May 10 AT 12:54 PM Alberto Vildosola 22 Comments

Google partners with manufacturers and carriers to speed up Android updates

Are you sick and tired of waiting for your carrier or phone manufacturer to roll out the latest Android update? Fear not, Google feels your pain. The company just announced at the Google I/O keynote that it’s partnering with wireless carriers and OEMs with the goal of speeding up the updating process.

Initially, Google has partnered with the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Sprint, and Verizon. On the hardware side, the partners are HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, and Motorola. These companies have agreed to update their phones for at least 18 months after release. Knowing that your phone won’t become obsolete the next time Google releases a new update, certainly brings piece of mind to many would-be buyers.

Additionally, from now on Google will dictate guidelines on how long it takes for a device to be updated. Hopefully, this means we’ll no longer have to wait six months to get Android’s latest and greatest. It seems like Google wants to standardize the update process and the time it takes to update an Android phone — and that’s all fine by us. Meanwhile, I’ll be here dreaming about the day all Android phones get updated one month after Google announces an update.

Alberto is a college student living somewhere between Miami, Sarasota and the World Wide Web. Although a former iPhone owner, Alberto is now a proud Android enthusiast. You can follow Alberto on Twitter and Google+ for his thoughts unworthy of an article.

• Nate B.

I really hope this helps.

• ALEKSANDR

40 лет комментарии жизнь проходит не стоит на месте интересы жизненные ценности многое нарушено што делать то есть происходящее воокруг вчерашний день не хватает проблем

• http://Website Marcus

This is so cool. I have a Nexus One and I want to switch to a G2X. I was afraid of not being able to have the OTA updates sent out by Google but now I have peace of mind!

• Lee

We’re talking to you Samsung!

• Dutch

• http://Website Guesty McGuesterson

So my Samsung Epic might get an official Gingerbread release before it goes end of life?!

Good news for all from Google!

• http://Website Fahad

That explained nothing… they’ve been saying they want to do this for ever but nothing has come to fruition… did they outline some sort of game plan on how they plan to accomplish this feat?

• http://Website GeuaxLSU

I wish they would have done it for at least 2 years to will out a contract term. If a person waits 3 months after a phone is released to buy it and has a 2 year contract, you’re looking at 9 months of contract time without updates. If android isn’t release any updates in the last 3 months of the 18 month window, that person is now looking at no updates for half of the contract.

I think part of the deal should have requires unlockable bootloaders. I am running 2.3.4 on my Droid.

• http://Website ANOTHER ROUND OF FRAGMENTATION

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• kwills88

• http://Website Ryan Kim

Wouldn’t it be awesome if google, on stage, pressed a big button as they announced a new version of Android and every android device in the world was updated?

• http://Website Dr. Samsung, CEO of betrayal & customer genocide

they should drop scamsung immediately

• http://Website Richard Yarrell

Hopefully this will be helpful for all of us

• thomas mc

It won’t. It was all just a PR stunt, none of them are following through on their “promise”.

• http://Website suraj

hope so it happens im fed up using 2.1 on xperia x8 hope sony understands our pain too and updates it to 2.3

• Patrick

What’s wrong with samsung? They make great phones. And have the largest percentage of android phones out there.

• Thomas Mc

They don’t support their phones. I have a 4 month old phone with Gingerbread, and they have NO plan to upgrade the OS to Jelly Bean. iPhone is looking better and better all the time.

• Andy

Android updates is one of the main reasons an iPhone is starting to look more attractive to me. I own an Incredible 2 and I’m still waiting for an update to Ice Cream Sandwich.

• TU

Any chance we can get a follow-up from Google about this alliance?

Looks like Motorola is the latest of manufacturers to swallow their words and not provide updates to devices within the 18 month window.

Ars Technia – Motorola Reneges… http://bit.ly/SXNwqT

• Thomas Mc

Except it’s all a lie. Neither Motorola nor Samsung are abiding by this. It’s like they are deliberately trying to drive their customers to buy iPhones the next time around!

• Sandman619

Seriously, the best that Google hopes for is that users receive OS updates for ¾ of their contract term ? That’s pathetic. An iPhone gets updates for 3 – 4 years. Granted, not every feature works on older processors, but users still get updates with security fixes and new features

Cheers !

1. I really hope this helps.

• ALEKSANDRGuest 2 years ago

2. MarcusGuest 4 years ago

3. LeeGuest 4 years ago

We’re talking to you Samsung!

4. Funny how old Sammy didn’t want to be a part of that partnership. Why do some folks still buy their crap

5. Guesty McGuestersonGuest 4 years ago

Good news for all from Google!

6. FahadGuest 4 years ago

7. GeuaxLSUGuest 4 years ago

8. ANOTHER ROUND OF FRAGMENTATIONGuest 4 years ago

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

9. Can we have another download option.. Google should just create an update download site where you have to select your phone and see if it meets requirements in order to download the update.zip..I am all for OTA’s when you’re on the go and not near a computer..but what if you’re already home or near a computer..Google is all about option and people hate waiting for OTA’s to reach their devices because of their carriers delaying them.

10. Ryan KimGuest 4 years ago

11. Dr. Samsung, CEO of betrayal & customer genocideGuest 4 years ago

they should drop scamsung immediately

12. Richard YarrellGuest 4 years ago

Hopefully this will be helpful for all of us

• thomas mcGuest 2 years ago

13. surajGuest 4 years ago

14. PatrickGuest 3 years ago

• Thomas McGuest 2 years ago

15. AndyGuest 3 years ago

16. TUGuest 2 years ago

Any chance we can get a follow-up from Google about this alliance?

Ars Technia – Motorola Reneges… http://bit.ly/SXNwqT