4-inch WVGA display, 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash and autofocus, front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera, 8 GB internal storage, 512 MB RAM, and support for T-Mobile’s 4G HSPA+ network.
However when it comes to software, T-Mobile stayed true to the G-series and went with a stock version of Android 2.2. It would have been nice if it shipped with the newer Android 2.3, but we hear an update is already in testing and should be available shortly after launch.
For an idea of what to expect from the G2x, check out our LG Optimus 2X report card.
Pre-loaded games and apps include:
- Need for Speed SHIFT HD, developed by Electronic Arts (EA), is an award-winning, authentic racing game that combines the true driver’s experience with real-world physics, pixel-perfect car models, and a wide range of authentic race tracks.
- DTS Ultra Mobile, which includes two innovative audio technologies — DTS Envelo and DTS Boost — for a premium surround sound experience. When listening to music or playing games on the T-Mobile G2x, customers will enjoy rich, enhanced sound that adds depth, dimension and volume levels that are robust without distortion.
- A demo of Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance – N.O.V.A., developed by Gameloft, is a fast-paced sci-fi action game in which players operate as Kal Wardin, an elite soldier established to protect humanity from alien threats.
- T-Mobile TV, offering live and on-demand TV including news, sports and full-length entertainment, plus full episodes of your favorite shows.
- Zinio eReader, the largest online newsstand, enabling customers to shop for, search inside, read, share and save digital content in new ways with more than 75,000 digital magazines from 26 countries.
- T-Mobile Video Chat powered by Qik, enabling video conversations with friends and family through T-Mobile’s network and Wi-Fi.