Jul 27 AT 4:34 PM Dustin Earley 49 Comments

Look out, Swype, here comes TouchPal

touchpal

Everyday thousands of phones are sent home with Swype as the default keyboard. As far as innovative replacement keyboards for Android go, none have been quite as popular as Swype. Others have tried, but so far no one can match the speed, accuracy and natural feeling Swype provides. In the battle for kingship, it looks like Swype is the sole owner of the crown. Fortunately for consumers, not everyone is going to sit back and let king enjoy his reign.

Announced in a series of tweets today, replacement keyboard developer TouchPal has made it clear they’re coming back. And this time they’re bringing more innovation than ever. Do the folks at TouchPal have what it takes to get their keyboard to the top? If the blind typing, predictive sliding and smart prediction work as well as their promotional video would have you believe, Swype should be worried.

Of course until that promotional video becomes something more than just a video, TouchPal doesn’t have much room to talk. The newest beta hasn’t even been released to the public yet, so real-world performance is still a total mystery. If you’d like to get in on the beta testing slated to go live soon, follow TouchPal for more information. Until then, be sure to check out the demo video below and let us know what you think in the comments.

Source: TouchPal

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• http://www.mlswanson.com SparkyXI

• bobtentpeg

Swype doesn’t release things to endusers because their business model is OEM licensing.

• alanthemanofchicago

uuhhh…., isn’t that what Swype Beta is? A release to endusers?

• Dustin Earley

Swype Beta is a beta.

• RockinEvo

Impressive also like the fact at the end of the video it stated available for android and iPhone coming soon, as it should b

• jbrandonf

I’m not all that hungup on Swype. Used it on my G2 and turned it off after a few weeks. It’s fun, but when I do want to type out a word so I can learn it the letter I’m pressing *glows* instead of popping up so it reduces my typing speed.

HTC’s version of Swype on the Sensation and Evo3D is perfect as the keyboard is roomy, accurate when swiping, and when I want to type out letters the key will pop above my thumb so I can see what letter I’m pressing.

• dtgbaby

Coming soon on iphone. That’s optimistic

• NuLL.n.VoiD

I used Swype for the last 2 years and it’s been great but FlexT9 won me over since it could swipe, tap, draw and do voice recognition. TouchPal will have to work really hard to get me to plunk down more money.

• Greg

Uhh, Swype can do all of that except for draw…which you have to admit is just a gimmick.

• BiGMERF

There is nothing wrong with more options…..

• eddieonofre

SWYPE, TOUCHPAL
    nah don’t call me attention i’m an all fashion T9 keyboard lover
    maybe for landscape mode swype, touchpal, etc are nice but lets be honest people uses their phones in portait mode like 80% of the time, and in portrait mode there is nothing better than a good reliable T9 keyboard
    the best one i found is smart keyboard, but if anyone know another good t9 keyboard im all ears.

• Dj

Not really I for one use my phone in landscape maybe 75% of the time if not more

• Chimpo

I use portrait/landscape about equally and swype in both modes with ease

• obvioustroll

You mean ‘old fashioned’.

• http://keridel.blogspot.com keridel

i have really enjoyed using swype but dont rate it on my tablet.

would be willing to give this a try..

• Gunderstorm

At last! Swype needs some competition!

• SliestDragon

• Interpol91

• Kikoperiko

Dear Androidandme,

Where is Blind Type? Was it all just a joke? Will it ever come? Any follow up would be greatly appreciated.

Souce:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPs7lW1R88E

Thanx,

Kiko

• oscillik

Google bought it, so expect it to be implemented into the stock Android keyboard sometime.

• http://www.youtube.com/emogamer Christopher Chavez

Yeah, expected back on Gingerbread. Then Honeycomb. Lets see if it makes the cut for Ice Cream Sammie… =p

• http://www.bradleclerc.com Brad

Oh, it’s in the android market already, guess I’ll have to give it a shot!

• http://www.youtube.com/emogamer Christopher Chavez

• Mike

My biggest complaint about Android is the landscape keyboard mode.

Google needs to get rid of the text box that comes up when using any keyboard in landscape mode.

• androidlover94

I just typed this to show how good each keyboard is.

I just typed this own swype.
    This is typed on touch pal.
    Now reglar android keyboard.
    This is on Flext9.

• cvette83

• Nate B.

• Roger Rabbi

• rev2redlineguy

• rev2redlineguy

• chekorama

the version available on the market is the old version, the new version on the video is coming soon to the android market.

• Lulu

Wow. Both Swype and Swiftkey should be very worried now. I’m gonna try it now

• http://twitter.com/mcmex McMex

I was a huge TouchPal fan on Winmo but they never really came out with a good Android version. I have been watching their site for more than a year waiting and then found Swiftkey. Let the competition begin for the predictive text keyboards. :)

• aj

• Jon

I know I’m nitpicking, but we’re talking about a software keyboard on a several hundred dollar piece of tech that, in the end, none of us _actually_ need. First world problems, indeed.

• ayeroxor

Nobody else has said it? What the FUCK was with that “music”?

• Kim Blumpkin

MA MA MA MA MA POKER FACE

• revs

just downloaded it from market total shit
    there is none of tht swype like input and half the shit is in chinese lol

• Jason

Um… as EVERYBODY is saying, the swype version is not on the market yet. You have to follow them on twitter to get the beta version with swype. If you read the first sentence of the description you would see that “This is NOT the version with TouchPal Curve (swiping input) in the video.:

• revs

o jeeze well its still a shit keyboard swype ,swiftkey,n my htc keyboard are all much better n more responsive

• Sherry Williams

There is NOTHING better in the Android Market than MessagEase keyboard! It’s the fastest, most accurate, bar none. it’s a completely new concept and as such takes some getting used to. see the video ( http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jduWyhwjsdI) and give it a good try

• JoAnn

No microphone key. Fail. Trust me, even with Swype, there are sometimes when speaking text just works better.

• JoAnn

Whoops, my bad. Didn’t see it there above the keyboard. Never mind!

• http://www.gplus.to/mikewallace I_Artist

I’ve been using TouchPal since my Magic on 1.6. It’s by far my favorite keyboard.

• Futureboy

It looks as if they removed my favorite feature of the original version. You used to be able to swipe a letter up to capitalize and swipe down for the symbol/punctuation that was on each key. That was a wicked time saver, especially when you’re sending work emails with tons of all caps acronyms. They may still have the swipe to cap, but it looks like the swipe for punctuation has been removed. I think SwiftKey may still have them beat as it gives you relevant word predictions without typing a thing. Regardless, it looks like a nice improvement over the original.

• codesplice

By the way, if you don’t want to wait for your name to come up for the official beta invite from TouchPal, you can head over to http://goo.gl/RSU2S and grab the apk ahead of time to try out. I got it this morning, and I’m quite pleased with it so far.

• http://www.askyourandroid.com/ Android Apps Review

Wow! amazing, It looks like TouchPal has the better UI than the Swype. Love to use and reviewing it in my website :)

• jh

Hey, touchpal beta is now available in the market, time for a new post, dustin?

• Countrygirl229

Does it work for the htc incredible 2? I

1. Ooo! A potential Swype competitor? I’m all about trying that. I mean, Swype refuses to ever fully and officially release something, so why not, right?

• bobtentpegGuest 4 years ago

2. RockinEvoGuest 4 years ago

• jbrandonfGuest 4 years ago

3. dtgbabyGuest 4 years ago

Coming soon on iphone. That’s optimistic

4. NuLL.n.VoiDGuest 4 years ago

• GregGuest 4 years ago

5. There is nothing wrong with more options…..

6. SWYPE, TOUCHPAL
    nah don’t call me attention i’m an all fashion T9 keyboard lover

• DjGuest 4 years ago

• ChimpoGuest 4 years ago

I use portrait/landscape about equally and swype in both modes with ease

• obvioustrollGuest 4 years ago

You mean ‘old fashioned’.

7. i have really enjoyed using swype but dont rate it on my tablet.

would be willing to give this a try..

8. GunderstormGuest 4 years ago

At last! Swype needs some competition!

9. Glad to see them coming back. Touchpal was my favorite keyboard back in the cupcake days. :)

10. I loved Swype but it can’t beat the speed I have using Swiftkey X. If the reviews are good once TouchPal comes out I’ll give it a try.

11. KikoperikoGuest 4 years ago

Dear Androidandme,

Souce:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPs7lW1R88E

Thanx,

Kiko

• oscillikGuest 4 years ago

12. BradGuest 4 years ago

Oh, it’s in the android market already, guess I’ll have to give it a shot!

• Touchpal Curve is the version you’re looking for and that’s not yet available in the Market. Only through TouchPal’s twitter =/

13. MikeGuest 4 years ago

My biggest complaint about Android is the landscape keyboard mode.

14. androidlover94Guest 4 years ago

I just typed this to show how good each keyboard is.

I just typed this own swype.
    This is typed on touch pal.
    Now reglar android keyboard.
    This is on Flext9.

15. I use Swype as my default keyboard but this looks very impressive. Will definitely be giving it a shot.

16. My slow butt was wondering why it wouldn’t swyoe when I downloaded it from the market. Duh! The swyoe version isn’t out just yet. All the hype made me think it was.

17. I switch back and forth between Swype and Swiftkey all the time. Swype is fast, but Swiftkey’s predictive text is unbeatable. If TouchPal is using the same learning method (SMS, Gmail, etc.), then I think I’ve found the perfect keyboard.

18. Installing it now on my Evo and testing it out. Looks very good and promising but we’ll see. Update to follow soon.

19. Ok so I installed it and tried it but within about 10 minutes uninstalled it. The keyboard just doesn’t work even close to what the video shows. It won’t let you type in landscape and it seemed too slow to respond. I went back to my Swiftkey X which is so much easier and more fluid to use.

• chekoramaGuest 4 years ago

20. LuluGuest 4 years ago

Wow. Both Swype and Swiftkey should be very worried now. I’m gonna try it now

21. McMexGuest 4 years ago

22. Im actually pretty interested. If swift key and swype had a baby i im pretty this is the result. Touchpal

23. I’m not a huge fan of the predictive text thing. What if I wanted to type “acknowledged” instead? Now I’m stuck tapping the backspace key, then editing the word, and I tend to keep the “insert a space after each word” setting on so odds are it will put a space after the g, so then I’ll have to wrestle with getting the cursor in the right place and deleting the space!

24. ayeroxorGuest 4 years ago

Nobody else has said it? What the FUCK was with that “music”?

25. Kim BlumpkinGuest 4 years ago

MA MA MA MA MA POKER FACE

26. revsGuest 4 years ago

just downloaded it from market total shit
    there is none of tht swype like input and half the shit is in chinese lol

• JasonGuest 4 years ago

• revsGuest 4 years ago

27. Sherry WilliamsGuest 4 years ago

28. JoAnnGuest 4 years ago

• JoAnnGuest 4 years ago

Whoops, my bad. Didn’t see it there above the keyboard. Never mind!

29. I_ArtistGuest 4 years ago

30. FutureboyGuest 4 years ago

• Both the swipe-up and swipe-down functions are still in place, though you have to choose whether you want the Swype-like input or the swipe-up/down action. They tend to interfere with each other.

31. Android Apps ReviewGuest 4 years ago

32. jhGuest 4 years ago

Hey, touchpal beta is now available in the market, time for a new post, dustin?

33. Countrygirl229Guest 3 years ago