Barnes & Noble’s Nook Color was the first Android eReader, and among the first Android tablets released. Though the device was not meant to be used as a fully functional tablet, it gained much usability after developers started messing with the insides of this device (which actually has a lot of potential for a $250 gadget). The tablet has even had some Honeycomb action already, which is impressive. To take a look at everything you can do to a Nook Color, head over to NookDevs and check out its true potential.
Aside from devs playing around with the Nook, this tablet has not received much support, with only one update in the past, version 1.1.0 (with bug fixes and performance improvements). For those that have been waiting for some love straight from Barnes & Nobles, today is your lucky day. The Nook Color has been officially announced to receive an upgrade to version 1.2.0, which actually adds some more tablet-like features, as well as some other Nook additions.
The NOOK Color Ver1.2.0 update contains new features and enhancements, including:
Access to shop a broad collection of popular NOOK Appsâ„¢ to enjoy great games, stay up to date on news and weather, and more Full-featured free email to check and send web-based email (i.e., Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL) all from one in-box NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo offers system improvements, browser performance and a more complete Web experience giving customers access to enjoy even more video, interactive and animated content. NOOK Color now includes support for Adobe® Flash® Player NOOK Kidsâ„¢ exciting new Read and Play titles that bring animation, activities and stories together NOOK Books Enhanced offer in-page video and audio in a growing number of titles Enhancements to magazine navigation making it easier to enjoy even more of the growing selection of magazines in NOOK Newsstand NOOK Friendsâ„¢ (beta) to see your friends’ reading activities, swap books with LendMeâ„¢, share recommendations and discover new titles
Barnes & Nobles
The update will start rolling out today, and according to Barnes & Nobles, it should arrive your device sometime this week. For those that are not very patient, there is actually a way to manually update the device, and Barnes and Nobles has given us some instructions to perform the manual update.
To get the update immediately, you can manually download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK Color. Simply follow the steps below. If you choose to wait for an automatic download when you’re connected to Wi-Fi, updates will begin rolling out to devices over the next few days:
Manual Download Instructions
1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. SelectSave and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file’s name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
2. Tap Settings on your NOOK Color’s Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK Color battery charge is at 20% or more.
3. Connect your NOOK Color to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK Color. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK Color drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a “USB Mode” message on your NOOK Color screen.
4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK Color drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK Color drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK Color drive after the file transfer is complete.
6. Your NOOK Color will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
7. Please do not turn off your NOOK Color during the installation process.
8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK Color will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.
9. On the bottom left status bar a green “n” will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.
NOOK Color must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOK Color will reboot itself back to the Home screen. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK Color and check to see that your software version is 1.2.0.
Congratulations, your NOOK Color has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665. Barnes & Nobles
Though the Nook is still officially not a full-featured tablet, it is nice to see some improvements and additions that make it closer to what a tablet should be. With all the hackery that the Nook Color has received, people may not even be that excited about this update, though. What do you guys think? Do we even care for this update? Are we already comfortable with the work that our friends (developers) have done?