Jun 07 AT 9:35 PM Anthony Domanico 12 Comments

NVIDIA to critics: Tegra 2 fully compatible with Verizon’s LTE network

Rumors have been spreading around, pertaining to why the Droid Bionic was delayed and why the Verizon Motorola Xoom has taken so long to receive the 4G LTE upgrade. One of the oft-suspected culprits is the idea that NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor doesn’t play nice with Verizon’s super-fast 4G LTE Network.

Well, it turns out NVIDIA was none too happy with these rumors. In an attempt to silence critics, NVIDIA issued the following statement today regarding Tegra’s compatibility with Verizon’s LTE network:

Tegra has no compatibility issues with LTE at all. The Tegra-powered Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G LTE tablet runs on Verizon’s LTE network and is a perfect example of Tegra working fine w/ 4G LTE. Tegra 2 interfaces with many types of modems via standard interfaces, including LTE. There is nothing inherently unique about LTE as far as Tegra 2 is concerned.NVIDIAvia Droid-Life

I’m not big on taking statements at face value, but I look forward to the day when I’m able to get my hands on a Tegra 2-toting LTE device to test out for myself. Hopefully we’ll start to see these devices pop up in the next month or two.

Now that NVIDIA has cleared this one up, anyone want to speculate on why the Bionic was delayed? How about the Motorola Xoom? Or do you not buy NVIDIA’s statement about their processor? Sound off below.

Source: Droid-Life

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• http://Website TDizzle86

For the time being, I don’t buy it. The lack of a single Tegra 2 LTE device speaks volumes on its on, and coupled with the inevitable delay of the Bionic, it all seems suspect. How long did it take Sprint to push out the EVO after Wimax was up and running again?

• http://Website Derek

I guess you’re either blind or just stupid. Did you not read the part where it says the Samsung 10.1 tablet works perfectly find on Verizon 4G LTE??

• Good_Ole_Pinocchio

• http://Website metafor

There really is no technical reason why the apps processor has anything to do with whether or not the modem will work. Unless there’s some glaring flaw in Tegra 2′s I/O interfaces (which I would think would be quite apparent by now), the choice of apps processor should have zero affect on what modem can be used.

As to the revision of the Bionic, I don’t know. Perhaps the power requirements for Tegra 2 just didn’t meld well with the power-hungry LTE modem.

• http://Website Mr Cuban

BEAT THE HEAT!
    BEAT THE HEAT!
    BEAT THE HEAT!

DONE.

• Richard Yarrell

• http://Website Kevin

I’m no electrical engineer, but the idea that the Tegra2 is at fault for LTE modems not working has sounded far fetched to me from the start. The idea that the processor is preventing a network device from working just doesn’t add up. I think the more likely scenario is that Moto just doesn’t have LTE nailed down yet. Do they have any LTE devices at all?

• http://punmobile.net punzz

bussiness strategy maybe, I dont have any idea about that “rumors”

• http://Website alfpope

Where did this rumor start in the first place? This is silly. As metafor stated, there is no technical reason at all why a Tegra wouldn’t work with LTE. LTE functionality is completely determined by the modem, which is separate from the Tegra processor. The interface between the two is probably SDIO or even USB, both of which are completely standard.

If there are no LTE phones with Tegra processors, it’s far more likely just a result of other unrelated design issues encountered by manufacturers and/or just the fact that LTE is new, limiting the current choice of handsets.

• http://Website Zer0-9

Isn’t the upcoming Samsung 10″ tablet using Tegra2 and LTE?

I’d say that pretty well proves the statement.

• http://Website bkd69

Saying that Tegra doesn’t work well with LTE is like saying that Athlon doesn’t work well with DSL, or i7 doesn’t work well with DOCSIS.

• osatrevor

I think it is safe to say the burden is on Verizon, not Nvidia!

1. TDizzle86Guest 4 years ago

• DerekGuest 4 years ago

• Don’t be defensive. . . No one has put their hands on the LTE TAB… we don’t know how well it works or how good the battery life would be. The fact that NONE of VZW’s new phones wither has ONE or the OTHER and NEVER BOTH…. especially the fact that the Bionic has basically been pushed back into oblivion does say alot.

2. metaforGuest 4 years ago

3. Mr CubanGuest 4 years ago

BEAT THE HEAT!
    BEAT THE HEAT!
    BEAT THE HEAT!

DONE.

4. LTE doesn’t play nice with he Thunderbolt neither…Rather verizon and there customers choose to except this issue or not the LTE network has a major problem….Nvidia just might be INNOCENT in this matter….

5. KevinGuest 4 years ago

6. punzzGuest 4 years ago

bussiness strategy maybe, I dont have any idea about that “rumors”

7. alfpopeGuest 4 years ago

8. Zer0-9Guest 4 years ago

Isn’t the upcoming Samsung 10″ tablet using Tegra2 and LTE?

I’d say that pretty well proves the statement.

9. bkd69Guest 4 years ago

10. How about the lack of EVEN ONE dual core phone on the LTE network? Three phones out and all with single core processors? How about the fact that all three phones have issues… Verizon’s network LTE network has been up an running for how long, and we don’t have a single device that operates well on it yet?

I think it is safe to say the burden is on Verizon, not Nvidia!