Apr 02 AT 1:13 PM Nick Gray 24 Comments

LTE OnOFF brings network toggle support to the HTC Thunderbolt

For the most part, Android phones have always suffered from poor battery life.  It’s not necessarily faulty coding within the OS, but being connected and continuously pulling data from the web can dramatically affect how long your Android phone will last.   But things seem to be a little different for the HTC Thunderbolt and its 4G LTE connection on Verizon’s network.  Customers are complaining that the battery on the Thunderbolt drains a lot faster than it should and most are blaming the devie’s LTE connection.  We’ve spent a good amount of time with the handset and can attest to the battery issues.  We were able to squeeze 7-8 hours of life out of the Thunderbolt’s battery, but that’s a lot less than the 10-12 hours we are typically used to.

In order to lend a helping hand, TeamAndIRC has just launched LTE OnOFF which gives Thunderbolt users the ability to easily toggle the device’s preferred network settings.  Simply open the application and you’re presented with the option to switch between five different settings.

Many of the comments on the Android Market indicate that switching off the Thunderbolt’s LTE connection does help improve battery life.  While we can’t guarantee that LTE OnOFF will get you an extra 2-3 hours of battery life, it will at least give you the ability to control your handset’s data connection as you please.

Be sure to leave us a note if LTE OnOFF makes a difference for you.  We’re hoping that HTC and Verizon are already keeping a close eye on the Thunderbolt’s battery woes and will soon be releasing afix of their own.

Source: HTC Source

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

I fault verizon for this ERROR not HTC. They made a device according to the specification from the carrier so it’s pretty clear that verizon has NO KNOWLEDGE of how to better control there LTE technology on the device. NOR did they even consider the use of the handset by there current or potential new customers all they WORRY ABOUT IS TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES. Who in there right mind wants a device made where the consumer HAS NO CONTROL OVER THE USE OF THERE DEVICE or can’t SHUT OFF LTE WHEN THEY WANT TOO??? Through all the issues that have existed with this thunderdud device on verzion NEVER ONE TIME HAS VERIZON STOOD UP TO ADDRESS THERE CUSTOMERS NOR HAVE THEY CAME UP WITH ANY SOLUTIONS WHEN ISSUES HAVE ARISEN.. The android community has been the place that has found every WORK AROUND SOLUTION FOR EVERY PROBLEM this device has had and it’s been so many. Thank God Sprint understands the use of related 4g technologies and how that is translated into our handsets The HTC EVO 4G was an industry leading giant and to this day we never had any of the related issues as the thunderdud has had lets remember how all this crazy stuff started with not even knowing when the launch day would be. One thing is for sure this device is and never will be NO HTC EVO 4G… yeah htc made but definitely all android devices are not the same and neither are business relationships that is a reflection of the carrier as well. VERIZON WILL NEVER BE SPRINT THE HTC EVO 3D proves that point so well. Go play with your BROKEN DOWN THUNDERDUD and don’t forget to carry three extra batteries with you every day while your SO CALLED FAST NETWORK DRAINS YOUR DEVICE DRY

• http://Website Ben

Gosh Richard, I hope you feel better now. :-)
      My Thunderbolt is quite the upgrade from my HTC Eris and I’m fairly happy with it despite the poor battery life. That being said, since I got the phone, I’ve been using the “phone Info” app to control the 3G/LTE toggle. Works fine and the battery life is significantly better on regular 3G.
      One other problem that IS starting to bug me is that I’m no longer receiving all text messages. My wife and several others have sent me many, but I don’t get them. Not sure if this is the phone or a side effect of rooting it or what. I’m about to spend some time with VZW tech support to figure it out. They receive my texts, but not the other way around.
      All in all, I think it’s a good phone and I expected some issues with it being the first “4G/LTE” device out there. They’ll get it worked out eventually.

• http://Website Jennifer

So everyone knows that there should be a data switch, first off there is a way to you just have to go to the settings menu, second of all have you week any LG androids, no way to turn data off at all. If I am jot mistaken the only phones I have seen with the data switch built in is HTC including thunderbolt. Just doesn’t have a icon for it. Get your facts straight.

• http://Website Jerry

I will be happy to pay your ETF if you would just go and drop off the face of the earth dude.STFU with your homo rants.

• http://Website Jay

Actually the evo was criticized early on for having terrible battery life and switches were made to turn off wimax but whatever. The evo is a nice phone but it’s really showing its age, I think with a processor refresh it could still hang with the big boys. The evo 3d looks like a good phone except the battery life is gonna be horrible in 3d mode and I’m upset htc is still using snapdragons. Shoulda went with a tegra as that’s the lead developing platform these days. I doubt google would switch platforms between honeycomb and ice cream. You’re a sprint customer so definitely snag an evo 3d as that’s probably the best you guys will have till christmas.

• http://Website adam

Actually… The snapdragon going into the 3D outperforms the tegra 2 in most situations. Dual core snapdragon ftw

• http://Website Jay

I read that as well, but isn’t the snapdragon also clocked higher? Somewhere around 1.2ghz to 1.5ghz? If the tegra is ever overclocked I bet the benchmarks would tilt back on our favor. Snapdragon just has the cheap feeling to it I think. They were first to 1ghz but still the lesser clocked omap and hummingbird ran circles around it. My worry was the lack of speedy updates for snapdragons. The development processor gets the first updates like snapdragon with 2.1+2.2 and hummingbird with 2.3. 3.0 is for the tegras and I highly doubt google would switch out development platforms from 3.0 to ice cream much like they did with eclair to froyo. I’m sure they would use the multicore snapdragon come 3.x jelly bean unless the quad tegra launches before hand. Whatever the case may be, pick whatever phone has the best features as the reliance on processor power is becoming less relevant. I love my atrix but could use my n1 comfortably again should my atrix die.

• http://Website revs

lol it seems ot me this phone is like verizond crash dummy for lte
    ill stick with my hspa+ and decent battery life on my mt4g
    then when the merger is complete
    evo 3d here i come

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

I wouldn’t worry too much about the merger i don’t think that will happen. Many people of importance are forming now to stop that from happening. Meanwhile these Htc Evo3d is the best device made by htc on any carrier you will truly enjoy this device on the now network where UNLIMITED DATA TRULY MEANS UNLIMITED DATA… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlkT7gRM0xo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• http://Website JB

“Many people of importance are forming now to stop that from happening” From what source do you get this information?

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

@Ben…. I wish you luck with your device. Maybe rooting it can be the answer it’s the stock device with all the problems. Htc is great they always will be the android community has helped this device alot I hope that continues.

• http://Website RAPTOR

HTC EVO 4G people are even more annoying then iPhonies.

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

Your so creative your probably a verizon fanboy

• http://Website RAPTOR

I am anti-idiots boy

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

Great for you… wow

• http://Website Richard Yarrell
  • http://Website Nick

Obvious troll is obvious.

• http://Website Mr Guzz

Download: Advanced Task Killer App and lower the brightness on your phone….It help increase the battery life.

• http://Website n2imagination

task killer have actually been shown to not be as effective since you are essentially interrupting the normal task mgt processes that the phone already has implemented.

• http://Website cb2000a

It’s called a bigger battery HTC….get it?

• http://Website jwb

This is among the worst UIs I’ve ever seen.

• http://Website BERSERKR88

Htc has no idea how to make a phone that has decent battery life. Why do you think the Thunderbolt was delayed for so long. If they don’t get there head out of their ass, they are going to have the same problems with the Evo 3d. I had the problem with my Evo 4g getting only 5 hrs just sitting idle before having to put it back on the charger. Finally dumped the Evo 4g for the Moto Atrix, and am now getting over 2 days with above average usage.
    @Richard-Hope you have a long charging cord for the over hyped Htc Evo 3d. It could be the most advanced phone on the market, but if it can’t keep a charge for more than a couple of hours, then your going to have one over priced BRICK.

• http://Website JR

The battery on my thunderbolt is better than the Dinc i had previously and i’m constantly on a 4G connection. I tried the LTE onoff and it just killed my radio, not switch to CDMA. I had to connect to wifi to re-download LTE onoff and re-enable the LTE radio.

If people were smart enough to wipe the phone first when you get it, you’d have much better battery life. If you’re not one of these people, you can call verizon and complain about the battery life and get a free car charger or extra wall charger.

1. Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

• BenGuest 4 years ago

Gosh Richard, I hope you feel better now. :-)

• JenniferGuest 4 years ago

• JerryGuest 4 years ago

• JayGuest 4 years ago

• adamGuest 4 years ago

• JayGuest 4 years ago

2. revsGuest 4 years ago

lol it seems ot me this phone is like verizond crash dummy for lte
    ill stick with my hspa+ and decent battery life on my mt4g
    then when the merger is complete
    evo 3d here i come

• Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

• JBGuest 4 years ago

3. Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

4. RAPTORGuest 4 years ago

HTC EVO 4G people are even more annoying then iPhonies.

• Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

Your so creative your probably a verizon fanboy

5. Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

Great for you… wow

6. Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

FALL BACK HATERS… Nothing beats HTC EVO 3D… http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/55140-htc-evo-3ds-processor-beats-all

7. NickGuest 4 years ago

Obvious troll is obvious.

8. Mr GuzzGuest 4 years ago

• n2imaginationGuest 4 years ago

9. cb2000aGuest 4 years ago

It’s called a bigger battery HTC….get it?

10. jwbGuest 4 years ago

This is among the worst UIs I’ve ever seen.

11. BERSERKR88Guest 4 years ago